F - 9.9 m. EZ
    S - 4.1 EZ
    S - 17 m with Glass City Half Marathon
    Total - 52 miles for the week

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @katharmonic - I would say that @MobyCarp nailed it especially calling it Training lite.
    This is pretty much where I consider myself to be. My schedule/plan usually has a build 10, 15 then 20k on a 4 week rotation so I am in a state of HM ready. Not PB but definitely HM Ready.
    I find that doing an event for my mind means spending more time looking at the general scenery than at the terrain in front of my shoes or the time/distance/pace on my watch. My last HM in Jasper Nat Park a part of the route was on a road at the top of a ridge beside a river. Beautiful view of the Mountain peaks covered in snow and the wide twisty River Valley. While hanging out after the event some people could not remember that point in the course.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 that's great to hear! Reading your posts you sound even more relaxed and in the groove this time around.
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Got in three short runs this week, so fairly confident about reaching my monthly target.

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So here's a great marathon for you crazy people. I've heard about this race for a couple of years and Friday found the documentary on it on Netflix. You have to watch it. Rob Youngren who is interviewed in the movie is a local running coach here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

http://barkleymovie.com/

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    So here's a great marathon for you crazy people. I've heard about this race for a couple of years and Friday found the documentary on it on Netflix. You have to watch it. Rob Youngren who is interviewed in the movie is a local running coach here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

http://barkleymovie.com/

When my little man is out of the house.......
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice!
    @MNLittleFinn - surprised to hear you counsel restraint :):)

I think I am leaning towards the route of training lite as @MobyCarp suggests and generally endorsed by several of you. If I can increase my mileage just a bit over the next 3 weeks but not push it too much I think I would be comfortable with finishing and not feeling like I was run over afterward. But I'm fully prepared to walk it out if I get to a point of feeling beaten up.

@juliet3455 I'm totally with you on doing it for the scenery and enjoyment/mental health aspects. It's along the shoreline for much of the run and the whole point of this vacation is that I am desperately in NEED of the ocean right now.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I also played a bit more with the settings on the Garmin Connect site. I can't figure out if it isn't meant to add activity calories or if there's still just a checkbox that I haven't noticed. But they're definitely selling the Vivosmart line as activity trackers, so I feel a little bit cheated that only yesterday's run added anything, and after deleting the additional activity (sent by RunKeeper, where I had to delete a second copy of the run as sent by Zombies, Run!) I was only working with 2100 calories, as opposed to a similar day with the Fitbit, which would be 2800. But even with my substandard degree of compliance, that ought to make the weight loss actually happen, right? Feels like too much of a jump, to me.

@autumnblade75 Not sure if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, but I find Garmin to be rubbish at letting you count calories.

Garmin gives you barely any calories for exercise earned through walking. Fitbit was amazingly accurate for walking and running.

I've asked and asked about this all over the web. Basically, no-one has a reason.

I'm currently experimenting with having my MFP Activity Level set to Very Active (since I do at least 17,000 steps a day).

I find my Garmin overestimating my calorie burn yesterday DH and I ran together and our calorie burn was 20-30 calories apart. Hes 185 vs me about 125. We still burn 800 calories for a 77 minute run. I don't buy it.

There's probably something I need to adjust in the settings.

I haven't given up, yet. I'm still poking around at all the settings, but yesterday was a rest day, and somehow they decided to award me 300 calories for the meager steps I did get in. I'll give it a week. The runs are the easy parts to decide whether they're reporting fairly. For me, they are, anyway. I run flat on roads in my neighborhood, and I have a favorite calculator to compare to. I will accept under-reporting on EITHER regular activity OR runs, but not both. And I'm definitely going to be looking for consistency.

Edited to add: I think that disconnecting the Fitbit from MFP may have made a difference, or possibly it just needed a full day to really work it's magic.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Barkley is beyond insane! But so amazing!

• WhatMeRunning
    Options
    My HRM would not connect to my Garmin so I did my recovery effort run by feel. Run felt great! Now to see if it's a battery or what.

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 10 miles
    4/9 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 4 miles
    4/11 - 4 miles
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - 4 miles
    4/14 - rest
    4/15 - 12 miles of death by hills
    4/16 - 4 miles
    4/17 - 8 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 8 miles
    4/20 - 4 miles
    4/21 - rest = insanity
    4/22 - 13 miles (technically 13.1)
    4/23 - 4 miles

117 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png

Upcoming Events:
    5/20 - Running with the Cows Half Marathon
    6/3 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon
    10/21 - Kansas City Marathon
    10/28 - Some 50k, can't remember the name, ask 7lenny7
    11/12 - Gobbler Grind Marathon
    11/19 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic totally unlike me...... I'm trying out this whole "maturity" thing, when I really wanted to scream GO FOR IT, SMASH IT!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    One thing I have noticed in my training, and can't say it works for all, is when I do a steady build over 3 weeks to new mileage compared to just running my new target mileage for 3 weeks is that I feel better at the end of that 3 week period when I do the target mileage over the 3 week period than when I steadily build. I have a theory why, but it's just my observation. The first week is the most tiring, but your cardio adapts and by the 3rd week it is easier than the 3rd week of a slow build, as each week building up you have to adapt again. I think your strength gains are better off also as you get 3 weeks at that effort as opposed to 2 lower weeks and one at target.

This in no way means it is for all. But I have experienced it and for whatever value tools like Sport Tracks provide that show your fitness adaptations and fatigue, the results on those tools seem to back it up.

The trick is to know how to build up the right amount and not just jump into too high of mileage that the first week at new mileage is more harm than good.

Of course, much is to be said with going with what you know will work and you are comfortable with. I know I'm comfortable with my plans and have seen them work, but what works for one may not work for others.

Just thought I would put that out there because I'm not sure it has been discussed here before, and I have found it pretty interesting. I'm not saying it's right, just thought I would solicit others opinions.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I tried to run earlier this week but my tendon was not ok. 2 weeks without running, record for me

I rode my bike instead. The level of fitness that running gives you is amazing when you ride.

Today had the insane idea to try a sort of gran fondo, and my garmin managed to make me losing in the middle of some fields. Anyway, 140km done, now I'm a bit tired.

I'll try to run tomorrow, if i feel still something wrong the only thing I'll do with my bike will be cleaning it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I feel the same way with adding new distance. So I'm hoping that holds true again as I jump back in after this cutback week....or the next 6 weeks are going to be brutal.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning @MNLittleFinn - I've done well in base building with a pattern of increase, hold steady for three weeks, increase again. In actual training, I've more or less followed plans that have increase for 2 or 3 weeks then cutback. I think I'm beginning to understand that I do better with more of a cutback, and I'm beginning to recognize when I'm beat up enough that I really need to back off.

That having been said, I don't think any one pattern is best for everyone. The principles of not adding too much, too fast and backing off after working hard are important; but the right quantification is likely to vary from one runner to the next.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow runners!

Aim: 130k

4/2: 13.1k -casual run-
    4/3: 1.5k -cause I am lazy, that's why-
    4/4: 4k -as c/d of leg day training-
    4/6: 5k -after gym-
    4/7: 8.5k -intervals-
    4/8: 9.1k -various surfaces-
    4/9: 12.5k -trail-
    4/11: 4.5k -c/d from strength training-
    4/13: 9.7k -intervals-
    4/14: 14.8k -various surfaces-
    4/19: 2.5k -c/d from strength training-
    4:20: 4.1k -c/d from legs day-
    4/21: 1.5k -w/o for upper body strength training-
    4/22: 7.6k -casual run-
    4/23: 12.5k -trail running-

Today I felt good and drop my time by 1.5 minute.

110.3/130k

Stay free of injuries!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

April Running challenge

Goal: 100 km
    Ran: 66.2/100 km

23/4/17 Run 7.4 km
    22/4/17 Run 7.2 km
    12/4/17 Run 7 km
    11/4/17 Rest day walk 3 km
    10/4/17 Run 11 km 89 min
    9/4/17 walk 7 km
    8/4/17 Run 3.8 km walk 2 km
    7/4/17 Run 7.4 km walk 3 km
    6/4/17 Run 8.4 km walk 9 km
    5/4/17 walk 9 km
    4/4/17 Run 7 km
    3/4/17 Run 7 km walk 6 km
    2/4/17 walk 3 km
    1/4/17 walk 7 km
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp I lived in Rochester (actually Webster) for 5 years after college. I grew up in Buffalo and moved to Rochester for my first "real" job as an engineer. I moved when I got married and the Navy moved me to Virginia.

I still have family and friends in Rochester. It's nice to hear about "home" on this site :smile: