Mountain dew

What is the best way to quit drinking mountain dew, all at once or work my way to drinking none?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I cut down soda until I was drinking a can a day, then I switched to diet and haven't looked back. Except that I refuse to touch Diet Mountain Dew as it's awful.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Cold turkey could be painful if you're drinking a lot of it as it has a fair amount of caffeine. Tapering down and/or replacing the dew with something else would make it easier. Have you tried diet? I'm a former dew addict and diet isn't half bad.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Why not drink diet?
  • amjmortensen48
    amjmortensen48 Posts: 40 Member
    I can't stand diet and also want to cut out soda completely
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited April 2017
    If you don't want to drink diet mountain and cut diet cold turkey, than I would say consider drinking fruit infused water!!
    I love to get a glass pitcher add some lemon slices, mint, and even mango slices and create a resfreshing drink! :smile: you can find really cool receipts all over the net. I also like to drink water with electrolytes fruity drinks also exist that taste pretty good.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    If you're drinking more than a can per day, I would work on tapering - cut one out for at least a few days, then another, until you're down to nothing.

Going cold turkey may leave you with headaches, which are not fun at all!

~Lyssa
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    I second tapering down! Or maybe try some sparkling water with lemon or something. However, that does not have caffeine. Maybe there is some caffeine infused version of it? I don't know but some years back I was obsessed with diet Mountain Dew. When I tried giving it up cold turkey, I had the worst caffeine withdrawals! I was bratty and had the worst headache constantly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    The caffeine is what will get you, so taper off. If you aren't looking to cut out caffeine, try adding a cup of coffee or strong tea to ease any headaches. If it's the caffeine you are looking to cut out I would just take it slow and work your way down.
  • amjmortensen48
    amjmortensen48 Posts: 40 Member
    If I already drink 1-2 every day now and on the weekends if I don't have one it really doesn't bother me I should be ok to just stop and focus on drinking water. And just take something if I get headaches right?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    What is the best way to quit drinking mountain dew, all at once or work my way to drinking none?

Any time you cut caffeine you have the chance of severe withdrawal symptoms. Unless you are replacing the Mt Dew with something else that has caffeine, tapering off is the better way to do it. Do you like diet Dew? Switching to cut the calories, then tapering to cut the caffeine might be a good way to do it.
  • earlnabby
    If I already drink 1-2 every day now and on the weekends if I don't have one it really doesn't bother me I should be ok to just stop and focus on drinking water. And just take something if I get headaches right?

Sounds like you are OK just stopping then. Headaches that come from caffeine withdrawal really are only helped by more caffeine so have something caffeinated on hand just in case. Excedrin Migraine has acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine so I used that when I cut down on caffeine.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Just do it. Like any other change in habit, it'll suck for a few days, and then it'll be fine. Caffeine withdrawal really isn't that bad.

I switched last year from diet soda and roughly a gallon of coffee per day to just dumping a packet of Propel into a bottle of water. It's cheaper, tastier, and better for me.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    I love diet dew but avoid it

I drink coffee instead
  • earlnabby
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Just do it. Like any other change in habit, it'll suck for a few days, and then it'll be fine. Caffeine withdrawal really isn't that bad.

I switched last year from diet soda and roughly a gallon of coffee per day to just dumping a packet of Propel into a bottle of water. It's cheaper, tastier, and better for me.

Everybody's different. When I went cold turkey from caffeine I had a choice between sleeping 18-20 hours a day or having a migraine so bad I actually had visual and auditory hallucinations. I am happy you found it much easier.