Breast feeding and dieting??

I'm a newb at this lol any advice or tips would be great :) thanks!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Hi! So, a baby eats 500-600 calories of milk a day. If you're breastfeeding, those calories can come from 3 sources: you can eat more; your body can take them from your fat reserves; or your supply can drop. Which of those happens to you is an individual thing. I know people (myself included) who can't lose weight at all while breastfeeding. I know others who can lose all but the last 5 lbs. Right now, I'm on here to just make sure I don't gain weight from breastfeeding. :)
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    I lost almost all my baby weight from breastfeeding, and I was NOT limiting my food consumption. Congrats on nursing your baby - that's such a good way to start off your child's nutrition!
  • candy_celine
    candy_celine Posts: 2 Member
    New member here! Hi everyone :) I'm exclusively breastfeeding and planning on doing that for a year-2 but want to start losing at least a pound a week :) my baby #2 is 3 months old and as of yesterday I start doing 30 minutes walk hoping to achieve my weight goal. Good luck to you all mamas
  • Ashleymarie4464
    Ashleymarie4464 Posts: 8 Member
    Hey Ladies, new member here too! I'm a 29 yr old second time mom! Exclusively breastfeeding and looking to lose the remaining 40 pounds that I gained during pregnancy. I gained a total of 65 and my baby is now a month old. For two weeks now I have been eating roughly 1650 calories a day and it's had no negative impact on my milk supply. I have two weeks left until I'm cleared by my doctor for exercise! Currently weigh 204, hoping to get my to my pre-pregnancy weight of 165.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm a mother of 3 and still breastfeeding my 17 month old.
    I'm unfortunately not one of those people who lose weight JUST by breastfeeding. I easily lose the "baby weight" because I never gain much to begin with but my pre baby fat stubbornly stays put.

I'm 5'3 and currently 177 lbs and I've been losing slowly (start weight was 195) by cutting calories down to 1600-1800 a day. I actually have it set at 1600 a day but I usually add 200 "exercise" calories for breastfeeding.
    My little guy nurses like a newborn and so far I have not noticed any decrease in supply.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member

If you can enjoy all those extra calories.

I didn't start Mfp until I was 5 or 6 months pp, which was around the same time I started going to the gym. At this point I had about 10 lbs to lose. With working out and nursing I was able to lose .5 lb/ week and eat +/- 2300 calories. I did not limit any macros in anyway, ate healthy nutritious foods throughout the day then had some of the most glorious desserts I've ever had in my life. I loved eating so much and still being able to lose weight. Now a days a week of 2300 calories would probably have me gain close to a lb a week.
  • moo_imma_pig
    moo_imma_pig Posts: 40 Member
    Hi! So, a baby eats 500-600 calories of milk a day. If you're breastfeeding, those calories can come from 3 sources: you can eat more; your body can take them from your fat reserves; or your supply can drop. Which of those happens to you is an individual thing. I know people (myself included) who can't lose weight at all while breastfeeding. I know others who can lose all but the last 5 lbs. Right now, I'm on here to just make sure I don't gain weight from breastfeeding. :)

Yeah, i might be one of those who can't lose the weight with just breast feeding. My son is almost 4 months old & I've only dropped 3lbs. Figured it was time to try something more lol thanks for your help :)
  • moo_imma_pig
    moo_imma_pig Posts: 40 Member
    janjunie wrote: »

I didn't start Mfp until I was 5 or 6 months pp, which was around the same time I started going to the gym. At this point I had about 10 lbs to lose. With working out and nursing I was able to lose .5 lb/ week and eat +/- 2300 calories. I did not limit any macros in anyway, ate healthy nutritious foods throughout the day then had some of the most glorious desserts I've ever had in my life. I loved eating so much and still being able to lose weight. Now a days a week of 2300 calories would probably have me gain close to a lb a week.

Yeah, im pretty sure I have to cut back on calories. I've been eating as I please and not losing weight at this point. It's a bummer lol
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    My girly is 5 months and breastfed. I've been eating 2100 or so calories a week while nursing and have lost 40 pounds since she was born. I only started exercising in the last couple weeks.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

Yeah, i might be one of those who can't lose the weight with just breast feeding. My son is almost 4 months old & I've only dropped 3lbs. Figured it was time to try something more lol thanks for your help :)
    janjunie wrote: »

Yeah, im pretty sure I have to cut back on calories. I've been eating as I please and not losing weight at this point. It's a bummer lol

Sounds like you haven't been accurately and/or precisely counting your calories. ;) There are quite a few things to learn.

I recommend to beginners that they read the forum announcement Helpful Posts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Also, this flowchart by @lemonlionheart gives a great run-through on how to lose weight with MFP:

MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart%20a_zpsot9kdvnv.jpg

Enter your stats into MFP, set your weekly weight loss goal to "maintain weight", weigh your foods in grams and millilitres, and log everything you eat.