Female Lifters, Amenorrhea and/or missed periods.

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had my bloodwork done and everything is normal. I've been taking D3, is that the same?

I really don't think I have PCOS. Though I can feel painful little cysts when I ovulate, it's really the only symptom of PCOS I have.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've had my bloodwork done and everything is normal. I've been taking D3, is that the same?

I really don't think I have PCOS. Though I can feel painful little cysts when I ovulate, it's really the only symptom of PCOS I have.

I have cysts too. It's completely normal and I don't have PCOS.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    D3 works better for me than D2 (which is a prescription). It's normal to have at least some cysts. I had tests/ultrasound done for PCOS before the dr settled on Vitamin D deficiency.

For me, my D level needs to be over 50. Some drs are weird about allowing your level to "get too high," b/c you can overdose on it. I would ask for the actual # on the bloodwork, b/c the "safe" level is something like 32-100. That's a pretty large scale.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    D3 is cholecalciferol, it's the same form that your body produces under UV B light and more bioactive than D2. D2 is found in foods like mushrooms and is vegan friendly, unlike D3 which is animal based. Vitamin D is actually not a vitamin but a fat soluble precursor to a steroid hormone which is why you need to be careful not to overdose. The upper limit for D3 is 4000 IU (international units) a day and I suppose the same for D2 but I don't recommend taking that much. Where I live they prescribe 800 IU D3 for mild deficiency, but given the ceiling of 4000 IU a day I would say you can take up to 2000 fairly safely in winter time and get your bloodwork checked regularly to see how it affects your blood level. Also make sure, like any supplement, to get it from a reputable place.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Xymheia wrote: »
    Hi bbell1985,
    I have had amenorrhea a couple of years ago when I went a little overboard with exercise and diet. I had a very hard time eating enough to fuel my workouts (lifting 3 times a week, running twice a week 4 km distance), sports training (field hockey 3 times a week) and daily trips to school (30 minutes cycling one way) and ended up at low body fat combined with high exercise load and inadequate diet, which eventually led to amenorrhea. Fast forward 1 year, I had cut my training load to nearly zero due to an overuse knee injury among others, gained a few kg and got my period back. This may not be exactly similar to your case but please hear me out.

Since then I have learned that amenorrhea occurs when you stress your body too much through physical stress (little body fat, inadequate diet, heavy exercise/manual labor) and/or psychological stress. You do not necessarily need to have an excessively low body fat percentage to become amenorrheic, it is usually due to a combination of factors and this combination may certainly be different for you than it was for me at the time, and is for others who are amenorrheic right now. E.g. Intermittent fasting, while it works for many men, may wreak havoc for women, so if you’re doing this, you may want to stop. Same if you are eating low carb, you need some carbs to fuel your workouts and brain. Low carb might not work for everyone. If you are eating low carb, try upping your carb intake to a more moderate level and also make sure you eat at least 4 meals a day with adequate calories to maintain your weight. I would calculate your TDEE and eat approximately that and make sure to track your intake reasonably accurately, if you end up eating less while maintaining weight, try reverse dieting, which is slowly upping the calories, it is said to be a trick to get your metabolism back to normal after dieting, however I have never tried it myself. Aim to keep your weight stable for a few months while reducing your exercise load, both volume and intensity, to allow your body to regain its balance. I do not know your schedule but if it's anywhere near 6 times a week 1-2 hours at a time it may be a tad much. Also, if you're suffering from psychological stress, aim to reduce this through for example talking it out with friends, dealing with your stressor(s) assertively and/or meditation.

It is really important to get your period back as soon as possible because your hormones, in particular estrogen, may be depleted/imbalanced and they play an important role in keeping your bones healthy. It is harmful not to have your period and has long term consequences if untreated: increased risk of osteoporosis and stress fractures. If you cannot get your period back within 6-12 months with lifestyle/dietary changes discuss with your physician if there is another way for you to balance your hormones until you do. In any case ask your doctor to check your hormones, vitamins and thyroid function, should be simple blood work.

You would think - I have literally had arguments with more than one Dr about getting referrals for tests, despite telling them my history. I've been told I'm normal more often than not, it's a joke! When I have managed to get referrals for tests, they aren't complete enough to give a full picture...
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this helps, but I went through a ~7 month period of amenorrhea at the end of last year that just got more and more symptomatic over time. I've always weight trained 4-5x/week. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm also not super lean, likely higher BF than you are. First 4 months, started out with just irregular periods. Weight was maintaining at 1600, so I dropped my calories a little more. Developed hormonal cystic acne, anxiety, and insomnia and lost my period completely for the last 2 months. Suddenly couldn't even look at dairy or soy without breaking out. Weight was still maintaining. Didn't change my programming throughout. Even sadder, my strength pretty much plateaued, even lost a bit on my bench.

Anyway, since then I'm eating more and still maintaining. No longer amenorrheic. I dropped my training volume slightly (it was not very high to begin with). Stress is a little more under control. At the time, I was pretty stressed mentally, plus some self-worth issues; though I couldn't tell you how much of it was from the havoc of hormones. IMO, it was more an issue of total stress load, physiological and psychological. Lifting is a physiological stress, after all, so if that's happening on top of whatever else, it could tip the scales. I know that's vague. I actually hope you find out its something specific like a vit deficiency, so you can just pop a pill and be done with it.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Dunno if this helps, but I went through a ~7 month period of amenorrhea at the end of last year that just got more and more symptomatic over time. I've always weight trained 4-5x/week. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. I'm also not super lean, likely higher BF than you are. First 4 months, started out with just irregular periods. Weight was maintaining at 1600, so I dropped my calories a little more. Developed hormonal cystic acne, anxiety, and insomnia and lost my period completely for the last 2 months. Suddenly couldn't even look at dairy or soy without breaking out. Weight was still maintaining. Didn't change my programming throughout. Even sadder, my strength pretty much plateaued, even lost a bit on my bench.

Anyway, since then I'm eating more and still maintaining. No longer amenorrheic. I dropped my training volume slightly (it was not very high to begin with). Stress is a little more under control. At the time, I was pretty stressed mentally, plus some self-worth issues; though I couldn't tell you how much of it was from the havoc of hormones. IMO, it was more an issue of total stress load, physiological and psychological. Lifting is a physiological stress, after all, so if that's happening on top of whatever else, it could tip the scales. I know that's vague. I actually hope you find out its something specific like a vit deficiency, so you can just pop a pill and be done with it.

I can't respond in full at the moment but this is basically me. I tried to lose weight and that's when it happened. And I wasn't losing either.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I still had my period during competition prep and when I maintained low body fat between two competitions. There are a variety of factors that go into losing your period, you may have to attempt some adjustments to training or macros.
  • katieann522
    katieann522 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hormones are crazy specific. the right testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, magnesium.... etc. It is so hard to know that you're getting all you need for body functions. I have such strange cycles, it is too much sometimes. I understand the concern. just keep tracking, eating and checking in with the doctors when you can.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

Ok thanks. I keep trying to tell people this and everyone wants to jump to PCOS.

Those little buggers hurt though. Ovulation is not fun for me. Worse than period physically and emotionally.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Also I should say, I don't technically have amenorrhea at least this moment. It did stop for 3 months, but it's back now. Just in super long cycles. This one was 15 days late. About 45-46 day cycle.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Go to another doctor
    Have you ever had an ultrasound?
    Because you're not super lean, you are eating at maintenance and you are having mood symptoms directly related to your period, I doubt it has anything to do with your fitness regime.

My whole life I had heavy and painful periods. In my 20s I went through years of crazy periods, spotting, HEAVY/painful pms etc. I tried birth control (quite a few different ones-they all made it worse).

Eventually I got an ultrasound, and the lining of my uterus was a little thickened. I was put on a hormone medicine for 10 days. It took a few months, but my period stabilized. Now, a year later, I am completely regular and the rest of my symptoms calmed down. (Pms still rough-but not as bad). Not saying you have the same thing-just saying to keep investigating. I chalked the symptoms to lifting, (I was super lean) and I was wrong. Get a new gyno that really listens.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

Ok thanks. I keep trying to tell people this and everyone wants to jump to PCOS.

Those little buggers hurt though. Ovulation is not fun for me. Worse than period physically and emotionally.

Yup--first time I ended up in the ER because it was so painful. I thought it was my appendix!
  • bbell1985
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Go to another doctor
    Have you ever had an ultrasound?
    Because you're not super lean, you are eating at maintenance and you are having mood symptoms directly related to your period, I doubt it has anything to do with your fitness regime.

My whole life I had heavy and painful periods. In my 20s I went through years of crazy periods, spotting, HEAVY/painful pms etc. I tried birth control (quite a few different ones-they all made it worse).

Eventually I got an ultrasound, and the lining of my uterus was a little thickened. I was put on a hormone medicine for 10 days. It took a few months, but my period stabilized. Now, a year later, I am completely regular and the rest of my symptoms calmed down. (Pms still rough-but not as bad). Not saying you have the same thing-just saying to keep investigating. I chalked the symptoms to lifting, (I was super lean) and I was wrong. Get a new gyno that really listens.

As I mentioned in the OP, yes-ultrasound was good besides being able to see that some cysts had burst, which is nothing to be worried about.

I THINK I've also had all the bloodwork that needs to be done. But I'm wondering if there is a test or an idea we missed.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Okay, so I have had as many tests done as I thought.

What do I need to have done? Hormones? Any vitamin deficiency?
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This past year my cycles went crazy. I was working out 6 days a week and eating around 2,300 a day which might have not been enough for my activity. My periods started being 2 weeks long, not really heavy but just basically spotting. I was overtrained and ignoring all they symptoms. Developed insomnia, I was crying over everything and very moody. I went to a womens clinic and had my hormones tested and my testosterone was at a 7 which is very low and my progesterone was at a .2. I am now on hormone thearpy as well as birth control to regulate my hormones. I have also decreased my workouts from 6 to 4 and if I notice I start to feel run down I take extra days off and just walk. I really learned how exercise and not eating right can really screw with your hormones.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Last year I was lifting weights four times a week (1.5 hours/ session) and running 50 miles a week. I PR'd my back squat and half marathon time all within the same month.

I would have sworn I was eating at maintenance because I wasn't loosing weight. I did miss a couple periods and rhe ones I had were very light. (I also considered menopause because I am 45). Once I started eating more the periods came back along with 5 pounds.

I took a long hard look at what I was trying to accomplish and what my long term goals are. I enjoy both strength training and running, but I decided running was more important. Fast forward to this year. Now I only strength train using body weight. Three times a week I'm taking a HITT class which only lasts 30 minutes, but it's tough. I'm running about 50 miles a week and am looking to up it to 55 or 60.

Like I said above, before I would have sworn I was eating at maintenance because I wasn't losing? I was eating an average of 2,250 calories per day. I'm now eating 2,750 per day and weigh 1 pound more than I was at my lowest last year. I'm full, happy, run times improving, and still losing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Leanness is not the only cause of amenorrhea. I've posted about it before but energy availability is a factor in losing your period. That's the calories you eat, less the number you burn in exercise. Once you go below a certain threshhold, you tend to lose your period and it can take a long period of eating more in order to get it back and keep it. I *think* I've seen you say that you maintain at 1800 calories (is that right?) and that number seems low for your activity and body composition.

Are you a member of Lyle McDonald's bodyrecomposition.com FB group? If not, join and do a search for energy availability or amenorrhea, as there have been some good discussions about it.

So, I never said JUST being lean is a factor. I'm asking about training, and mentioning my stats so everyone knows they're not dealing with a stage ready lifter.

And if I'm eating 1800 and maintaining, how can we say I'm not eating enough? I'm also a *kitten* logger. In reality I probably eat more.

Yes I am a member of that group. I don't feel comfortable posting there until I've read more.

Sorry. Didn't mean to upset you. Nevermind.

No I'm not upset. I'm just saying. I really would like to hear if you think I'm not getting enough energy even though I'm maintaining weight. I mean, if I ate more, I'd gain, right?

Not necessarily. Our bodies can downshift, so to speak, when energy availability is low.

This is a good site to look through: http://fuelaotearoa.co.nz/educate/get-educated/the-female-athlete-triad/

From the Refuel for Life section:
    When energy availability is inadvertently or intentionally suboptimal, the human body is forced to prioritise available calories. Energy is drawn away from physiological processes and body systems that are not essential for immediate survival (e.g. growth, deposition of body fat stores and reproduction) and towards those essential for life (e.g. movement, breathing and keeping the body warm and heart pumping!)

This is also a good presentation from Brigham and Women's Hospital. The chapters 2 and 3 videos are especially relevant: http://mdvideocenter.brighamandwomens.org/specialties/orthopedic-and-arthritis/female-athlete-triad-recognition-treatment-and-prevention/item/3
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have had as many tests done as I thought.

What do I need to have done? Hormones? Any vitamin deficiency?

My bad for not seeing you had an ultrasound

Get your hormones checked definitely. If you haven't yet, get a full blood work up-the works. I think you have though.

Get on a good multi. I don't think one deficiency is going to cause the range of symptoms you are experiencing, but it can't hurt.
    Maybe see a doc again anyway for suggestions. Then screw it-be your own guinea pig. Eat more calories for a few months, ease up the exercise. Track everything carefully and give it some time. Accept that you'll gain a few pounds-but don't let it get out of control. See if the symptoms subside. It is possible that you're unintentionally overdoing it and your body can't keep up. Overtraining/undereating can cause missed periods and depressive symptoms, which will definitely be exacerbated by PMS. Whether it is your lifestyle or a deficiency the key is time.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Leanness is not the only cause of amenorrhea. I've posted about it before but energy availability is a factor in losing your period. That's the calories you eat, less the number you burn in exercise. Once you go below a certain threshhold, you tend to lose your period and it can take a long period of eating more in order to get it back and keep it. I *think* I've seen you say that you maintain at 1800 calories (is that right?) and that number seems low for your activity and body composition.

Are you a member of Lyle McDonald's bodyrecomposition.com FB group? If not, join and do a search for energy availability or amenorrhea, as there have been some good discussions about it.

So, I never said JUST being lean is a factor. I'm asking about training, and mentioning my stats so everyone knows they're not dealing with a stage ready lifter.

And if I'm eating 1800 and maintaining, how can we say I'm not eating enough? I'm also a *kitten* logger. In reality I probably eat more.

Yes I am a member of that group. I don't feel comfortable posting there until I've read more.

Sorry. Didn't mean to upset you. Nevermind.

No I'm not upset. I'm just saying. I really would like to hear if you think I'm not getting enough energy even though I'm maintaining weight. I mean, if I ate more, I'd gain, right?

Not necessarily. Our bodies can downshift, so to speak, when energy availability is low.

This is a good site to look through: http://fuelaotearoa.co.nz/educate/get-educated/the-female-athlete-triad/

From the Refuel for Life section:
    When energy availability is inadvertently or intentionally suboptimal, the human body is forced to prioritise available calories. Energy is drawn away from physiological processes and body systems that are not essential for immediate survival (e.g. growth, deposition of body fat stores and reproduction) and towards those essential for life (e.g. movement, breathing and keeping the body warm and heart pumping!)

This is also a good presentation from Brigham and Women's Hospital. The chapters 2 and 3 videos are especially relevant: http://mdvideocenter.brighamandwomens.org/specialties/orthopedic-and-arthritis/female-athlete-triad-recognition-treatment-and-prevention/item/3

Muah. Thanks.

I've actually been eating more lately. Like above 1800. I've gained weight, but then again I just started my period so I'll have to check throughout the week.

I don't know if you know I work with SideSteel. He wants me to maintain. I argued that summer is coming and if I just got my period, it might be good to start a deficit right after or during because I cannot do it leading up to my period (if I get it on time next month). We compromised on tracking carefully at 1850 this week, logging step count, watching weight and deciding together on Sunday what's best.

But yes, thank you for these. It will be my bed time reading.