where do 40 year old women shop for clothes?

Options
13»

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Forever 21. Just kidding, wherever they want I guess! Not in my 40s yet but I'd like to think if it looks good on you and is appropriate why limit yourself? I didn't know 40 was so old as to switch over to granny panties and/mumuus.

Right? I'm 36 and have more of a problem finding clothes that aren't too matronly. Being petite does not help. As long as I'm not in the juniors section I don't have a problem with too young. Right now most of my clothes are Faded Glory from Walmart.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    40 is not old!

Wear anything you like.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What about Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, The Limited, Macy's, or Nordstrom. I'm in my 30's but I have shopped at these stores in my 20's and will for the rest of my life. They carry classic designs that really don't go out of style and work for all ages. When you do actually want to shop, most have great sales too.

All of these. I love LOFT the most right now. I think a lot of NY&CO have gone out of business, at least in my area, but I recently hit their outlet store nearby and liked some of their stuff too.

Good luck!

I am 47 and I LOVE the Loft! My 15 year old calls it torture when I see The Loft and he has to follow me in. I like Banana Republic and Macy's as well. but you have to really search some times at Macy's. I also like Ann Taylor, but sometimes it is a little formal in there.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I like to browse clothing websites for inspiration, and motivation, but most of the clothes I see on websites are too young for me. Any ideas, women? Just keeps me motivated.

I am partial to Jessica London, Roaman's, and Woman Within.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love Modcloth.com for dresses and shoes!. I am 45 btw. jeans- what ever fits my booty, even if it's got bling! lol Shorts and casual everyday wear and exercise stuff... walmart and target!

NSV recently bought a cute pair of peach colored shorts at walmart in what was a 5. did not realize they were a jr size but they fit! lol woo hoo!

Good luck and have fun shopping!

:drinker:

I like Modcloth except 75% of their things are sleeveless and I live in Wisconsin. Can only wear sleeveless 3 or so months of the year.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    TaraTaraTara76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't like most of the stores mentioned.I like more youthful and fun clothing that is also quirky sometimes. So i mostly shop online. All different stores. I am 40 but I feel younger when i dress younger. That's just me. Here's what I do. Think about your personality and interests and mood of the day and just dress authentically based on you and your uniqueness and dont worry about fitting in or dressing how you are supposed to. Just at least 2 times a week dress like you dont give a damn what others think.:)
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    H&M and Zara are my two favorites right now. I still find a few things at Forever 21 and Nordstrom's jrs department but it's become increasingly more difficult the older I get to find appropriate work attire there.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid 30's and shop more less exclusively at Goodwill. (Mostly because I refuse to spend a ton on clothes for myself)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize i was supposed to shop somewhere special. My jeans (favorite ever), still come from American Eagle Outfitters. Tops, depends on what I like.

yep it's dress barn for now.. once you hit 60's it's whatever store is next to the funeral parlor

Did you really mean this to be as offensive as it reads? h

Thanks for saying something. It does sound rather offensive. At least when I hit the funeral parlor I'll be at a weight that doesn't give the pall bearers a hernia to pack my carcass around. :D
  • SunshineHardcore
    SunshineHardcore Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 & I buy almost all of my clothes at eshakti.com. Personally, I stick with their woven cotton fabrics because they're more breathable & drape in more flattering ways than knits.

Someone mentioned modcloth, I love the look of their clothes but they always use polyester fabrics & I don't like to sweat.

• yvettekeaton
    yvettekeaton Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, Pinterest is your best bet. Just type in "clothing ideas for women 40+" and a ton of ideas will pop up.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    +1 for Nordie's. They tailor too, which is nice.