Does it get easier?

Options
2»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SAHM144 wrote: »
    I appreciate all the comments, however instead of getting suggestions I was hoping for stories on how everyone else is doing on their diet, whether they had more or less energy.

I was getting a good laugh at the suggestions. It sounds like you've got the "how" figured out, so it seemed funny to me that people were still regurgitating the same advice they give to everyone.

My experience was that I was a little off the whole time I was trying to lose weight. I was hungry much of the time, but I learned to embrace that as a reminder that my body was getting its energy from stored fat. I didn't have so much of a problem with wanting to watch more TV instead of exercise. Exercise was how I made sure that I could eat more and stay near my goal.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Try cutting your deficit to 250 calories instead of 500 calories. Force yourself to exercise for a few days and eat back half of the those calories. See if that doesn't help the energy. I had to play around with my deficit in the beginning. -500 was too steep for me when I was starting to heavy lift and workout. Once I had a good routine going I was able to cut 500 calories easier. And I still bounce back and forth between -250 and -500 depending on how I'm feeling. Exercise also begets energy so it may take a combination of lowering your deficit (ie. eating more calories) and adding in your workouts (even when you don't feel like it) to get that balance. I also make sure to eat back my exercise calories. I do not feel good without doing that.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.
    Yes it gets easier in you learn what foods fill you up and which do not. You also find some fun extra movement.
    No it doesn't because I have this side of me that would like to be a sloth eating potato chips cheese and chocolate washed down with beer every night.
    However the longer you keep a habit the more that becomes just what you do.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    At first it got easier, but now it's getting harder. If that makes sense. Weight loss was so easy in the beginning. Now it's like I'm in a war of attrition with myself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the comments, however instead of getting suggestions I was hoping for stories on how everyone else is doing on their diet, whether they had more or less energy.

If I didn't eat back at least half of my exercise calories, I wouldn't have the energy to exercise, which is why I asked if you are eating the calories you have earned from exercise.

I have more energy now that what I did when I exercised less and ate more.

• kshama2001
    Options

I was getting a good laugh at the suggestions. It sounds like you've got the "how" figured out, so it seemed funny to me that people were still regurgitating the same advice they give to everyone.

My experience was that I was a little off the whole time I was trying to lose weight. I was hungry much of the time, but I learned to embrace that as a reminder that my body was getting its energy from stored fat. I didn't have so much of a problem with wanting to watch more TV instead of exercise. Exercise was how I made sure that I could eat more and stay near my goal.

When people don't have energy that means something is wrong. Could be they are not eating enough, could be thyroid, could be a deficiency in iron, vitamin B, vitamin D, etc. On a calorie counting site the first logical answer is not eating enough, hence the questions to see what the OP is doing.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I did alternate day IF for my active weight loss phase so my energy changed, based on where I was at in my IF rotation.

Now that I'm several years into maintenance I'm doing a 'casual' short term weight loss phase, to get rid of winter 'fluff' and I'm aiming for 1,300-1,500 calories a day (just straight up calorie counting). Since I'm already a lower weight, (current bmi is around a 20), I'm aiming for .5lb a week loss. No changes in energy with the reduced calories and because of the kinds of foods I eat I feel pretty stuffed all day. Exercise wise I walk 4-5 times a week right now, for two miles a time (15 minute miles).
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I started this diet about three weeks ago. During the week I would stick to my calories and on the weekends I wouldn't. Once the weekend was over, it was so hard to start over every time. Now I'm saying enough is enough and I am dieting through my weekends in hope that the saying is right: it is easier to stay on a diet than start a diet.

Do you still log everything you eat on the weekend? It's perfectly fine to give yourself more calories on the weekend. Maybe just target eating at maintenance for the weekend, which means you won't lose as fast but you also won't reverse your deficit from the week.
  • crazyycatlady1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. I started this diet about three weeks ago. During the week I would stick to my calories and on the weekends I wouldn't. Once the weekend was over, it was so hard to start over every time. Now I'm saying enough is enough and I am dieting through my weekends in hope that the saying is right: it is easier to stay on a diet than start a diet.

Do you still log everything you eat on the weekend? It's perfectly fine to give yourself more calories on the weekend. Maybe just target eating at maintenance for the weekend, which means you won't lose as fast but you also won't reverse your deficit from the week.

This is great advice-op maybe try it and see how it goes?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

This is great advice-op maybe try it and see how it goes?

Give it a go, the really important part is to keep logging everything - integrity in your logging is the best way to build the self awareness needed for change.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The restrictions during the week and then freedom on the weekend might be sending mixed messages to your appetite.

That technique doesn't work for me. It might for some others. I guess it boils down to know thy self.

Also, not a diet but rather a new lifestyle. Diet intimates short term. If you haven't created new habits of healthier eating and activity, you might slide back into same old.

Thanks for the add. My diary is open. I log everyday so I'm around. :)
  • crazyycatlady1
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    The restrictions during the week and then freedom on the weekend might be sending mixed messages to your appetite.

That technique doesn't work for me. It might for some others. I guess it boils down to know thy self.

Also, not a diet but rather a new lifestyle. Diet intimates short term. If you haven't created new habits of healthier eating and activity, you might slide back into same old.

On the flip side-many people tend to eat and drink more/higher calories on the weekends, so it might be a good idea to learn now, how to deal with that/fit it into your plan kwim?
  • kshama2001
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »

On the flip side-many people tend to eat and drink more/higher calories on the weekends, so it might be a good idea to learn now, how to deal with that/fit it into your plan kwim?

I exercise more on the weekends to earn those extra calories.

If I didn't log on the weekends I would easily erase the deficit I'd created during the week.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm a hungry girl... I can't do little meals. They don't even seem to affect my hunger if they're under 300 cals.

My solution was to switch to intermittent fasting.

Instead of 3-4 small meals a day, I have 2 larger meals a day. Usually around 500 calories for lunch and 800 for dinner.

I don't even get hungry before 11am anymore. I actually find that I get hungrier throughout the day if I have breakfast!

And my energy levels are great.
  • Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have tried intermittent fasting as well as more smaller meals. What works best for me is 4 meals a day. I prep bento boxes and just have to open one when it's time to eat.

As suggested, I got a B vitamin supplement and will start using that in hope it gives me a little more energy.

I also understand what you guys are saying about the eating back of exercise calories to sustain energy levels. I decided that if I do push some iron around, I'll have a SMALL protein shake afterwards.

Today I finished my first week, which was tough. I stuck to my diet every single 500 calorie deficient day and I went from 154.8 to 153.0. I am extremely happy with the results but also mentally prepared that the following weeks will probably be closer to a 1lb weight loss.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Today I finished my first week, which was tough. I stuck to my diet every single 500 calorie deficient day and I went from 154.8 to 153.0. I am extremely happy with the results but also mentally prepared that the following weeks will probably be closer to a 1lb weight loss.

Congratulations on a good start. Also be prepared to see the scale sometimes go up in a given week. At a 1 pound / week rate, your daily fluctuations could mask that 1 pound - in either direction. That doesn't mean you've done anything wrong or missed your target.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When I first started I have to honestly say that I was never truly hungry - ever. I did a detailed self analysis on those times when I was really hungry or just eating out of boredom and routine. Being aware of what I was eating and my exercise output was key to this, but I'm a data guy and love digging into problems and identifying root causes.

I was generally eating well at work, but my home routine was a disaster - just mindless munching on snacks and treats for no reason. I replaced this bad habit with good habits - walking/biking with my kids, gaming with carrots as a snack, you get the picture. I started drinking 16 oz of water 30 mins prior to each meal. I also incorporated a good deal of exercise into my routine and replaced my lunch hour with an hour of working out.

Whatever you do, make sure that the change is small, that you are able to do this for the long term - as in years, decades, and that for every bad habit you remove - replace this with a good habit. Taking on too much at one time rarely ends well and rarely sustainable. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Good effort on the first week - you are asking very insightful questions and will do well here.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I have tried intermittent fasting as well as more smaller meals. What works best for me is 4 meals a day. I prep bento boxes and just have to open one when it's time to eat.

As suggested, I got a B vitamin supplement and will start using that in hope it gives me a little more energy.

I also understand what you guys are saying about the eating back of exercise calories to sustain energy levels. I decided that if I do push some iron around, I'll have a SMALL protein shake afterwards.

Many women gain at ovulation and right before TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I now compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr

I'm just concerned about the overall downward trend.

1qsdj9syqk2t.png

• Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow, your weight loss looks consistent. I can even see a spike each month. Do you eat the same calorie amount every day?
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel better with less meat and more veggies plus you can eat so can physically eat more veggies and fruits because they are somewhat low in calories than meats . I feel sluggish when I eat foods high in sodium or processed foods. Or I do eat meat every now and then and I'm just stuffed... try whole grains!! Brown rice, brown rice pastas. I like a morning 1/2 cup dry oatmeal with a cup of cashew milk. Half mashed banana cooked a minute at the end. With the other half smashed in. Vanilla and cinnamon. Maybe maple syrup Fuels me and gives me clean energy in the morning. Than I'll snack on nuts and an apple. Idk I try to moderate my meat and dairy intake. I feel great for the most part with a lot of energy . Maybe you want to to find a multi vitamins . Or your need some b12 or super b complex!!