Trying to find a puppy and so frustrated!

124»

Replies

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ycgjjpacxkt2.jpg

She is super adorable, what did you name her?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    klkarlen wrote: »
    ycgjjpacxkt2.jpg

She is super adorable, what did you name her?

Kira. She's doing great! Waiting for the DNA results to see what breed she is (just too curious, had to know).
  • klkarlen
    I'm voting for Aussie, maybe crossed with either a border collie or a sheltie.
  • Francl27

That's the thing though... her sisters were black (one with white, one with brown) and actually looked a lot like my other dog (we don't know his breed either but he looks a lot like my sister's border collie). But her brothers had longer ears, shorter hair, with a white coat with much bigger brown spots (kinda like a beagle.. but the face is definitely not beagle-like).

So yeah, that's why I ended getting the DNA test, lol. It's kinda funny because people get so confused when they see her - 'oh hello cute border collie oh wait... what is she?'. Some of my friends think husky. I really have no idea (her tail does tend to go up when she's walking around, which is definitely not something my other dog's tail does). The rescue said Australian Shepherd/American Eskimo dog but that's definitely not it.

It's actually kinda fun to get to figure it out.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    I love the idea of a rescue and when we tried to go that route, were really pleased to learn about the home visits. It made us feel like the place was legit and that they were going to do their part to make sure we did our part. Ultimately, because our home is small and we needed a small dog, we did not have any luck with the rescue shelters we registered at. Several times we got our hopes up about listings, only to go and find that the dogs were much larger than indicated (medium sized dogs shouldn't be able to put their paws on your shoulders! That's a big pup who would have felt very cramped in our tiny townhouse.) Not all "breeders" are bad, but you have to do your homework. We bought our little guy from a private home in a rural area, hours away. The owner had two females and a male and while that technically makes her a breeder, it definitely wasn't a manufacturing operation. She screened us thoroughly and we got exactly the pup that was meant for us. So, rescues and shelters are AWESOME and I absolutely prefer that wonderful, worthy route, but you aren't evil if you get a dog another way.
  • Francl27
    I love the idea of a rescue and when we tried to go that route, were really pleased to learn about the home visits. It made us feel like the place was legit and that they were going to do their part to make sure we did our part. Ultimately, because our home is small and we needed a small dog, we did not have any luck with the rescue shelters we registered at. Several times we got our hopes up about listings, only to go and find that the dogs were much larger than indicated (medium sized dogs shouldn't be able to put their paws on your shoulders! That's a big pup who would have felt very cramped in our tiny townhouse.) Not all "breeders" are bad, but you have to do your homework. We bought our little guy from a private home in a rural area, hours away. The owner had two females and a male and while that technically makes her a breeder, it definitely wasn't a manufacturing operation. She screened us thoroughly and we got exactly the pup that was meant for us. So, rescues and shelters are AWESOME and I absolutely prefer that wonderful, worthy route, but you aren't evil if you get a dog another way.

We actually never had a home visit. They just called our vet and two of my references. One of them actually just adopted a puppy too and the rescue didn't even call anyone.

And I heard back from the other pups I applied for eventually - after I got mine. Both told me that the puppies had been adopted (3 weeks later, I'd hope so) and to look at the other puppies that they had available. It kinda irked me because for one of them, I heard back the next day, said I was definitely interested, and then nothing for 3 weeks...

But I'm so glad I got the one I really wanted! She's pretty awesome (more active than what my husband signed up for but he loves her too, even if he won't admit it.. lol).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Be interested on what breed she is. She is cute for sure.

I've done rescue (SPCA) in the past but where I am now they have very few small dogs and are pretty pricey. I remember paying $75 dollars and out the door for my first 3. The two I have now are Westies. One from a family who bred their female and the second from a breeder. Both cases we visited first to make sure the dogs were taken care of. In the second case, I would have taken the mom home if I could. She was a sweetheart. The breeder had a nice setup going. She also had all her pups chipped at the first vet visit.

Happy with both, except when they bark at dogs on the TV.
  • klkarlen

That's the thing though... her sisters were black (one with white, one with brown) and actually looked a lot like my other dog (we don't know his breed either but he looks a lot like my sister's border collie). But her brothers had longer ears, shorter hair, with a white coat with much bigger brown spots (kinda like a beagle.. but the face is definitely not beagle-like).

So yeah, that's why I ended getting the DNA test, lol. It's kinda funny because people get so confused when they see her - 'oh hello cute border collie oh wait... what is she?'. Some of my friends think husky. I really have no idea (her tail does tend to go up when she's walking around, which is definitely not something my other dog's tail does). The rescue said Australian Shepherd/American Eskimo dog but that's definitely not it.

It's actually kinda fun to get to figure it out.

They sometimes put Husky/Eskimo dog when they see a blue eye. My Aussie/Collie cross has two blue eyes. Aussies often have one or two blue eyes. One of my earlier dogs (that lives with my ex) has one eye that is half blue, and she is also an Aussie cross.