Embarrassing constipation!

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt, dissolved into warm water. Tastes like death but very effective.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Pysillium husk powder
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    2nd (3rd, 4th) the magnesium! Buy some mag supplements, take before bed, feel better the next day.
  • pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds, ground flax seed, honey and peanut butter balls. Small serving before bed and u will be good. HOWEVER. Drink plenty of water because the chia seeds absorb 10x so water is needed!
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    So a friend been alot constipated this week! Anyone know of any home remedies that get it moving good again? Asking for a friend...lol

Took a look at your diary. If you're friend's diet is similar to yours there is very little fiber in it. Eat some fruits and veggies.

I take physyllum husk fiber capsuls. Just dont normally log it.
  • Ketolover71
    Options
    This is great information..glad we are having this conversation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This is great information..glad we are having this conversation.

I'm glad too :lol: This is just such a common problem, and many people are too embarrassed to talk about it or ask for help.
    I must admit, i have never had so many conversations about poop and pee as i have on this very forum lol I was a bit shy to talk about it at first, but these days the conversation flows easy and effortlessly :wink:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I was horrible forever. Sometimes laxatives didn't even work. I also eat like zero grains and fruit. Finally a GI doctor was like...listen, I know you log all your food. You already know more about your diet than 99% of my patients...but I still don't think you're eating as much fiber as you think you are.

Lo and behold. Ate some Fiber one and blue berries that night. Kept it up with the fruit at least. Been 100% for over two weeks now :) And the problem lasted for like...half a year lol. Stupid.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    More fibre which also means more water, as high fibre can sometimes have the opposite effect if you don't drink adequate water alongside.
    Not necessarily so. I'm referring to soluble fiber such as psyllium drinks, cooked beans, pears, cooked barley. Soluble fiber needs no added water. Insoluble fiber though such as bran flakes and grains don't absorb much water and don't help with constipation much.

I think you are misinformed about this. You must drink a good amount of water if you are using soluble fiber such as psyllium or oat bran. Insoluble fiber like wheat bran does help to get things moving.

If soluble fiber doesn't work, try insoluble fiber, or even both. And magnesium oxide is the best form for this problem. It is not well utilized by the body, and ends up passing through to where it is needed.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm on medicine and one of the side effects is constipation so to stay regular I eat at least 1 fiber one bar plus fruits and/or veggies everyday. I haven't had a problem since I've been on my medicine.. Also Chinese food and apple juice always make me go lol maybe ask your FRIEND if there is anything that makes them go right away? or a good ole suppository lol Good luck to your friend :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    A note on magnesium - the form of this mineral is important. For constipation, use magnesium oxide. I take magnesium aspartate for something else and it has absolutely no effect on my bowels.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    So a friend been alot constipated this week! Anyone know of any home remedies that get it moving good again? Asking for a friend...lol

Took a look at your diary. If you're friend's diet is similar to yours there is very little fiber in it. Eat some fruits and veggies.

I take physyllum husk fiber capsuls. Just dont normally log it.

Do log it and swap out one of your nutrients such as Sodium or Sugar for Fiber and make sure you hit your fiber goal daily.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Ketolover71
    Options
    Crazy question..is magnesium and magnesium oxide the same?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Crazy question..is magnesium and magnesium oxide the same?

It should you tell on the back of the bottle which forms of magnesium if contains. This one is very popular for constipation problems:

zplrcgbk5v8i.jpg
    p1cjxymn38uu.jpg

One caveat, magnesium works a lot better for me when i take it before bed on an empty stomach.