Why do you want to lose weight?

Options
I don't just mean "because I'm fat." But what is the "why" that will keep you on track even when the break room at work is full of food, or the leftover Easter candy is calling your name at the drug store (my issue...) or you are too tired to haul out the scale and log your food?
I think sometimes remembering why we committed to do something in the first place can help us even when we are lacking in motivation.
I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 188 (down 4 pounds so far). My initial goal is 175. In my younger days I was 150, but 175 seems doable.

For me, I want to lose weight because -
- I love to hike, and having less weight to haul up the mountain makes everything easier,
- I am getting older (just turned 45) and don't want to need new hips or knees when I'm old.

How about you?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When I started, it was so I didn't have to wear the same pair of pants for 40 years.

Now, I'm trying to get down to 125 so when I have a blow-out day, the weight gain from the food/sodium doesn't toss me back up into "overweight" on BMI.

I kept going because tracking became a habit. I don't eat free food mostly because I only get told there's free food after I've eaten and used up 95% of my daily calories.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love Asian clothing styles. Asian people have smaller frames, so the clothes run smaller than American sizes. IF I am the proper weight, I can fit into Asian clothes just fine as I am a tiny person. So, losing weight to fit into the clothes that I want to wear.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I want to be around a long time for my daughter and have a good quality of life as I age. I've made working out a habit and love the gym and would like to start running but need to lose more weight before attempting that because I don't want my knees to retaliate. lol
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I want to look hot in a bikini.
    I'm shallow.

I think my profile says something about skinny jeans being my inspiration, so yeah. I feel you. :D
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Because we live a lifestyle where being sexy is advantageous lol
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So I can play a sport again. It didn't keep me from doing it before, but it really held me back.
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight at 217lbs it was to get healthy, feel better about myself and look good. Now that i'm at a healthy weight (154lbs) i'm mostly doing it to look good :p
  • nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 and I want to run a 5k. I want to go hiking and swimming. I'm 225 lbs with 35% body fat. I want to be strong. I want to be fit. I want energy.

And I don't want to struggle with depression. Eating right and exercise is great for depression.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I want to prevent diabetes or delay it as much as possible doing all the right things that are within my control.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    im only 23 and spent 2 years of my life dieing on bedrest with a bad heart being a depressed no friend loser. I want to be the fit sexy fun girl next door every 19-21 year old deserves to be. Go on dates. Wear sexy clothes. Its life experiences i want and got robbed of. Now i turn heads ;D

Vain, Maybe. Any less legitimate? Never.

Not vain at all. Pretty inspiring actually.