Can I improve terrible cardiovascular fitness with 5 mins aerobic activity per day?

I really really don't like exercise, and I don't get any exercise. My cardio vascular fitness is very poor, although I am not overweight.

If I walk as briskly as I can for 5 minutes uphill 5+ days a week, will I see an improvement? If you think yes, how much improvement can I expect and after how long?

Currently after about 2 minutes I am absolutely hating it, can't speak and am gasping like a steam train.

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    sure, and you don't have to go all out all at once. try to keep at a pace and intensity to where you can still have a conversation. do that for 5 minutes, then up it to 10 when that gets too easy, etc. start small and increase as you can.

if you hate the walking though you can try something you hate less. if you have access to friendly water you can try swimming or water walking. or bike. or dance. it took me a really long time to find a cardio exercise that i wanted to do and didn't just force myself into because i knew i should do it.
  • lillywhite71
    lillywhite71 Posts: 14 Member
    I think I need to move more than brisk walking, skating, taking kids to the park to improve my heart and lungs. I don't like how any exercise feels when it make me out of breath. I would be motivated to continue with this walking for now as my teen is very keen to do it so I have to take them, I just wondered whether it is possible it would have some benefit.

Meaning, say I stuck it out for 4 weeks, would I find I could go for say six minutes or whatever without any extra effort? Or is there a minimum duration of cardio you have to be doing to see improvements?
  • lillywhite71
    By the way, I love spending time in the countryside, which is where we are doing the 5 min walks, it's the feeling of breathlessness I don't like.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Start by walking at a comfortable pace. Once you can do that, walk a little further, then further still. Then start adding in a minute of brisk, then 2, etc, etc.
    Take it at your pace and grow it.
    Once you have your basic fitness level up think about doing C25k. It can be done just walking as well as running.

Look on YouTube for 10 min workouts you can do at home for a bit of variety.

Start somewhere and keep going. I found when I started out consistency was important, so I set a time aside for exercise, I signed up for a class too, and would not miss doing something, anything, in that time window.

Cheers, h.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    if you're doing it consistently you'll see improvement. in 4 weeks i think you'll probably find that you can do a lot more than you can now.

i take the stairs up to the train on my commute every day. when i started to do this i was out of breath at the top of the stairs. after a few weeks i wasn't. it takes me less than a minute to get up those stairs but i improved nevertheless.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I think that yes, if you have difficulty after 2 minutes of walking, yet persist to 5 minutes and survive, and repeat that daily, you will soon discover that walking up that hill for 5 minutes isn't so bad.
    Depending on the grade you're talking about, it may always be an extra effort. Improving cardio-vascular fitness isn't exactly the same as bulking muscles such that you need 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to achieve the goal, but really that much protein would be a good thing to have anyway. You don't mention your age that I've seen, so I'll point out that improvement can happen faster as you are younger, but can still happen in advanced ages.

You should realize that a little improvement lets you want to get a little more improvement and soon you'll be a runner.
  • floridamike99
    floridamike99 Posts: 35 Member
    First, you should probably consult your doctor, rather than a bunch of amateurs here. Overweight or not, if you are "gasping like a steam train" after 2 minutes, you may have very serious cardiovascular issues. I am one of the amateurs I am referring to, but to me that sounds more serious than just being out of shape.

If your doctor gives you the go-ahead, then why don't you make a commitment to doing 30 minutes a day for one month? There are a lot of us who are kind of addicted to the endorphins released during physical activity. If you can get over the initial hump, you may find it very pleasurable. To really gain cardiovascular health, you are going to need to find something that you can tolerate doing for periods longer than 5 minutes.

You also may want to consider starting with something more moderate. Going uphill as fast as you can isn't exactly setting you up to the possibility of liking it more. How about starting with a more moderate pace on a level course? Save the hills for after you decide the basics aren't so bad.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    YES!, every little bit counts and helps!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    By the way, I love spending time in the countryside, which is where we are doing the 5 min walks, it's the feeling of breathlessness I don't like.

Slow down and walk at a pace that doesn't wind you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    I really really don't like exercise, and I don't get any exercise. My cardio vascular fitness is very poor, although I am not overweight.

If I walk as briskly as I can for 5 minutes uphill 5+ days a week, will I see an improvement? If you think yes, how much improvement can I expect and after how long?

Currently after about 2 minutes I am absolutely hating it, can't speak and am gasping like a steam train.

At this stage of the game, I really wouldn't worry too much about walking as briskly as possible or doing hill work...just go for a walk at a pace you are comfortable with and focus on just moving more...I think you would likely benefit more from longer, more moderately paced walks and you'd probably enjoy it more and thus be more inclined to do it and do it consistently.

Also, have you seen a doctor to rule out any potential cardiovascular issues other than lack of fitness?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2017
    You will see improvement up to the 5 minute mark. If you're expecting it to improve further than being able to walk uphill for 5 mins, then you will need to do more.

Otherwise.. maybe just walk where you like to walk at a pace that is comfortable. You might find you improve just from that. You can take longer walks every week if you want.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Do you like music or dancing? See if you can dance through a song, or even two! If flat out exercising isn't doing it, doing something fun might be a better alternative...
  • lillywhite71
    edited April 2017
    Ok thank you I am seeing similar advice. I didnt really think that walking fairly briskly on the flat would be exercising my heart and lungs enough to make any difference. But I can see that working so hard (it is a steep gradient) for a couch potato is more likely to put me off than encorage me to keep going.

Now I'm thinking maybe walk to the same place, but in a comfortable amount of time would suit better?

This means nothing to me but if it helps, I think I am walking about 375m with an elevation of 45m (so a 1 in i gradient) in 5 mins. I have no idea if that gradient and pace explains why it feels hard, or if its sedentary lifestyle.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2017
    Ok thank you I am seeing similar advice. I didnt really think that walking fairly briskly on the flat would be exercising my heart and lungs enough to make any difference. But I can see that working so hard (it is a steep gradient) for a couch potato is more likely to put me off than encorage me to keep going.

Now I'm thinking maybe walk to the same place, but in a comfortable amount of time would suit better?

This means nothing to me but if it helps, I think I am walking about 375m with an elevation of 45m (so a 1 in i gradient) in 5 mins. I have no idea if that gradient and pace explains why it feels hard, or if its sedentary lifestyle.

I'd vote for the sedentary lifestyle. As others have mentioned, you may want to check with a doctor to ensure there are no medical issues.

The US CDC recommends 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise a week (walking). Shoot for that goal to start. Best of luck.

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Walk on the flats slowly for 2 weeks. Then gradually speed it up for 4 weeks. Then start slowly walking up hill, stopping as often as needed for 2 weeks. Then try to take fewer rests. Then just keep going. Walking is a basic life function, so it's a good thing to be able to do without gasping for air. 5 min will enable you to make progress for awhile. 10 min would be twice as beneficial. Do see your doctor though.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Cardiovascular might not improve that much, but I have heard a lot about a modified HIT protocol for seniors and inactive people that has shown impressive results for the amount of time spent. I echo the sentiments of others in this thread that with the condition that you are in right now you probably should consult a doctor to make sure that there aren't any other health issues that might give you problems. I am of the opinion that miles do build champions and this is true for people that train a lot +12 hrs a week, but when time constrained especially how constrained you are best bang for buck is to increase intensity. Though, this is a recipe for injury if not overseen by someone who knows what they are doing and has worked with a sedentary population. Something however is better than nothing and the more you do something the easier it will become. Half of life I feel is just showing up.