First Cheat Meal

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese is not that high in sodium (I'm a cheeseaholic and switched from cheddar to cottage), not as much as a tin of baked beans... also you need some carbs, fat, sodium, etc etc just in small doses, as most say on here "Calories are the king" also MFP gives us our recommended daily allowances on all these, I'm no expert at all but from what I have read and experienced myself in the past if you go to the extremes of dieting your going to have a rough time and most likely put it all back on once the "diet" is over with but if you see it as more of a healthy lifestyle where its all about moderation and allowing yourself to have the occasional day where you go a little bit mad or do a little more exercise so you can have that tasty treat you've been craving but not enough to wipe out all your progress over that month think more long term, Wish you all the best.

To be fair, she never indicated that she eats 0 of these things. I watch my sodium intake - that doesn't mean I eat NO sodium (obviously, a near-impossible task). And yes, cottage cheese is fairly high in sodium, especially if one is trying to keep to 2300 mg or so per day.

She specifically said "Because im not going to eat salad dressing or carbs every day." It's more likely that she is mistaken about what carbohydrates are, because it's unlikely that she is on a carbohydrate-free diet the rest of the time, but if you take her words at face value, she did say she didn't eat carbohydrates on a daily basis.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not a cheat meal unless you break 10k calories within a few hours, eat your bodyweight in grease and feel ashamed by the end!

:laugh:
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :)
    I want to have a small cheat meal once a week
    Tonight's my first
    What should I eat??
    My macros are high protein, medium fat, low carb.
    I'm endomorphy af so I gain weight back pretty easily.

"endomorphy af". Pure gold lol.

Burger in lettuce wrap? What do you like?
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Cottage cheese is not that high in sodium (I'm a cheeseaholic and switched from cheddar to cottage), not as much as a tin of baked beans... also you need some carbs, fat, sodium, etc etc just in small doses, as most say on here "Calories are the king" also MFP gives us our recommended daily allowances on all these, I'm no expert at all but from what I have read and experienced myself in the past if you go to the extremes of dieting your going to have a rough time and most likely put it all back on once the "diet" is over with but if you see it as more of a healthy lifestyle where its all about moderation and allowing yourself to have the occasional day where you go a little bit mad or do a little more exercise so you can have that tasty treat you've been craving but not enough to wipe out all your progress over that month think more long term, Wish you all the best.

To be fair, she never indicated that she eats 0 of these things. I watch my sodium intake - that doesn't mean I eat NO sodium (obviously, a near-impossible task). And yes, cottage cheese is fairly high in sodium, especially if one is trying to keep to 2300 mg or so per day.

She specifically said "Because im not going to eat salad dressing or carbs every day." It's more likely that she is mistaken about what carbohydrates are, because it's unlikely that she is on a carbohydrate-free diet the rest of the time, but if you take her words at face value, she did say she didn't eat carbohydrates on a daily basis.

true....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - instead of labeling foods as cheats, bad, good,etc...focus on eating the foods you like while at the same hitting your calorie, macro, and micro targets for the day .....
  • teenytinyprincesspea
    teenytinyprincesspea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    °hides under a rock° jesus lol
    I'm trying to avoid grains (couscous) for the most part. Every few days i have some brown rice, but generally i'll have a piece or two of fruit per day and that's where i get my carbs from to fit into my macros and it fills me up more personally.
    Next week i might have a piece of pizza or some lo mein. There's no point in attacking me for 'failing' when i'm obviously trying to just look for advice. Yall need to lighten up, i'm just trying to making weight loss a relatively enjoyable experience without failing myself.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid grains (couscous) for the most part. Every few days i have some brown rice, but generally i'll have a piece or two of fruit per day and that's where i get my carbs from to fit into my macros and it fills me up more personally.
    Next week i might have a piece of pizza or some lo mein. There's no point in attacking me for 'failing' when i'm obviously trying to just look for advice. Yall need to lighten up, i'm just trying to making weight loss a relatively enjoyable experience without failing myself.

why are you avoiding grains?
  • teenytinyprincesspea
    teenytinyprincesspea Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My macros are at 30% carbs and right now im eating 1200-1300 calories a day
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My macros are at 30% carbs and right now im eating 1200-1300 calories a day

you realize that carbs are a minimum right? So it is ok if you are exceed your carb intake. What matters is that you meet your macros and micros and stay within your calorie count.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Geez. Eat a half a pizza or something. When you said "cheat meal" I was expecting that you'd eat a bowl of bacon or something fantastic.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Geez. Eat a half a pizza or something. When you said "cheat meal" I was expecting that you'd eat a bowl of bacon or something fantastic.

Just half?!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Or some icecream like she said she wanted in another post!

OP - don't demonise food. Like I said in another post, just because it's something you may not ordinarily fit in a normal day due to lack of caloric availability, doesn't make a food bad. You didn't cheat. You decided that you wanted more carbs.

Your calories are likely too restrictive anyway, so perhaps consider planning a higher cal day where these foods fit in just fine, along with some actual icecream or anything else you feel like. Plan it, log it, make it fit and know you'll still be achieving your goals.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Somebody flagged the OP? For what? :o:s
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am constantly reading about how members say you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits into your calories. But those of us who eat very low calories to begin with cannot fit pizza, ice cream, etc., into our daily meals. Hence, we have "cheat" meals to do that. If I regularly ate pizza, wings, cheese, or other high calorie items, I would not have much room left over for anything else. So, I understand what OP is saying. There are some of us who are on here who are already quite lean and want to get leaner. Therefore, we need to be very careful with our daily nutrition. At 1300-1400 cals daily, we need to be very choosy in what will satisfy and keep up full. So yes, quinoa and couscous and feta and full fat dressing could possibly be a "cheat" meal.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've just been cut to 1400, but with daily walks of at least an hour and/or 50 minutes on a fitness glider, I typically get 500-700 calories extra, of which I try to eat back half. No need for cheat meals. I just make room for extras within my calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cbl40 wrote: »
    I am constantly reading about how members say you can eat whatever you want, as long as it fits into your calories. But those of us who eat very low calories to begin with cannot fit pizza, ice cream, etc., into our daily meals. Hence, we have "cheat" meals to do that. If I regularly ate pizza, wings, cheese, or other high calorie items, I would not have much room left over for anything else. So, I understand what OP is saying. There are some of us who are on here who are already quite lean and want to get leaner. Therefore, we need to be very careful with our daily nutrition. At 1300-1400 cals daily, we need to be very choosy in what will satisfy and keep up full. So yes, quinoa and couscous and feta and full fat dressing could possibly be a "cheat" meal.

If you are lean and still eating an insane low amount of calories you need to reasses your goals and look into maintenance, bulk/cut etc...

And you can incorporate wings, pizza, etc and still hit body comp goals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cbl40 wrote: »

I got to 108 pounds eating things like quinoa, couscous, and pizza. Maybe not in the portions I ate before counting calories, but it can be done. I understand why someone might want to limit more calorie-dense items so they can have more volume -- but if your plan has you feeling like you can't have quinoa unless it is a "cheat day," I think it's time to consider that your goals may be too aggressive.

It's not like reasonable portions of quinoa or full fat dressing are going to crowd out other things you need -- in and of themselves they supply necessary nutrients. We need protein, fiber, and fat.