So why do you run?

Options
lisab42
lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
It was perfect. Great temperature since the thunderstorm broke the humidity, little country road all to myself, gentle breeze and the sound of my shoes. Got my little endorphin fix about 9k in and I felt like I could run forever. That's why I run, for those days when it all gels and feels like I know why I was put on the earth. Why do you run?

Replies

• wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    because it puts the world to rights, I love the feeling of being out even when its a struggle - the days when 12 miles feels like a stroll and the days 5 miles feels like I'm a mule on its last weary legs, I can go out upset even crying, angry, frustrated, worried and by the end of the run I'm happy, I've worked the world through my head and found peace again and I come back in with a smile and a relaxed happiness of soul.

Thats why I run
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I run because I hate running.

I know, that sounds weird.

I HATE running, but I LOVE a challenge. I believe it's the hard things that we don't think we can do that help us grow THE MOST.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If im running that means the cops or zombies are chasing me:laugh:
  • laeckloff
    laeckloff Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I run because i want to lose weight, also to try and tire out my dog she is the energizer bunny i swear it!
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Up until March of this year I was a couch potato - much preferring to sit in front of the tv and play my xbox rather than getting off my backside and "doing something" I needed a way to "earn" extra calories and walking just wasn't burning enough so I took up jogging. I love the challenge of getting my idle body moving and burning extra calories. Today I took a jog outside (I usually do them on a treadmill) The sun was out. Other joggers were out. Endomondo was logging my progress and it felt like a great day to be alive.

So, why do I run? Because I don't want to reach 90 years old and wish I'd done it while I could!
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If im running that means the cops or zombies are chasing me:laugh:

Made me laugh out loud. :laugh:
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    I run because I hate running.

I know, that sounds weird.

I HATE running, but I LOVE a challenge. I believe it's the hard things that we don't think we can do that help us grow THE MOST.

I love this reason! :)
  • JayneERich
    JayneERich Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I HATE running......but I still do it.....or I did up until a couple of weeks ago. I only started running in March of this year when I started to train for Race For Life which I done at the begining of this month. I went from not being able to run to running 5k non-stop - sometimes.

I intend to start again this week as I miss it and I NEVER thought I would say that in a million years. Since doing my race and not going running I'm lethargic, sleeping far to deeply and feeling generally blah!!

So I do it for me, because it clears my mind, its exercise and its free :smile:
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i run so i can keep traveling to new places and to do half marathons...for the finishers medal...the celebration tub of strawberry haagen dazs...for the kids who high five me along the way...for a reason to cheer someone else on when they look like they want to quick ... to do what i never thought i could
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I like to run, which is why I do it, I am not a great runner and I don't run for miles and miles I do intervals 2 minute 2 minute fast walk ect for about an hour in the gym. Doesn't burn as many Kcals as the cross trainer but I enjoy it alot.
  • FifiLea
    FifiLea Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Because I, finally, can. Even in the past when I've been thin, I've never been fit and now - even though I have a way to go to be my ideal weight - I can run and it feels fantastic. :happy:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I run because I like the challenge and I like competing in 5Ks. I'm more motivated to train because I want to see my time go down in the next race. And I run with a group 2 days a week, so it's a social thing, too. I've also found it helps with the weight loss, and it's more fun than working out on a machine in the gym.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a crappy fighter.
  • Margot18904
    Options
    Because I love that I can run, and I want to keep getting better and better and setting myself personal challenges and meeting them. It's time out on my own, when I can clear my head and I love exploring the local area.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Because I love the way my body feels when its "working" : rhythmic breathing, one foot in front of the other, heart rate up- it just all works together. I like to sight of my shadow on the ground while I run (that may be weird)
    I love the time to get out on my own for "my time" no kids no husband just me and the really loud pounding music in my head.
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I run because I love to accomplish new goals. Couldnt run for 10 minutes now I can do 40....thats why I run.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Because, at 45 I had never done it.
    Because, at 197 lbs, I thought I couldn't.
    Because I live in the country and don't always want to drive 30 minutes to go work out.
    Because it always sounded like fun.
    Because, I tried it and I liked it!
    Because, the only limit is the limit my mind puts on my body.
    Because, when I started, I couldn't run for 30 seconds - I now run 60 minutes.
    Because, when I started, 5k seemed impossibly long - now I'm training for a half marathon.
    Because I LOVE to come home sweaty as hell.
    Because I can.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Because my dogs got tired of walking.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Because it's the only time my brain will switch off for long enough for me to get a rest.

When it's good - it's so good.

When it's bad it sucks from start to finish.

But either way, the only thing I'm thinking about is nothing. It's pure nirvana for me!
  • PandaFit450
    PandaFit450 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I love the freedom!!
    When I put on my trainers and music - I'm in my own zone. For a short while I'm young again with no responsibilities, no worries - JUST a little piece of heaven!!

:wink: