Commercial Diets - Which ones have you had success with?

Options
Has anyone had success with any commercial diets? I'm on day 2 of the Almased diet, but I'm not really losing weight yet. I know I need to be patient though! I'm just wondering what are some of the better diet plans out there.

Replies

• breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to give up. I'm still in it, but feeling discouraged because I haven't lost any weight yet, so I was wondering if there was something better out there.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds using WW online and have maintained that loss for over 15 years. But - I know nothing about their current program, so would agree with recommendation to count calories.
  • breathless575
    Options
    I'm hopeful to see a loss tomorrow. After two days of nothing but liquids, I think I should start to see some small progress.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeful to see a loss tomorrow. After two days of nothing but liquids, I think I should start to see some small progress.

You have no idea what you're doing. You are not going to lose fat without chopping it off physically, because you are completely incapable of doing it any other way.
  • breathless575
    Options
    Momjogger, thank you for your advice. I like your snack ideas. Fruit, vegetables, lean meats, eggs, and yogurt sound like reasonable suggestions that I can incorporate into my diet. So, would you say you do low carb? Do you eat cheese?
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I do low carb but I'll reiterate what's been said already. It takes time to lose weight whether you count carbs, calories, or points. Is there a particular reason you need to see the scale drop so soon? An event coming up, maybe?
  • breathless575
    Options
    I have lots of family and friends who've tried everything from WW and 21 Fix, to Medifast, Nutrisystem etc. They were all successful with losing weight, but every single one of them gained all the weight back shortly thereafter. I'm the only one who's been able to maintain long term and I'm the only one who went the (free) route of counting calories. It's not trendy or glamorous, but it gets the job done :)

Thanks for responding. How many calories do you allow yourself each day and what do you eat to make up those calories?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm not looking to give up. I'm still in it, but feeling discouraged because I haven't lost any weight yet, so I was wondering if there was something better out there.

But you're just on Day 2 ... right? You can't expect to see weight loss already on Day 2.

When I started with MFP, I entered my details, chose sedentary as my activity level, and chose to lose 0.5 kg/week. MFP gave me the number of calories to eat.

I weighed and logged everything meticulously.

For 10 days ... nothing happened. No weight loss at all.

I figured I'd stick with it for 3 weeks and if there was no weight loss at the end of 3 weeks, I'd give up.

By the end of 3 weeks, I had lost 3 kg.

I've never gone the commercial diet route because I like choosing my own food, and because I made the decision that if I had a limited number of calories to work with, I would eat only foods I liked. But whether or not you go the commercial diet route to stay within your calorie limit, you've got to give it at least 3 weeks ... these things take time!

Edit: BTW - when I read "commercial diet" I was thinking along the lines of Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, not an all-liquid diet. I have a friend who does Jenny Craig and it seems to work for her. It seems expensive to me, but at least she's getting reasonably balanced and varied meals.