Commercial Diets - Which ones have you had success with?

Options

Replies

• mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I follow Weight Watchers. It is a sensible way of life that I can live with. I've maintained a 65 pound loss for four years.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    So in other words you're not eating food at all you're not following a sensible plan at all. Drinking too much water isn't good for you either if I were you I would stop this liquid diet, and eat solid food and follow the calorie intake that MyFitnessPal recommends.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It typically takes me 6 weeks to lose a pound. Not hours or days -- weeks. Patience is key.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP is looking for is someone to tell her what to eat. I get that.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The thing with commercial diets is that they'll put you in the caloric deficit needed to lose weight but they don't teach you how to keep the weight off. Maybe that's their scheme. It keeps you coming back to buy their stuff.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Yuck, don't do a liquid diet, don't do any pills, don't do any sort of program. Just eat healthy. It's really that simple. Eat fruits/vegetables/protein and then be active. It's really that simple. After 1-2 weeks you'll notice progress and after 3 weeks you'll have huge amounts of momentum. Just eat like a human should eat and you'll be great.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    plus you don't need a diet, you need a lifestyle change. You're not going to accomplish anything starving yourself on some random diet because at some point you need to stop it and you need to know how to eat when that day comes.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with any commercial diets? I'm on day 2 of the Almased diet, but I'm not really losing weight yet. I know I need to be patient though! I'm just wondering what are some of the better diet plans out there.

How Long did it take you to gain the weight? 2 days? Think about it
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    None. I've tried many and so have my friends. Juicing, "jump starts", diets that encourage you to cut out large entire food groups, they are all quick fixes that may give you results short term but seldom work for the rest of your life. Focusing on whole foods, calories in calories out, and exercise for a complete lifestyle overhaul is the best way to keep the weight off for good. And making adjustments little by little is the best way to stick to the new habits. A few minor adjustments a week are so much easier to execute than NOT EATING for 5 days and expecting to feel refreshed afterwards.
  • jamalimani
    jamalimani Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Atkins works well. I have had two doctors recommend it to me and I lost 22 pounds in 4 months. I have maintained it for the past 4 months. Now I am launching back into it for 13 final pounds and the win! I don't look at it as a diet. It is a low carb, high protein lifestyle change, which is great for me since my family history puts me at risk for diabetes! I can buy their Atkins stuff or just follow the rules. It is super easy and you don't have to "buy" anything to do the diet if you don't want to. You also can eat until you are full, you just have to eat the right stuff.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of commercial diets and no they did not work. I would start out enthusiastic but after a while I would get bored or more often starving hungry and end up eating way too much and so gaining back any weight I had lost.

The one you are on is going to cost you around £50-£60 for 14 days. It is a very low calorie product. Between 230-330 calories in each shake depending on if you use milk or water. So 690-990 calories per day. It is recommended that women do not go below 1200 calories per day as very low calories diets can have some very adverse effects on the human body.

I would say that by day 7 (if not before) you will be really fed up with it. You will lose weight to start with but once you get sick of the taste you will probably start cheating or even binging and put the weight back on.

Please consider just putting your statistics into MFP and then logging your food, counting your calories and eating tasty healthy food to lose weight.

So many people here have lost weight that way. I lost 32 pounds doing this kept it off for 2 years, I am now trying to lose a bit more so doing what I know will work.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't like being told I need to buy certain foods or invest in a program to do what those in third world countries do for free. I like knowing why I gain weight and what I can do to not only lose it, but keep it off.

No program or fad diet is going to get you started on the LIFE CHANGE you need to make in order to drop the extra weight you gained and the knowledge to keep it off.

I get to eat what I like to eat and feed my family what they've come to enjoy and expect. My diet consists of the regular foods I normally purchase at the grocery store and the great thing about it is its a diet I know I can stick with.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I think what the OP is looking for is someone to tell her what to eat. I get that.

Yes, this is true. It is easier to follow a plan than to try to figure it out on my own,

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »

Yes, this is true. It is easier to follow a plan than to try to figure it out on my own,

eat whatever you want up to your calorie goal. not joking.. whatever the heck you want. Not recommended yet you can do it on twinkies if you want to. The point I'm trying to hammer down is total calories is significantly more important the what they are right now. Yes fruits veggies etc should make up most of it but I eat ice cream every night. bacon and eggs for bfast. u get the idea
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Breathless575 I do eat cheese. I like low fat feta and sharp shredded cheddar, but I add it to things (salads and omelettes), I do not snack on it. I do eat starchy vegetables and fruit, so I don't think it is necessarily low carb, but I do try to limit starchy carbs to dinner usually (sweet and white potatoes, butternut squash - I make my own oven baked sweet and white potato fries too). I probably haven't had a starchy vegetable in 2 or 3 days maybe? I eat Oikos black label triple zero vanilla yogurt with fresh fruit and in smoothies a lot.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    So now lots of people have told OP that she cannot expect to lose weight in 2 days. OK, that has been beaten to death. She is still asking what commercial diets people have used and whether they have been successful.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have only followed (mostly) a plan twice:

Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. Plan that focuses on whole foods found in nature and minimally processed foods. It also restricts sugar and is fairly moderate/high in protein. I lost 30 or so pounds in about 4 months fairly easy. I stopped doing it and regained my weight. I think If I had continued with it I would have not regained like I did. The woe worked; I regained when I stopped it.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by Berbstein. A LCHF and ketogenic diet for keeping insulin low. I lost about 40lbs this time, in under 6 months. I have been doing it 2 years. I regained almost 10 lbs when my health took a turn, but I am slowly losing it again. I'm eating this way for life. I know I would go back to gaining if I return to my old ways.

I agree with the others that you need to be patient. Most people will only lose half a pound to a pound per week unless you have a large amount to lose. Be patient.

And becareful of eating a diet that you can't maintain. Chances are that once you stop, you will regain. Unfortunately. If is often wise to start as you mean to go on. KWIM?
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So now lots of people have told OP that she cannot expect to lose weight in 2 days. OK, that has been beaten to death. She is still asking what commercial diets people have used and whether they have been successful.

Thank you.