Big Black Women

Options

Replies

• SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Well, after reading all the different views from a large variety of backgrounds I just have this to say: People it is what it is! You are what you eat, but you can also be what want to be. To quote another MFP member whose name currently slips my mind, "Discipline is the diffrence between what you want now and what you want in the long run."

I was raised in a sourthen home environment where there was biscuits and gravey, lots of foods fried in lard. And sweet tea made with lots of sugar! I decided I was tired of being overweight and feeling like crap! I grew up in the inner city of Toledo, Ohio I went to school with Blacks, Hispanics and whites. It is the individual that choose what they are going to eat. No one forces us to eat unhealthy foods. If we have children it is the PARENT's responsiblity to see that they eat healthy not the schools or society to govern. America is over weight and it is not a Black, Hispanic or any other ethnic back ground issue. It's an American issue! Start manning up and being repsonsible for your own decisions and that of your children. Besides I though this was a site to encourage strength for all people to diet and get the support they need. I see over weigth White people just as much as I see over weight Black and Hispanic people (and if that's not the point, don't bring race into it!).

As for the stores the grocery owner is going to put on the shelves what his customers want to buy! I have asked my store to carry items when I want them and can't find them. Good luck to all who are taking their issue of weight into their own hands and accept it is their responsibility not that of the world to solve. Don't set yourself up for failure by making excuses that put the blame on others.

Down 85 lbs.

she wasn't putting the blame on anyone. she was addressing cultural differences in the standards of beauty and expectations of women. and there ARE different expectations from culture to culture. i honestly think you missed the entire point of this thread with all due respect.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What a shame the OP's concerns about her OWN experiences have been overlooked in favor of promoting some of our own agenda and social issues.
    People, at the end of the day, we are all faced with the consequences of our choices. It sucks to not be able to blame someone else because that forces us to look at ourselves as the main culprit....For whatever!
    I totally understand the OP's frustration. We all are met with difficult circumstances everyday. Bless her for having the fortitude to tell her story and push on for herself. It's so easy to have a 'pity party' instead and just go with the flow. (ie; my girlfriend was in town last week and had not seen me since I lost weight and she has since gained. Her solution instead of listening to my advice and what had worked for me, was to try to get me to eat, and eat and not exercise!)
    Persevere, push foward and I sincerely hope that your mfp cohorts can be helpful with lots of support and motivation.
    Look foward to hearing your progess!
  • CSINelson85
    Options
    Being an african american woman myself... I have thought about these issues. I live in a predominantly white suburb in Minneapolis and have noticed the stores around me do offer healthier options opposed to the corner stores one might come by if they were to go into an area that is predominantly black Americans... I don't know why it is this way... or if even society pushes us to be okay with being bigger.. but I myself don't feel comfortable being called thick. Though I love my curves.... being healthy overall is my main objective no matter what image society betrays a black woman as. We have a high risk for so many diseases associated with being overweight, and that should be our strive and determination for getting healthy, so we live long.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Well, it goes both ways... I wouldn't put a Whole Foods in a neighborhood where the demand for organic, fresh food isn't that high. Then again, you have to wonder: IF we had nothing but stores like that around us, would we eat that way and make it work on our budget?
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for posting. This is so enlightening. I am one of the many people who had never given thought to this issue. I also do not think Beyonce is fat but totally get the comparison---- I also do not think Jessica Simpson was ever fat but BOY did the media have fun humiliating her over a few pounds.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Well, it goes both ways... I wouldn't put a Whole Foods in a neighborhood where the demand for organic, fresh food isn't that high. Then again, you have to wonder: IF we had nothing but stores like that around us, would we eat that way and make it work on our budget?

I didn't read all of the back posts to get to this, but you have raised a very interesting question. I plan to attend law school and am considering getting into the law side of the food industry for this reason.

My thoughts: The "eating healthy is too expensive" excuse is NOT enough to convince me that it is necessary for people to buy total junk. Healthy food is not expensive at all when you consider what we spend every year on obesity related illnesses. It isn't even close to being comparable. Then there is the fact that 1/3 of our children now have type 2 diabetes. Apart from the actual medical costs associated with that, you cannot put a dollar sign on the health of a child. The whole thing makes me so angry.

That said, what makes me much angrier is the role our government plays in this.... all of the subsidies that make producing junk food so cheap. I will not say that healthy food is not affordable but I can agree that a family of lower socioeconomic status will have to make more sacrifices to fill their house with fresh fruits and veggies than an upper middle class family. I think it is so very wrong.
  • Devani34
    Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Being an african american woman myself... I have thought about these issues. I live in a predominantly white suburb in Minneapolis and have noticed the stores around me do offer healthier options opposed to the corner stores one might come by if they were to go into an area that is predominantly black Americans... I don't know why it is this way... or if even society pushes us to be okay with being bigger.. but I myself don't feel comfortable being called thick. Though I love my curves.... being healthy overall is my main objective no matter what image society betrays a black woman as. We have a high risk for so many diseases associated with being overweight, and that should be our strive and determination for getting healthy, so we live long.

Well said... I'm all about being healthy so I can enjoy a long, happy life with my husband and family (while I'lll STILL in my right frame of mind) .
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Very well said!
  • swaj
    swaj Posts: 3
    Options
    i must be the exception to the rule ... my father and one of my brothers in particular started obsessing about my weight when i was 14 years old and to the day he died, my father was still obsessing over it... my brother said "no woman should weigh over 130 lbs" and i took that to mean i was fat when i weighed 143... i look back at those pictures now and realize i wasn't fat, i was a FOX! i agree you become what you think you are, and all these years later I'm still getting rid of those voices and erroneous messages...

I'm doing this now because my health is at risk if I don't; it has nothing to do with my father or brother's obsessions -- i just want to be healthy and enjoy life a little more than i have been in recent years!
  • Devani34
    Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do agree that there is a double standard when it comes to what is considered acceptable in terms of size for black women vs. white women, but I am part of a community of black women who do want to be healthy, who are not in favor of being overweight, and who embrace a more healthy lifestyle. I was 260 lbs and lost down to 180, but I was never criticized for wanting to lose weight, I had nothing but cheers of support from family and friends. I think when women want to lose weight to embrace a superficial image of beauty, thats when its criticized. I realize and accept I will never be a petite size 2 or 4, and this just fine w/ me. I'm happy at my present weight which is 185 and a size 10/12. That may be considered overweight by society's standards, but I am actually more healthy and fit than many people smaller than I am.

I personally have never seen a case where a heavy black woman is preferred over a heavy white woman. From what I have experienced, heavy black women catch alot more flack about weight than heavy white women. I think the reason black women handle being overweight alot easier, is because we come from a background where we have heavy family members and heavy friends, so we don't stand out, where alot of times white women tend to be thinner in general, so when a white woman is heavier it's more obvious. Also, white people have always been celebrated as being diet and exercise conscious and the black race, not so much. Now that is rapidly changing as w/ the black race having statisically higher incidences of diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease, we are embracing more healthy living.

Weight, diet, fitness, should never be a race issue, but due to how alot of us have been raised, taught, and exposed to, there are some color lines. All of us should embrace healthy living, not fit in to ideal weight standards, or anyone's standards, but because it benefits our health and quality of life.

Go'head now!!!
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I see valid points in your statement. as a Black sistuh whose family values encouraged me to have this lifestyle, it's funny because it's a double standard. it's sad because when you do take healthy steps, people look at you like you are crazy and even make excuses for bad behavior and it's strange for you to want to eat whole foods! Bottom line is we have to take our journeys in the paths we create and feel are best for us. I wish you well on your journey.
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am just going to 'bump' this. I have so much to say about this topic.

Bottomline, it's not about what others think of you, it's what YOU think about yourself. If you don't like what you see in the mirror, then do something about it.

I'm done.

~Chika
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This is a great post and I can really relate to it. Good luck with your weight loss journey and you should write a blog!!!!
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My daily struggle. After losing 18 pounds so far i hear many things like, "why did you lose weight?" or "you looked fine before" well the fact that I was nearing a size 14 and knocking on 200 pounds, no way you can tell me i was fine before. And also, black people are on the top percent of all obesity related diseases and because of this reason. I wish there was a way to reach out to the entire black community and just say "it's okay to be healthy and you can do it!"
  • dnlg18652
    dnlg18652 Posts: 27
    Options
    What you said is certainly true in the St. Louis community.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    My daily struggle. After losing 18 pounds so far i hear many things like, "why did you lose weight?" or "you looked fine before" well the fact that I was nearing a size 14 and knocking on 200 pounds, no way you can tell me i was fine before. And also, black people are on the top percent of all obesity related diseases and because of this reason. I wish there was a way to reach out to the entire black community and just say "it's okay to be healthy and you can do it!"

I definitely heard the same thing and I wasn't even trying to lose a lot of weight. In college and high school years, your look and figure is ESPECIALLY important. When I talk to my non-black friends they always gush and say that I look really great but when I talk to my black friends they always say you were so "thick" before! When did being fat all over turn into being thick and desirable? The difference in perceptions is crazy to me.
    When going grocery shopping and faced with the choice of healthy food or junk food, more often than not they would go for the junk. I just don't get it. Even though we are in our early twenties, don't they realize it will catch up to them eventually? I've seen their overweight parents ---> it just seems like a never ending cycle.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this. As a multiracial predominately black woman, I'm SICK of people asuming that because black women are...well, black...then it's okay for black women to be obese! IT'S NOT!!! YES i love my curves, YES my boyfriend loves my curves... But I want to be fit AND have curves. Curves that aren't there just because I carry so much fat. My thighs curve that way because they're full of muscle from walking, jogging, hiking, not because the magic soul food "blessed" me with it.

And I hate that othe black people are weird about it. My exteneded family is confused about why I'm losing weight, but then want to comment that "I've gotten so heavy" or "girl, you are slim, you need more food anyway *hands me another PLATEFULL of fatback-collards and fried cornbread*" Or being picked on because I only ate one plate of food, and everyone else has had three to six in one sitting.

I'm black. I'm multiracial. I'm female. NONE of that should impact how people view my body or my weight. I admit that bad choices got me to my worst point, but even edging 200, people always said "you look so good!" (code for: well...you dress nicely for your weight.)

*breathes in and out* alright... i think im good now. point is, OP, you are right.
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I definitely heard the same thing and I wasn't even trying to lose a lot of weight. In college and high school years, your look and figure is ESPECIALLY important. When I talk to my non-black friends they always gush and say that I look really great but when I talk to my black friends they always say you were so "thick" before! When did being fat all over turn into being thick and desirable? The difference in perceptions is crazy to me.
    When going grocery shopping and faced with the choice of healthy food or junk food, more often than not they would go for the junk. I just don't get it. Even though we are in our early twenties, don't they realize it will catch up to them eventually? I've seen their overweight parents ---> it just seems like a never ending cycle.

so true! I dont understand the choices either when you have the better (healthier) option right in front of you. My favorite (sarcastic) moment was when i went out to eat with a group of friends. I ordered a turkey sandwich and broccoli. everyone else ordered fried chicken strips with french fries. when my plate came to me everyone said...."ugh whats that"....the never ending cycle continues.
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options

so true! I dont understand the choices either when you have the better (healthier) option right in front of you. My favorite (sarcastic) moment was when i went out to eat with a group of friends. I ordered a turkey sandwich and broccoli. everyone else ordered fried chicken strips with french fries. when my plate came to me everyone said...."ugh whats that"....the never ending cycle continues.

lmao it helps if you know what vegetables look like without it coming from a can. It also helps if you dont consider fries and ketchup("but its made from tomatoes!") as your veggies of the day
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Well, after reading all the different views from a large variety of backgrounds I just have this to say: People it is what it is! You are what you eat, but you can also be what want to be. To quote another MFP member whose name currently slips my mind, "Discipline is the diffrence between what you want now and what you want in the long run."

I was raised in a sourthen home environment where there was biscuits and gravey, lots of foods fried in lard. And sweet tea made with lots of sugar! I decided I was tired of being overweight and feeling like crap! I grew up in the inner city of Toledo, Ohio I went to school with Blacks, Hispanics and whites. It is the individual that choose what they are going to eat. No one forces us to eat unhealthy foods. If we have children it is the PARENT's responsiblity to see that they eat healthy not the schools or society to govern. America is over weight and it is not a Black, Hispanic or any other ethnic back ground issue. It's an American issue! Start manning up and being repsonsible for your own decisions and that of your children. Besides I though this was a site to encourage strength for all people to diet and get the support they need. I see over weigth White people just as much as I see over weight Black and Hispanic people (and if that's not the point, don't bring race into it!).

As for the stores the grocery owner is going to put on the shelves what his customers want to buy! I have asked my store to carry items when I want them and can't find them. Good luck to all who are taking their issue of weight into their own hands and accept it is their responsibility not that of the world to solve. Don't set yourself up for failure by making excuses that put the blame on others.

Down 85 lbs.

she wasn't putting the blame on anyone. she was addressing cultural differences in the standards of beauty and expectations of women. and there ARE different expectations from culture to culture. i honestly think you missed the entire point of this thread with all due respect.
    yeah, id have to agree with skate on this one...