Does anyone else here have issues with anxiety/panic attacks

I had a panic attack on the treadmill today and it totally freaked me out. I take medication for it be still have the occasional attack. Today it just happened to be on the treadmill. Any support would be appreciated.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I definitely have too much anxiety. It's rare for it to turn into a panic attack, it's more like a low but constant background worry or sense of unease, when I have it. Being outdoors helps. Really intense cardio usually helps, too, I think it's a combination of "runner's high" and being too exhausted to care. They can prescribe medicine, but this works for me.
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    My anxiety used to be quite bad. About seven years ago I dropped seven pounds (which is a big deal for my size). Since then I've gone to therapy a couple times but each time I only went for about three sessions before I felt a lot better and I was deemed to not need anymore (I haven't need to go back since 2014).

But I haven't had a really bad time with it for about a year. I was a few weeks out from going on a trip to Europe and my body wouldn't let me calm down. I had two weeks of my heart constantly racing and I kept feeling like I was wanting to burst into tears so I now have some ativan for when I need it (which is rare. The last time I took it was when I got married in December lol).

So I know how you're feeling. When I used to go to the gym there'd be the odd time when I would be right in the middle of something and it would hit me like a ton of bricks and I'd have to immediately stop. I'd feel so light headed and sick and making it home was a challenge.

Thanks for your reply. It has been a good while since I have had one. But on the treadmill was bad. Because in a panic attack you always think of the worst scenario so I was like, uh black out, heart attack, low blood sugar etc. I was fine after a few minutes but needless to say my workout was over.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    I deal with anxiety too. Never had an attack at the gym, but can imagine the feeling- I'm sorry that happened. I don't have much insight except that meds, therapy, and healthy living have made a huge difference for me. I realize how much and what I eat and how active I am really effects my mood and ability to cope well
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2017
    I used to have panic attacks at least daily if not multiple times a day. I read the book "Hardcore Self Help: *kitten* ( the F word) Anxiety" and I dropped down to maybe one panic attack a year. I think I got it for a few dollars on Amazon as an ebook, but it was really instrumental for learning to control my anxiety rather than letting my anxiety control me.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    I was just diagnosed with anxiety. Full on Panic attacks are few and far between thankfully but I do still get very anxious almost daily. I have been learning about ways to talk myself down and breathing techniques. They are helpful. But sometimes in the heat of the moment it's not so easy.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I go through long periods of good "control" if that's the word, but also have random episodes. It's always unsettling, even when it only lasts a short time.

For me, I find that the more I can keep life in balance--food, sleep, exercise, etc--the fewer issues I have. I am also reactive to too much caffeine, so I have to moderate that. I have given up seeking medical attention. After 20+ years, I have never gotten any useful information from medical folks.

Not much practical advice for you, sorry. Hopefully, reading everyone's testimonials will provide some useful nuggets.
  • mhwitt74
    Thanks everyone for sharing. This the first full on panic attack I have had in quite some time. It was just very bad timing this time. Mine are completely random but luckily not often. I was fine about 30 minutes later. Back at it again tomorrow. I don't let them get me down like I used to.
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    mhwitt74 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for sharing. This the first full on panic attack I have had in quite some time. It was just very bad timing this time. Mine are completely random but luckily not often. I was fine about 30 minutes later. Back at it again tomorrow. I don't let them get me down like I used to.

Do you have any idea what triggered it?
    I have been told to try to keep track of what was going on around me to try to avoid those triggers and to be aware what is happening so I can calm myself easier.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    strshllw84 wrote: »

I have been told to try to keep track of what was going on around me to try to avoid those triggers and to be aware what is happening so I can calm myself easier.

I know you're not asking me but generally if they happen to me they come out of nowhere so they make no sense and I have zero idea what caused it. I handle stressful situations great, it's calmness that makes them come about lol

While we call them "panic attacks" or "anxiety attacks", they don't necessarily have any relation to stress or "anxiety". The term describes the symptoms, not the cause.

AFIK, it's a brain wiring issue in which certain things trigger a biochemical response that mimics a response to the actual stressors.

Because of the nature of the symptoms, over time they tend to increase anxiety--you can say that the attacks themselves start to provoke the symptoms that they mimic.

But it is unfair to people who suffer from these attacks to characterize them as somehow weaker or less hardy than those who don't have them. Essentially, it's no different than someone who has allergies or migraines.
  • mhwitt74

I know you're not asking me but generally if they happen to me they come out of nowhere so they make no sense and I have zero idea what caused it. I handle stressful situations great, it's calmness that makes them come about lol

Exactly! Finally someone who understands that there is no rhyme or reason, they just happen
  • mhwitt74
    Azdak wrote: »

While we call them "panic attacks" or "anxiety attacks", they don't necessarily have any relation to stress or "anxiety". The term describes the symptoms, not the cause.

AFIK, it's a brain wiring issue in which certain things trigger a biochemical response that mimics a response to the actual stressors.

Because of the nature of the symptoms, over time they tend to increase anxiety--you can say that the attacks themselves start to provoke the symptoms that they mimic.

But it is unfair to people who suffer from these attacks to characterize them as somehow weaker or less hardy than those who don't have them. Essentially, it's no different than someone who has allergies or migraines.

Yes! Thank you so much. People who don't have them can't understand what it's like. Like I said before, mine are completely random. This one was particularity bad timing.
  • ruthgrps1
    ruthgrps1 Posts: 6 Member
    I have panic attacks, practically anywhere, at home, outside, in the car ( I dont drive) but still have panic attacks, my first one was on a bus, luckily my mum was with me. They have been with me ever since, they are nasty things to deal with. Hope yo felt better quickly, I usually dont. I also have them when I am in a hospital with my doctor. One time when she was younger and I was stayiing on the ward with her for a week, I felt sick(nausea) all week, when we got home the first thing I did was vomit.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Never had them growing up but once I hit my late 20's I was getting them regularly. It really makes it scary to exercise vigorously because any significant hr increase feels like a panic attack us about to come on.

I cut caffeine from my diet and started doing breathing exercises to help calm me. But ever since I've been eating healthy, going on long walks and lowering my bp thru diet exercise I haven't had one in so long.

Eating salty foods and drinking caffeine seems to make me anxious
  • mhwitt74
    omakase619 wrote: »
    Never had them growing up but once I hit my late 20's I was getting them regularly. It really makes it scary to exercise vigorously because any significant hr increase feels like a panic attack us about to come on.

I cut caffeine from my diet and started doing breathing exercises to help calm me. But ever since I've been eating healthy, going on long walks and lowering my bp thru diet exercise I haven't had one in so long.

Eating salty foods and drinking caffeine seems to make me anxious

Luckily my health is good. No high bp or anything. I don't have a lot of caffeine. You are right about the scary part. Mine didn't start really until my early 30's.
  • alltimeburrit0
    alltimeburrit0 Posts: 41 Member
    I get panic attacks a lot - I've never had one on a treadmill, I can imagine that's scary.
    Try counting down from 100 or if you listen to music concentrate on the words and try and repeat them as then it should try occupy your mind. Or if you can go to the gym showers ?

I find I'm close to asthma attacks on treadmill but I find them techniques distract my mind and therefore help my breathing naturally.

For my panic attacks though they're much worse, not sure I would cope if one happened in public
  • mhwitt74
    I get panic attacks a lot - I've never had one on a treadmill, I can imagine that's scary.
    Try counting down from 100 or if you listen to music concentrate on the words and try and repeat them as then it should try occupy your mind. Or if you can go to the gym showers ?

I find I'm close to asthma attacks on treadmill but I find them techniques distract my mind and therefore help my breathing naturally.

For my panic attacks though they're much worse, not sure I would cope if one happened in public

Sounds like yours are worse than mine. I can work my way through it most of the time. I just have to remove myself from the space that I am in and they will usually pass plus I have meds if I need them. I have had them just about anywhere you can think of but this one on the treadmill freaked me out. Good luck with yours as well
  • CrustyMedic
    CrustyMedic Posts: 1 Member
    I have had issues with anxiety depression over the years, have had only one panic attack. It was attributed to the new antidepressant I was prescribed. Researching the medication, I identified that one of the side effects was panic attacks. Discontinued it. Other similar mess may be a better fit.
  • rjel78
    rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
    I have had anxiety too and sometimes it makes me dizzy so therefore I do not work out because of it. I know I need to exercise but when it gets this bad I take the day off and try to relax