5000 calories over

Options
I went 3000 calories over my maintenance calories on Sunday and no weight gain. Today I went 5-6000 calories over. Will I gain weight??? Does anybody else have binges that big? I feel so bad.

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I definitely do, and in my opinion it's important to allow yourself to have those days where you just lose control. The only thing you can do at after is pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and keep moving forward like nothing happened. Make yourself do it even if you don't want to, because in the end it's about discipline over motivation.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I went 3000 calories over my maintenance calories on Sunday and no weight gain. Today I went 5-6000 calories over. Will I gain weight??? Does anybody else have binges that big? I feel so bad.

Yes, you have been a very bad girl, find someone to punish you.
    My binges are under 2k over goal.

edit to delete image, which wasn't funny to all, lol
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Just like losing weight, gaining doesn't happen overnight.

You still logged, which is good - many people just say "oh, heck with it" and stop logging.

I'm going to agree with the previous posters that suggested you determine WHY you ate so much. Perhaps you need to raise your calorie goal or play with your macros. If it's an emotional thing, determine the trigger and see what you can do to prevent that in the future. Talk to a professional if you need to - it can be a VERY helpful thing :)

Best wishes.

~Lyssa
  • quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes that was bad however, get right back on the bandwagon don't beat yourself up. I binge every once in awhile
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious what exactly you ate that was that much calorie.

You are like many who binge eat, you simply feel bad at the wrong time! Next time you should feel bad immediately when food is brought in front of you. :) That will make a difference.

I don't binge, but my friends and I lately love to eat at Korean grill buffet. We usually stay for over 3 hours!

I like to eat enough to cover the next 2, 3 meals but it's not possible. Everything seems gone the next day. LOL.

• endlessfall16
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I'm just curious what exactly you ate that was that much calorie.

You are like many who binge eat, you simply feel bad at the wrong time! Next time you should feel bad immediately when food is brought in front of you. :) That will make a difference.

I don't binge, but my friends and I lately love to eat at Korean grill buffet. We usually stay for over 3 hours!

I like to eat enough to cover the next 2, 3 meals but it's not possible. Everything seems gone the next day. LOL.

Yes an enormous difference- it would foster an even more unhealthy relationship with food :/

Has it happened to you or anyone you know?

You know it's not different from the concept of learning from one's mistakes. Learning history. If you can't feel or realize past mistake's impact, you'll repeat it.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The weight gain might not show up the next day. But don't be surprised if you show a gain of a couple pounds in a week or 2. I often fluctuate 1-2 lbs per day, which can mask a gain or loss.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    The same way you can be in a deficit and gain (but still have lost fat) due to water fluctuations you are able to do the opposite. If you are over maintenance you are gaining fat. It's doubtful your deficit was over 8k/week so I would think that although your relationship with gravity hasn't changed you have stored fat. I agree with the first poster about addressing why you're overeating to that extent before I worried about 1lb of fat tho
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    Hoshiko wrote: »

You know it's not different from the concept of learning from one's mistakes. Learning history. If you can't feel or realize past mistake's impact, you'll repeat it.

Not the person quoted but I have, and those people are called anorexics. Feeling bad about food is usually not a helpful thing.

Let me try to understand you correctly. You know first hand of people who have gone from overweight to being anorexics?

That's a very long distance to go, or even if possible. You may aim for the moon but likely all you can reach is the hill and you know you are on the hill if it happens.

However, the continuous, repetitive, destructive overeating in overweight folks is very real and all too common. Worrying about becoming anorexics is too much of putting the cart before the horse.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Let me try to understand you correctly. You know first hand of people who have gone from overweight to being anorexics?

Yes, I have known multiple people who have had different manifestations of eating disorders during their lives, from binge eating to over-restricting and vice versa. An unhealthy relationship with food can take many different forms during someone's life.

It's also pretty common to binge because someone was too restrictive with their food in the first place. A lot of diets fail because people are too gung-ho in the beginning and then give up, eat too much and feel terrible. It's a vicious cycle.

Edited to add: I know there is a difference between crash dieting and anorexia. Just wanted to point out that I have know diagnosed anorexics who were formerly overweight, and vice versa.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kpkitten wrote: »

Not the person quoted but I have, and those people are called anorexics. Feeling bad about food is usually not a helpful thing.

That's a very long distance to go, or even if possible. You may aim for the moon but likely all you can reach is the hill and you know you are on the hill if it happens.

However, the continuous, repetitive, destructive overeating in overweight folks is very real and all too common. Worrying about becoming anorexics is too much of putting the cart before the horse.

Anorexia doesn't just affect slim people. In fact, with all the pressure on overweight people to lose it, I wouldn't be surprised if it affects more overweight/obese people than already slim - it's just ignorance like this that leads to it going undiagnosed.
    You can be 400lbs and anorexic, all it means is that you dramatically reduce your food intake to the point of eating barely anything in an attempt to lose weight.

I honestly don't understand the last paragraph. Anything i have ever read about anorexia is that they are incredibly skinny and at a very low bmi. I'm not saying it's not true.. but anorexic at 400lbs? Malnourished maybe...

• NoIdea103
    NoIdea103 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Yep, one of those right here. Went from overweight to 97lbs before I recovered. Took me two years to fully recover from 3 years of anorexia, and it is quite common for those recovering anorexia to develop binge eating disorder (like I did).

So I'm now 143lbs again, technically overweight, and am here instead to help me lose that weight. But it is hard. It's all too easy to slip back into bad habits, even now, and I find that it can get to the stage where I am too controlling and will slip back into eating a days worth of calories over an entire week. But I'm really trying to keep a healthy mindset and not go back there.

So yes, it is possible, and an unhealthy relationship with food - feeling bad about eating - has seriously damaging consequences, mentally and physically, for years even after recovery. Really not the sort of advice anyone should be giving out IMO.