"The most important thing you can do to lose weight"

Options

Replies

• SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Eyeballing is not a bad idea if you are true to yourself.

Back in the day, I did not know about MFP. So I did the next best thing and just 'eyeballed' my portions, and ate as well as I possibly could (but not always 'clean'.) Then a couple of weeks later, I started writing down what I was eating, and approximately how much (1 cup, 1 piece, etc.) but not writing calories because I did not know them. But like what other posters mentioned, I was very honest with myself on the portions. My goal was to lose 22 lbs. I lost 10lbs just by self-discipline in about 1.5 to 2 months. The rest after that I lost with a combination of eating and P90X.

After baby, I put on 30 extra lbs. (Not during pregnancy, but after, by eating at random times, and not paying too much attention due to time and exhaustion. Go figure!) But this time I am using MFP! :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I'd never seen it before. Thanks for bumping.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    coming with someone diagnosed with hypothyroidism, THANK YOU for posting this!!
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    For those still looking for that original video. I found it on another site.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-losing-weight/

Wow! This is great!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Great bump! I remember when I had a bad metabolism and didn't eat that much. Ignorance was so blissful yet painful lol
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    "Sorry this video does not exist." :'(
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Glad this was bumped; interesting read and videos! Thanks!
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had to bookmark this!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping this.
    So true - when I started weighing my food rather than eyeballing, I realized just how much I was overeating.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have hypo thyroidism and when I 100% log my calories and stick to my limit, I actually loose weight and I've run into a few people who also have hypo thyroidism and they say that's why I can't loose weight and maybe they can't but also think they are not making much of a effort to either.

The maths of CI<CO in action! Thanks, @fuzzyfrenzy02 :smile:
  • Orphia
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This is a new article about a scientist, Dr William Wong who is studying the difference between orangutans and humans' weight using doubly-labeled water:

http://www.wfaa.com/life/byrons-lens-the-secret-in-an-orangutans-pee/447773445

It also mentions others scientists, Dr. Herman Pontzer and Dr. Rob Shumaker, who are also using the water to study human calorie expenditure.

"Even accounting for the fact that apes and humans have different body sizes, the data reveal that humans burn calories 27% faster than other primates. " Apparently due to our brains' energy expenditure.
  • pandam00n
    pandam00n Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm glad there was a written summary here, because it seems that the video has been removed :/
  • Orphia
    Options
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I wonder how you'd go about having this done???
    I've been very strict with my measuring, using measuring cups and measuring spoons.
    However, I know some people are even more diligent with using scales....which I had done before my food scale broke....
    If there's a link for being able to have this done, please let me know....I'd love to try it!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Angied725 wrote: »
    I've been very strict with my measuring, using measuring cups and measuring spoons.
    However, I know some people are even more diligent with using scales....which I had done before my food scale broke....
    If there's a link for being able to have this done, please let me know....I'd love to try it!

check your local area for a sports clinic or a sports doctor.

I was able to get my BMR tested, a dexa scan, and a bodpod done all out-of-pocket and for fairly cheap.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Angied725 wrote: »

@Angied725

Here's a video about the inaccuracy of using cups and spoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I need to get another scale! :#:/