• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    oXKE9IH.gif

Bumping for visibility.
  • Genievaikisue
    Genievaikisue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like this post and I'm bumping it back to the top of the boards so that others can find it. Carry on.

pppwppq
  • shannon_in_love
    shannon_in_love Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a question then. I zero a scale to my bowl. I add 1 cup of cereal. The weight is 3.4 oz. Should i log the weight or the amount?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I have a question then. I zero a scale to my bowl. I add 1 cup of cereal. The weight is 3.4 oz. Should i log the weight or the amount?

@shannon_in_love It's best to use food entries that are measured in grams. Cups are very inaccurate when it comes to non-liquid food. Kind regards.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The weight. Density of things is variable whereas the weight always relates to the calorie content.
  • shannon_in_love
    shannon_in_love Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok, sounds good! thanks @yarwell and @Orphia
  • ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So, how exactly did she managed to be off by so much?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lf3gf8kqZ11qeomz1.gif

Just a bump for the New Year.
  • penkwin
    penkwin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    This reminds me of the British tv show secret eaters.

Me too! Being on top of things and honest with yourself is so important. This is a really good video!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Oooh! I love doubly labeled water studies! Here's a few other ones by BBC-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLwzbvx4S4

OMG ...how did she form that conclusion from what she was told? :open_mouth:

This video is so MFP worthy

Yep! :) Glad someone got some enjoyment out of it.

Yes thanks for posting! I had forgotten that 2nd video, it had been some years since I've seen it.

I know people who struggle from hypothyroidism. It's not a problem that I want. You have to be on a pill for the rest of your life. And then maybe if your BMR was 1200 before now it's 1400 or something. It still doesn't let you just eat what you want.

The first video reminds me a LOT of people I know. "I don't eat that much!"

For me personally, I can easily EASILY eat 3k calories on a 'normal' day and not feel like I'm overeating. That's like 1k above my maintenance per day. Three and a half days later and that's a pound I've put on. All from only 3 days of not watching (or caring) what I'm eating. I've noticed on these all-day binge fests I often forget certain things that I've eaten. So maybe I'd like 2200 calories only to think it over and realize I left off another 500 in snacks here and there. And I'm someone who has used MFP a lot and is educated on logging. I can't imagine how easy it is to forget and underestimate when you haven't logged and weighed food before.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You don't want to lose weight, you want to lose fat! Losing weight is easy, losing fat is much harder.
  • lunchpack2sixpack
    Options
    Hi Friends,

I joined MFP this year and have been logging my meals for the past 30 days. First off, I have to say that MFP is a life changer for me. I'm 6'1", 171 lbs, ~23 BMI and I never cared about what I eat, did not do much exercise and was having 4 packets of sugar every morning with my small coffee. Yes, 4 packets. In the last 30 days, my eating habits have vastly improved (replaced 4 slices of wheat bread breakfast + cream cheese with oatmeal, replaced heavy white rice dinners with salad and fruits etc.) and I have been exercising at least 5 days each week, sometimes 6. My goal is to sustain portion control and exercise and the hope is that if I did it right, I will lose weight.

Question - In the first two weeks since using MFP, I lose 1.5 lbs. Since then, no further weight loss. This in spite of reducing my daily calorie goal from 1900 to 1700 and sticking to the new goal. I have a food scale and I count almost every single thing I eat...down to honey and sugar. So I don't think I'm grossly underestimating the calories consumed. Also, I don't overestimate exercise calories because Apple Watch supposedly gives me far more accurate calorie burned compared to the NordicTrack Elliptical on which I run, which supposedly inflate the numbers. Not sure what else I can do at this point than to keep going at it and see what happens in the coming weeks.

Can you guys look at my diary and tell me if you spot anything that I can fix? My diary is public.

Thanks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,

I joined MFP this year and have been logging my meals for the past 30 days. First off, I have to say that MFP is a life changer for me. I'm 6'1", 171 lbs, ~23 BMI and I never cared about what I eat, did not do much exercise and was having 4 packets of sugar every morning with my small coffee. Yes, 4 packets. In the last 30 days, my eating habits have vastly improved (replaced 4 slices of wheat bread breakfast + cream cheese with oatmeal, replaced heavy white rice dinners with salad and fruits etc.) and I have been exercising at least 5 days each week, sometimes 6. My goal is to sustain portion control and exercise and the hope is that if I did it right, I will lose weight.

Question - In the first two weeks since using MFP, I lose 1.5 lbs. Since then, no further weight loss. This in spite of reducing my daily calorie goal from 1900 to 1700 and sticking to the new goal. I have a food scale and I count almost every single thing I eat...down to honey and sugar. So I don't think I'm grossly underestimating the calories consumed. Also, I don't overestimate exercise calories because Apple Watch supposedly gives me far more accurate calorie burned compared to the NordicTrack Elliptical on which I run, which supposedly inflate the numbers. Not sure what else I can do at this point than to keep going at it and see what happens in the coming weeks.

Can you guys look at my diary and tell me if you spot anything that I can fix? My diary is public.

Thanks!

When you choose "homemade" or "generic" items from the database, you're making the (very big) assumption that the person who created that entry prepared the item the same way you (or the person who cooked yours) did. Example: when I make potato salad, I use a little bit of mayonnaise. When my aunt makes it, she uses TONS. If I created an entry for potato salad and my aunt chose that to log her meals, she could be consuming 100s of calories more than I would be. We are both eating the same amount of potato salad -- but our recipe is very different.

You can greatly improve the accuracy of your logging by not using "homemade" or "generic" entries. Do you prepare your own food or do you have access to the recipe used to prepare your food? If so, use the MFP recipe builder to build the recipe. It's a much better way to understand the calories you're consuming.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    When you choose "homemade" or "generic" items from the database, you're making the (very big) assumption that the person who created that entry prepared the item the same way you (or the person who cooked yours) did. Example: when I make potato salad, I use a little bit of mayonnaise. When my aunt makes it, she uses TONS. If I created an entry for potato salad and my aunt chose that to log her meals, she could be consuming 100s of calories more than I would be. We are both eating the same amount of potato salad -- but our recipe is very different.

You can greatly improve the accuracy of your logging by not using "homemade" or "generic" entries. Do you prepare your own food or do you have access to the recipe used to prepare your food? If so, use the MFP recipe builder to build the recipe. It's a much better way to understand the calories you're consuming.

I love the recipe builder. I wish it had better organization and sorting though, and that we could add photographs of our own recipes!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I must confess I've never used the recipe builder.

When logging a new meal, I just log all the ingredients, then when I have it next time, they all come up in my recent/favourites.
  • MsObesityRehab
    MsObesityRehab Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bumping! I love this documentary the thing is great info! Btw pls add me!