"The most important thing you can do to lose weight"

Options

Replies

• biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just wonder why people lie to themselves. Or are they really not aware of what they eat all day?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    N5QPbRH.gif

Bump.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Great thread but that documentary vid doesn't work anymore.

I really like the belly dancer vid where she asks if they mean egg and vegetable calories or crème cake calories. "Just calories." Exactly! CICO
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @AsISmile I love that show. One man stood out to me. He thought he was eating so healthy .. And for breakfast would pour like half a container of double cream on his cereal. Topped with jam. Yikes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    yeah who knew it was never about our metabolism...we just were eating too much...
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun @ funny how certain things catch on and never seem to let go.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @eringurl33 yep :smiley: I suppose it was easy to believe that lie...
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I am 14kgs down, despite many many slips, I dust myself off and try again. If you face your nature, you have to succeed.

Awesome. It's all about consistency over a long period of time. Momentary stumbles are nothing if you get back on track. Good job!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I just wonder why people lie to themselves. Or are they really not aware of what they eat all day?

I think a lot of people don't know what a 'normal' 2,000 calorie a day diet looks like. I know when I'm not watching what I eat I can easily consume 3,000-3,500 a day in fast food and not really feel like I'm overdoing it. I think the calorie counts that are being mandatory everywhere is sort of helping, but denial is certainly the easier option. I think there are a lot of people who recognize they are eating too much, and that's what's making them overweight, they just don't have the desire to do anything about it. I think the deniers are not the majority. Also there are probably some folks who think exercise is the magic bullet. "oh I walked the dog, so I can eat this 1,000 calorie hamburger."

I have a theory there are two kinds of overeaters in the world: bingers and snackers. I am a binger, eat giant meals of huge calories. A lot of the folks in this category know what they are doing is bad for them. But some folks just don't realize how bad, that yeah you just ate a full day's calories in one meal, no joke. Or no, it's not 'normal' to eat out for 14 meals a week, all of them high calorie.

Then there are the snackers. Some people realize they have a problem, 'I just can't stop snacking!' Some people are way in denial. That yes, you ate 10 cookies today, it just didn't seem like that because you kept coming back for one more, and 'nibbled' on cheese while you were cooking, etc etc.

So I think it's easy to be in denial either way. Keeping a food log is a big first step that most people are never going to do. But I've cheated myself with a food log before I began to wonder who I thought I was fooling, myself? Obviously that was more than 1 cup of ice cream, why did I only log it as a cup? Why didn't I take the time to measure it? I might be fooling my brain but I am not fooling my body.

I think this is the problem, obesity hasn't been that much of a problem in the world until relatively recently. People used to know how much to eat visually, but now we're bombarded every day with calls to eat, or adverts as they're better known. It plays havoc with the mind in a world when we're more stressed than ever and the usual response to stress is food. To help with the obesity epidemic food adverts really need to be banned in my opinion.

And yes, I know a few people who come up with some weak justification for eating. Like a 30 minute walk meant it was okay to have a couple of doughnuts. But even on here I've seen someone actually say "It's a good thing I burn 1000 calories from doing housework everyday or I'd put on even more weight". I lose count of how many people claim they're eating well/good/right/healthy without actually saying how much they consume. And other myths such as starvation mode where somehow people gain weight from eating less, pushing that myth really should come with an automatic ban.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I don't think they're lying so much as not understanding how they can still eat what they want and lose weight.

Completely off topic, but we have a guinea pig very similar to the first one in your photo. They're such funny little things.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bizurke51 wrote: »
    I tried explaining this to my friend who told me she wanted to give up sugar to lose weight. I told her forgot about sugar its calories calories calories, but she got mad and wouldn't listen. Why would you listen to someone whose lost 56lb anyway?

Just had this conversation, only the she was a he and the sugar was "carbs".
  • led2012
    led2012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thanks for sharing!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

I think a lot of people don't know what a 'normal' 2,000 calorie a day diet looks like. I know when I'm not watching what I eat I can easily consume 3,000-3,500 a day in fast food and not really feel like I'm overdoing it. I think the calorie counts that are being mandatory everywhere is sort of helping, but denial is certainly the easier option. I think there are a lot of people who recognize they are eating too much, and that's what's making them overweight, they just don't have the desire to do anything about it. I think the deniers are not the majority. Also there are probably some folks who think exercise is the magic bullet. "oh I walked the dog, so I can eat this 1,000 calorie hamburger."

I have a theory there are two kinds of overeaters in the world: bingers and snackers. I am a binger, eat giant meals of huge calories. A lot of the folks in this category know what they are doing is bad for them. But some folks just don't realize how bad, that yeah you just ate a full day's calories in one meal, no joke. Or no, it's not 'normal' to eat out for 14 meals a week, all of them high calorie.

Then there are the snackers. Some people realize they have a problem, 'I just can't stop snacking!' Some people are way in denial. That yes, you ate 10 cookies today, it just didn't seem like that because you kept coming back for one more, and 'nibbled' on cheese while you were cooking, etc etc.

So I think it's easy to be in denial either way. Keeping a food log is a big first step that most people are never going to do. But I've cheated myself with a food log before I began to wonder who I thought I was fooling, myself? Obviously that was more than 1 cup of ice cream, why did I only log it as a cup? Why didn't I take the time to measure it? I might be fooling my brain but I am not fooling my body.

I think this is the problem, obesity hasn't been that much of a problem in the world until relatively recently. People used to know how much to eat visually

I was reading in another thread about a study which showed that people actually aren't eating much more than they did 50 years ago. It's just that we're so much more sedentary than we used to be that our bodies can't use all the energy we're supplying them with. The Gov't has done studies on the overall consumption rate and food production. We're just not as active and we haven't lowered consumption to match.

I wish I remembered which thread that was so I could refer you to it. Pretty sure the studies were linked somewhere in the Nutrition Debate section.

I think it was in the CICO thread in this section that got deleted.

I think it's debatable and we don't really know (and I tend to think we are eating more). There are two ways of tracking consumption, neither great. One about production and sales (that doesn't account for waste, but the question is whether we are wasting lots more today) and the other from personal tracking/recall which has been shown to be quite unreliable. I think the study referenced uses the latter, but one issue with the latter is that the people in the highest weight categories tend to report LOWER consumption than the thinner people, suggesting that there's an unsurprising problem with either honesty in reporting (people get embarrassed or say what they think they should) or simple awareness (which I do think plays into a lot of overeating).

Here's an article that goes into the calorie estimates, among other things: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/upshot/americans-are-finally-eating-less.html?_r=0
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm just giving useful old posts a bump. Don't mind me.