Kindly reply.

Options
Hey guys, I am skinny atm and need to gain around 10 kgs. I want to gain weight in such a way that I get abs too while gaining. Is that possible or do I have to gain first and then focus on my abs?
Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This might do better in the gaining weight/bodybuilding section. You can report the post and ask the mods to move it for you.
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's possible if you eat well and exercise. Your best bet is to take part in strength training to build overall muscle, which will also build your ab muscles. An example of what you can do is a full body scheme 3 times a week with either bodyweight exercises (push-ups, pull up, squats/single leg squats, leg raises, indoor/rock climbing, HIIT/sprints, gymnastics, that type of work) or with compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, bench press, row and pull up, crossfit like workouts or kettlebell exercises) in a gym with a trainer. In addition, find out how much you need to eat to maintain your weight and add 500 kcal to this. If you're still not gaining weight, add another 200-500 kcal until you do. Aim to gain up to 1 kg per month.

In short: just try, it's possible if you eat clean and exercise, for many people strength training combined with eating more works well.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's probably doable. Just eat in a slight caloric surplus (~250 cals) and follow a lifting program with progressive overload.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    Probably not too possible if you don't have abs at your current weight. Focus on eating in a surplus to gain weight. Use a progressive lifting program to build muscle and then when you cut, you may be able to see them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You are likely going to need to gain and then cut to see abs. Follow a progressive lifting routine while you are gaining weight to ensure that you are adding muscle. All the ab exercises in the world won't help if you don't have other muscle to support their growth.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We would all love to have our cake and eat it too, but you can't gain abs while adding weight; because your body will natural increase body fat as well. You get abs after you develop the muscle and cut off the fat you gained. There is a reason you need to cut after a bulk. But if you want to minimize fat gain, do a lean bulk (so 250-500 calories over maintenance).
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You are likely going to need to gain and then cut to see abs. Follow a progressive lifting routine while you are gaining weight to ensure that you are adding muscle. All the ab exercises in the world won't help if you don't have other muscle to support their growth.

This.
  • saurabh26
    saurabh26 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Probably not too possible if you don't have abs at your current weight. Focus on eating in a surplus to gain weight. Use a progressive lifting program to build muscle and then when you cut, you may be able to see them.

I weigh around 140 lbs with a height 5'10. I don't have abs rn. I have gained weight in the past 6 months. I just weighed around 100 lbs when I started. The problem is I can't hit the gym for a month now as I have my exams. Should I continue taking extra 500 calories? Are you sure that won't result in belly fat? If it does, is it okay to gain 2-3 kgs?
  • saurabh26
    Options
    weigh around 140 lbs with a height 5'10. I don't have abs rn. I have gained weight in the past 6 months. I just weighed around 100 lbs when I started. The problem is I can't hit the gym for a month now as I have my exams. Should I continue taking extra 500 calories? Are you sure that won't result in belly fat? If it does, is it okay to gain 2-3 kgs?
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight now for your height so it may not be necessary, but it probably won't hurt to gain another 3 kg either. Perhaps, is it possible to go for a run twice a week for 15 minutes and take 15 min to do a few bodyweight exercises every other day? If you do a circuit of: bodyweight squats, single leg if you're strong, pushups/diamond pushups, leg raises and pull ups, you're pretty much set. E.g. 15 pushups -> 15 squats -> 5 pull ups -> 10 leg raises, repeat 5 times or however many to fill 15 minutes.
  • rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If your doing body weight and some resistance training you,ll gain some of the weight AND build the abs at the same time! As has been previously said you wont need to increase your calorie intake too much. Good Luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    saurabh26 wrote: »

I weigh around 140 lbs with a height 5'10. I don't have abs rn. I have gained weight in the past 6 months. I just weighed around 100 lbs when I started. The problem is I can't hit the gym for a month now as I have my exams. Should I continue taking extra 500 calories? Are you sure that won't result in belly fat? If it does, is it okay to gain 2-3 kgs?

if you can't hit the gym for a month then I would suggest not eating in a surplus as all your gains will be fat
  • saurabh26
    Options
    Xymheia wrote: »
    You are at a healthy weight now for your height so it may not be necessary, but it probably won't hurt to gain another 3 kg either. Perhaps, is it possible to go for a run twice a week for 15 minutes and take 15 min to do a few bodyweight exercises every other day? If you do a circuit of: bodyweight squats, single leg if you're strong, pushups/diamond pushups, leg raises and pull ups, you're pretty much set. E.g. 15 pushups -> 15 squats -> 5 pull ups -> 10 leg raises, repeat 5 times or however many to fill 15 minutes.

Thanks a lot bro
  • saurabh26
    Options
    rlilly697 wrote: »
    If your doing body weight and some resistance training you,ll gain some of the weight AND build the abs at the same time! As has been previously said you wont need to increase your calorie intake too much. Good Luck!

Thanks a lot bro
  • coopergirl15
    coopergirl15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Agree re: lean bulk while lifting or doing calisthenics. Focus on more than your abs...all the core muscles, especially the transverse abdominals, are needed for a nicely defined core. And those muscles will only be visible after you cut. I believe for men abs are only visible at 12% body fat or below, and women start getting ab definition at 22% body fat and below.

You don't need to hit a gym. Load up body weight workout vids on YouTube or use websites like bodybuilding.com that post body weight training circuits. Calisthenics can build muscle just as well as weight training. Plus, working out can help you focus and relieve stress, therefore possibly helping with your mental clarity during your exams. Good luck to you.
  • saurabh26
    Options
    Agree re: lean bulk while lifting or doing calisthenics. Focus on more than your abs...all the core muscles, especially the transverse abdominals, are needed for a nicely defined core. And those muscles will only be visible after you cut. I believe for men abs are only visible at 12% body fat or below, and women start getting ab definition at 22% body fat and below.

You don't need to hit a gym. Load up body weight workout vids on YouTube or use websites like bodybuilding.com that post body weight training circuits. Calisthenics can build muscle just as well as weight training. Plus, working out can help you focus and relieve stress, therefore possibly helping with your mental clarity during your exams. Good luck to you.

Thanks a lot. Also is it okay if I'm taking a weight gainer (BSN true mass) without hitting the gym?
  • landshark28
    landshark28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eat clean foods with 500 calories over ur maintence. Do abs almost every day along with ur normal workouts. Don't eat too much "bad" foods and your body fat will not rise too much
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Eat clean foods with 500 calories over ur maintence. Do abs almost every day along with ur normal workouts. Don't eat too much "bad" foods and your body fat will not rise too much

Bad foods do not cause excess bodyfat but rather it has to do with the size of the surplus.. as well as inadequate training stimulus.

500 over maintenance is fine if OP is male, if OP is female I wouldn't go above 250.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Abs at 7% body fat.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Abs at 7% body fat.

Sub 10 for most males will get good enough for abs.
  • psuLemon
    Options

As @sardelsa stated, the types of food you eat only impacts nutrition, not fat storage. Also, there is no reason to work abs daily. Too much of something can cause recovery issues and limit what is important (compound lifts). And the bold is completely false.