Are people REALLY counting calories here?

Replies

• ILoveGoal
    ILoveGoal Posts: 141 Member
    edited April 2017
    This is something else that can be done with nourishment.. done by animals.. and some cultures do this to! :o

"Kiss Feeding" is a better name.. :*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premastication
  • Timbur_Wolf
    Timbur_Wolf Posts: 116 Member
    I haven't found it difficult to count them, honestly. I typically just plan my meals ahead (which makes it easier in the long run). I'd try meal prepping, maybe start out with cooking enough meals for a few days and see how it works out for you.

That way you know the portions, and all the macros you need for the day. That's what's been working for me. Hope this helped!
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    I only recently found this site and started tracking everything. Maybe I'm weird, but I think it's kind of fun. I work on logging everything the night before, so I can be sure it all fits in the numbers. This makes it easy the next day, when all I have to do is grab the food and run. Since I've started, I haven't eaten out or ordered in once, and I haven't missed it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I just find it crazy hard. How do you all do it? I neeeed to get this 40lbs off me.

I know the biggest negatives in my diet is the daily eating out at fast food places. That combined with my lust for sweets. I like to cook but sticking to my meal plans and counting calories seem pretty impossible.

What do you mean "how do you all do it"? Do you ever read the nutrition labels in the grocery stores? The calories are listed there. And you can look them up online as well.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    ILoveGoal wrote: »
    This is something else that can be done with nourishment.. done by animals.. and some cultures do this to! :o

"Kiss Feeding" is a better name.. :*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premastication

Gross. :sick:
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    Easiest is using the app on the phone (apologies to those if already mentioned) and scan the barcode - do check not everything is always right especially sodium which is only 39% of the salt figure. The tough part is measuring portion size which you soon get used to and can stop weighing.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    I spend more time looking at memes while on the toilet than I do logging food on MFP. Once you've been doing it for a while and your main food choices are in you "recent" and "frequent" tabs, it's easy peasy.

This! Period. I spend an obscene amount of time on social media and watching TV. If I can't log my food daily, I just don't want it bad enough (the weight loss).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2017
    Being overweight is hard.
    Calorie counting is hard (at first).

Pick your "hard".

Logging and calorie counting isn't hard. It just takes a bit of time and can be an annoying, but it's definitely easier than eating at a deficit in the first place, lol.

Calorie counting actually makes eating at a deficit much easier. Really, it's much easier to log my piece of cheesecake than to not eat it in the first place. But at least when I log it, I know how much I can eat the rest of the day without going over (or that I really need to go for a walk instead of watching TV).
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Before you track calories and figure out macros and all that stuff you must make a commitment to yourself to lose the weight. Sometimes it takes doing some soul searching to understand why you want to achieve a specific goal. When I found my reason for wanting to be fit all of a sudden things fell into place. If you don't track what you eat you'll never achieve the goal. You can do this but you have to believe you can
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Before you track calories and figure out macros and all that stuff you must make a commitment to yourself to lose the weight. Sometimes it takes doing some soul searching to understand why you want to achieve a specific goal. When I found my reason for wanting to be fit all of a sudden things fell into place. If you don't track what you eat you'll never achieve the goal. You can do this but you have to believe you can
    Yes! Being honest with yourself and getting out if your own head. If you aren't honest about how you got overweight and feel defeated before you even purchase the food scale then you aren't mentally ready to make the changes needed.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Being overweight is hard.
    Calorie counting is hard (at first).

Pick your "hard".

Logging and calorie counting isn't hard. It just takes a bit of time and can be an annoying, but it's definitely easier than eating at a deficit in the first place, lol.

Calorie counting actually makes eating at a deficit much easier. Really, it's much easier to log my piece of cheesecake than to not eat it in the first place. But at least when I log it, I know how much I can eat the rest of the day without going over (or that I really need to go for a walk instead of watching TV).

I know. I was just echoing OP's excuse and pointed out that being overweight is also hard...
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    i do it on and off.
    At the moment I cant be bothered but Ive got a general understanding of what I'm consuming.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    If you do anything long enough it just becomes a habit. The first 30 days were a bit confusing, but I got used to it. Now, it's just something I do everyday. Takes me no longer than 10 minutes per day, probably less.
    But oh man, the results ARE worth it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I count calories and/or estimate them but I need to log whatever I eat even if it's not exact. Most of the time I don't log for a day because I think I know how much I ate. I'm always surprised, because I'm over, if I go back and log for that day.