Low carb diet

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I was surprised to notice one day reading on mfp that I am have been a low carb eater for over a year now. It started with just trying to make my grams protien per day much higher at initial weight loss, then it grew into incorporating more high fat o cover daily calories. I'm still working out what's best for me.

I think its ok long term. I hope there will be more studies done on how people over 70 do on it regarding fat and fiber.
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I'm on it and will be for life. Pros for me are satiety, calorie deficit that regulates itself, lots of tasty food, and of course my blood sugar is under control. Cons are mainly the inconvenience at times. It is a restrictive way of eating and that can mean being creative in spontaneous situations and being well prepared the rest of the time. It isn't for everyone but many people find it a good way of life and most don't really miss a lot of the carby stuff.

This is true. I'm not Keto, I hover around 100-150g carbs and have done for about a year and I can hand on heart say I don't miss bread, potato or rice. I struggle with pasta and pizza though. I guess I'm Italian at heart.

What's your reason for cutting out those carbs you named? Are they just too high in carbs for your liking?

I can't speak for Lois but for me those things cause a massive blood sugar spike followed by intense cravings for more carbs. 2 slices of Little Caesars pizza can jack my sugar up a good day and half and its a nauseous overall icky feeling. Sorry for the less than technical term. When my sugar finally regulates its like someone lets the air out of a tire and I feel just as flat. And rice? I honestly no longer see the point in rice. Its a sause and gravy holder and you can do that with meat and veggies.

I think we're in the same boat here. I've been noticing an abnormal serge in my appetite after eating those particular carbs (as whole food as they may be). Like I'll eat a plate of rice with something and within 30 minutes I'm back in the kitchen searching for food usually leading to me overeating more often than not. I need to step my vegetable game up massively. Running out of gluten free carbs to eat here.

I take it actual sugar laden foods are a no go zone for you too?
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm not proud of this but I'll put it out there anyway. I have in the past eaten HALF of a LC pizza PLUS breadsticks, then felt a strong craving for ice cream and, yes, I usually gave in. After removing the high carbs I have no cravings for ice cream whatsoever. I do get the occasional craving for chocolate right around TOM but I curb that with chocolate fat bombs or keto chocolate "pudding" (HWC, cocoa powder, sweetener of choice), which I don't eat the rest of the time. I try really hard to stay away from sugary foods most of the time. My kids want to go to Sweet Frog for their birthday so I'll probably have something small there but for 99% of the time, very little sugar or carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok, I'm not proud of this but I'll put it out there anyway. I have in the past eaten HALF of a LC pizza PLUS breadsticks, then felt a strong craving for ice cream and, yes, I usually gave in. After removing the high carbs I have no cravings for ice cream whatsoever. I do get the occasional craving for chocolate right around TOM but I curb that with chocolate fat bombs or keto chocolate "pudding" (HWC, cocoa powder, sweetener of choice), which I don't eat the rest of the time. I try really hard to stay away from sugary foods most of the time. My kids want to go to Sweet Frog for their birthday so I'll probably have something small there but for 99% of the time, very little sugar or carbs.

If it's any consolation, I used to eat blocks of cheese... I actually rarely crave carbs, but I constantly crave steak, guac, cheese, etc...

My perfect day, Korean BBQ or Texas de Brazil; and I am not eating that filler crap... I want all meat!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If it's any consolation, I used to eat blocks of cheese... I actually rarely crave carbs, but I constantly crave steak, guac, cheese, etc...

My perfect day, Korean BBQ or Texas de Brazil; and I am not eating that filler crap... I want all meat!

See, I enjoy steak, cheese, etc but I don't actually crave them and once a normal portion is eaten, I can walk away and not even think of dessert.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    moe_kwt wrote: »
    What do you think about the low carb diet for long term?

For me, not going to happen even if you pay me. For you, who knows! Try it and see. You may feel like you can do it long term, you may feel like you can't, you may do well and go long then at some point decide something else is more preferable. I don't agree that it's a high level commitment. You aren't bound to your dietary choices and you will always have the freedom to abandon any aspect of your diet if you feel there is a more pleasant alternative.

If you mean health-wise, it's not any better or worse than any other type of diet if you know how to get your nutrients.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not my bag...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Since the question was "What do you think":

Notta chance. Without a good reason, there's no way I'm giving up: buttermilk biscuits, fried rice, pancakes, birthday cake, beer(!), crusty white bread, doughnuts, pasta, potatoes, tortillas, breakfast cereal, big baked pretzels, cookies, etc., ad inf. Did I mention beer? No. Way.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    For me it wasn't sustainable long term. It was a great way for me to start my weight loss truth be told, because the quick losses from releasing glycogen and water were highly motivating at that critical stage where I was most likely to "give up" but beyond that, since i have no health reasons to avoid carbs, a balanced approach was more my style for the long haul. I mean either way you're a slave to calories so no reason to complicate it if you dont' have to.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Not for me personally, but diet, outside of medical issues, is mostly a personal preference. Some people love and swear by low carb...I am not one of those people. I like as few limitations to my diet as possible.
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options

See, I enjoy steak, cheese, etc but I don't actually crave them and once a normal portion is eaten, I can walk away and not even think of dessert.

Preach. Love those outlined foods but never crave them or feel the need to overconsume them.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    In this day and age, it's much easier. 10, 20, 30 years ago it was a highly controversial healthy lifestyle and the general culture was not supportive of it.

Unless theirs a cure for diabetes and complications. I'm type 2. I have no choice but to remain low carb. I rather shun off bread, sweets, cereal, than to lose a leg, my eye sight, sexual function, or have some kind of organ disorder.

A person doesn't have to go low carb only for medical reasons. Of all my siblings, there are 7 of us, the youngest has not developed diabetes yet.

He's low carb for health reasons - he's not as strict as I am, but he's taking his health seriously. He doesn't need to be low carb, but he can definitely take steps to reduce the chances of develop diabetes and all the complications that come along with it.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A diet only works if you make it a lifestyle change, aka you can't just change your eating habits and then go back to eating however you want, or not as well, the weight will come back on. I've done the low carb thing, I've done a lot of different diets, and if you're like me and know that low carb cannot be a lifestyle change and something you can stick with forever, then the weight will come right back, and waste your time. You need carbs! They're called carboHYDRATES so they do have you hold onto water... that doesn't mean you aren't losing fat! I eat low(er) carb and keep them generally below 120 a day. Do what is best for YOU but do not go below 50 a day, you cannot maintain that and your brain needs carbs to function!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Daddy78230 wrote: »
    In this day and age, it's much easier. 10, 20, 30 years ago it was a highly controversial healthy lifestyle and the general culture was not supportive of it.

Unless theirs a cure for diabetes and complications. I'm type 2. I have no choice but to remain low carb. I rather shun off bread, sweets, cereal, than to lose a leg, my eye sight, sexual function, or have some kind of organ disorder.

A person doesn't have to go low carb only for medical reasons. Of all my siblings, there are 7 of us, the youngest has not developed diabetes yet.

He's low carb for health reasons - he's not as strict as I am, but he's taking his health seriously. He doesn't need to be low carb, but he can definitely take steps to reduce the chances of develop diabetes and all the complications that come along with it.

absent a medical condition what exactly would making eating a moderate amount of carbs "unhealthy"?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I have eaten shredded parmesan cheese with a spoon. I have to put the string cheese in the back of the fridge like it's cupcakes because I could eat 10 of them at once. I have to stay away from the cheese and crackers at parties because I will embarrass myself. And I have been known to bring a rotisserie chicken home from the store, stand over it at the counter and eat more of it than I manage to shred to store in the fridge for the week. And I only stop myself because I realize I won't have any for the week if I keep eating it!

Meanwhile, I sometimes leave a few fries in the Wendy's carton and think most full size candy bars are too big.

Different strokes :) OP, you need to find a way of eating that keeps you satiated at the right calorie level. For some people that is LCHF, for others like me, not so much. There are plenty of people here who love low carb and have had great success with it, so no harm in trying it out if you're curious. :drinker:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I have eaten shredded parmesan cheese with a spoon. I have to put the string cheese in the back of the fridge like it's cupcakes because I could eat 10 of them at once. I have to stay away from the cheese and crackers at parties because I will embarrass myself. And I have been known to bring a rotisserie chicken home from the store, stand over it at the counter and eat more of it than I manage to shred to store in the fridge for the week. And I only stop myself because I realize I won't have any for the week if I keep eating it!

Meanwhile, I sometimes leave a few fries in the Wendy's carton and think most full size candy bars are too big.

Different strokes :) OP, you need to find a way of eating that keeps you satiated at the right calorie level. For some people that is LCHF, for others like me, not so much. There are plenty of people here who love low carb and have had great success with it, so no harm in trying it out if you're curious. :drinker:

I ate a chunk of a block of cheese I had just bought in the store one day in the car when I got stuck in traffic....