How often do you check the weight scale??

Options
Hey everyone, im soon going to approach 2 weeks of eating healthy and exercising. But I'm scared of checking the scale and being disappointed with the results, should I just check when it has been 1 month? How often do y'all check??

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    I check the weigh scales once day ... second thing in the morning.

As above, weighing every day shows me my normal weight fluctuations. I understand why I go up and down.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    daily, as in every morning after using the bathroom
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I do it every morning, too, and record it in an app so I can see the trend and not get thrown off by all the random fluctuations. (Also helps me figure out what things tend to cause those fluctuations.) I think that gives you a better idea of what's really going on than just weighing once a month or so. I'm now at maintenance and I plan to keep weighing in daily or at least 2-3x/wk to make sure I'm staying on track and the weight doesn't start creeping up again. I'll occasionally weigh in during the day/evening just out of curiosity to see how things change during the day.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Also a daily weigher, so I can see the normal fluctuations (esp. being female since hormonal cycles can affect weight so much) If you feel like that would make you obsessive or something, then don't, weighing weekly or monthly is fine.
  • goolhc
    goolhc Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I try to do it ones a week, every friday
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Weigh every day, but only record once a month
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I always did once a week. Some people do daily. Some do monthly.. its all personal preference.
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing after bathroom. I only record it in mfp on Mondays though
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I'm a weigh daily too.
  • surlydoc
    surlydoc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just started weighing every morning (a few weeks ago) and logging in Happy Scale. Happy scale gives you your running average weight and average rate of weight loss, which is helpful. I used to weigh once a week, but because of normal weight fluctuations had no idea how much I weighed (or if I was losing/gaining). It drove me crazy and made me depressed seeing a 2 pound weight gain in a week (due to normal fluctuations). Now, seeing normal daily fluctuations helps me relax and understand that yes, overall, I am losing, but the type of food, exercise, hydration, bowel movements, hormonal fluctuations etc. can change the number. Seeing an overall trend put my mind at ease.
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I always did once a week. Some people do daily. Some do monthly.. its all personal preference.

I think I will do bi-weekly. So I'll weigh myself in 5 days, which will be my 2 week mark.

I applaud everyone weighing themselves daily, I don't think I can do it. It will definitely disappoint me or keep me thinking about it all the time.

Times like this, I'm happy I have a very old and broken scale that's hidden away and realistically I'm too lazy to find it and weigh myself haha
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Once a week or every other week
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Another every day weigher here. Using a trend app takes away some of the importance of the number, especially when you have enough data to show trends in the right direction.

Eg... Last Thursday I was 65.2kg. This Thursday I was 67 kg. If I weighed on Thursdays only I probably would have cared about the number this week. Having weighed everyday though, I know that these numbers were extremes and most of the week I was 66.something,and the overall trend was decreasing...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Once every week or two.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, im soon going to approach 2 weeks of eating healthy and exercising. But I'm scared of checking the scale and being disappointed with the results, should I just check when it has been 1 month? How often do y'all check??

For me if I check the scale daily using a weight trend app it helps keep me in line food wise. When I start skipping days, I start skipping logging. That is me though. I know people who find it discouraging when natural weight variations happen, since weight loss is not linear. In that case less often would be good. I do warn against excessive expectations. It took a long time to put the fat on, the sooner you settle yourself on realizing that it will take a long time to take it off, the better. I find excessive expectations to be one of the common reasons for giving up. If you have a lot of fat to lose a pound or somewhat more a week is good progress. If you have 20 pounds or less to lose, half a pound a week is good progress.
  • Mward614
    Mward614 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale every morning around the same time (i.e. before breakfast and after using the bathroom). It helps me understand fluctuations and helps keep me on track and focused on my goals.

Some people get discouraged by minor fluctuations and don't like this method, I suggest trying both and deciding which way works best for you- everyday or only once a (week/2 weeks )

Another means of measuring you may consider is body measurements, I take body measurements once a month.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »

I do it weekly. I don't need to see the fluctuations because I know they happen and don't care. I might even take a break for a week or two, especially if something unusual is happening like right now I am on a 5 day course of prednisone which can cause water retention or when I was on my colonoscopy prep.

ETA: I did wait a month when I first started.