How to gain body confidence??

Options
I'm having a real big problem with confidence in my body.
I've lost about 50lb (4stone). I have 4 children, my last birth was 2 years ago. I now weigh 13.6 stone (UK), not sure what that is in pounds. My husband regularly says wow you're looking skinny! It's so obvious how much weight I've lost. Even friends say it. But I'm not satisfied. I never expected to lose my baby belly. And I can tell now that I'll always have loose skin on my thighs. I know they'll be there forever, I've accepted that they'll never be the same as before being a mum. But I feel disgusting still. I want to be happy and confident with my body and my achievements, but I feel obsessed about it now. I want to lose at least 1.5-2 stone more but know the loose skin will look worse I think.
I suppose my main concern is my husband. Although he's very supportive and encouraging, I worry I disgust him and he's too kind to say anything. I just want to not care about my body anymore! How do I get to that point??? I worry about everything else in life, I want this particular worry to go away!!!

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm having a real big problem with confidence in my body.
    I've lost about 50lb (4stone). I have 4 children, my last birth was 2 years ago. I now weigh 13.6 stone (UK), not sure what that is in pounds. My husband regularly says wow you're looking skinny! It's so obvious how much weight I've lost. Even friends say it. But I'm not satisfied. I never expected to lose my baby belly. And I can tell now that I'll always have loose skin on my thighs. I know they'll be there forever, I've accepted that they'll never be the same as before being a mum. But I feel disgusting still. I want to be happy and confident with my body and my achievements, but I feel obsessed about it now. I want to lose at least 1.5-2 stone more but know the loose skin will look worse I think.
    I suppose my main concern is my husband. Although he's very supportive and encouraging, I worry I disgust him and he's too kind to say anything. I just want to not care about my body anymore! How do I get to that point??? I worry about everything else in life, I want this particular worry to go away!!!

" If you do not believe you are awesome, no one else will" a quote from one of my favorite yoga instructor's. Yoga is amazing for toning up and for self-esteem. All levels, All welcome.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Listen to and believe your husband! I find that exercise helps my body image because I can do things at 62 I could never do when younger. Some days I still feel fat (after losing 150 lb) and other days I feel quite good. I just have to turn off the negative voices and listen to the positive ones. I like to look at progress pics and "before" pics because they reinforce how far I've come.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Exercise works for me in preventing those negative thoughts. Cardio for mood improvement in general and strength training for confidence. Sometimes positive self talk works but I think it's a tricky skill to learn. Still working on it.
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    To start, Wow that is a great loss! Be proud of that, you worked hard and you deserve to feel good about it. Secondly, the loose skin will tighten up after awhile if you continue to eat healthy foods and exercise, it will take time though. Finally, your husband should love you for the wonderful, beautiful person you are, scars and all. Ask him for an honest opinion, see what he says, and go from there. It sounds like you are getting into your own head too much. Find some clothes that make you feel amazing and treat yourself to a relaxing day, then get to the gym and work it!
  • lainy1979
    lainy1979 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been too thin. I've been overweight. Now I'm somewhere in between and find it hard to recognise how I'm feeling about my new shape. The only way I've been able to be accepting of it is to try completely new things, stuff that's exclusive to me now that I never did at 8 stone or at 13 stone and its given me a whole heap of brand new confidence! Zumba is great fun, even if you only attend one class per week it makes a difference & won't cost much. I've attended body confidence/burlesque classes and they're amazing, women of all shapes & sizes releasing their inner goddess!! Don't disregard what you've achieved so far losing 4 stone is incredible and your husband is acknowledging that loss. What I would say is that you'll get a greater sense of accomplishment if you start doing this for yourself not for your hubby ☺
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on Weight Watchers 11years ago. Unlike 99% of the people there, I did not stop going to the meetings. I've been to hundreds of WW meetings. Almost all women. I've also participated on WW message boards, I have no idea how many discussions on lose skin I've been in. It's a dangerous problem.

No the skin isn't a problem, can be, but not for most people. The danger is in your head. You've done so well but your brain says "Not good enough!"

Not good enough is the step before Why bother?

A couple of thoughts. Weight loss is about accepting life with a few limits. Few people ever get all that they want, and it has little to do with what they have. For myself, I have plenty of loose skin. I passed up my shot a a six pack. But when I was into it I was the best dressed man at my office.

Go get good clothes that fit. I had to go to a tailor, I had no clue how to dress. When you get comliments, and you will, soak them up.

If you are never happy with how you look naked, sounds like your husband doesn't seem to mind. If he's "just" being kind you are a lucky woman. I'm just an old guy rambling on the internet, but in the long run kindness will take you farther than most things. Its greatly under appreciated.

Agree you need a new screen name. Have fun with your family, take your children to the park and run circles around them. Weight loss is liberation. Best wishes.
  • Lauramumto4
    Lauramumto4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your words and suggestions! I've been having a real think about it the last few days. I'm asking myself who am I doing this for, myself or my husband. Yes I do have confidence issues and low self esteem.
    I don't quite know who I'm doing it for. I think it's not entirely for myself but I do feel great when I've eaten good and seen a lose on the scales. I feel awful when I eat junk. As we all do.

I have changed my username! I did make this account shortly after having a baby! So I was chunky back then! Haha!

Does loose skin really get a bit tighter in time??

And I definitely wouldn't call anyone else disgusting!! I think all women look normal in my eyes, no matter what shape or size they are!!

Damn it, I think I've just realised, I'm doing this for my husband
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Pobody's Nerfect. :D Hood work getting out to the gym and taking steps!

I agree with @88olds and @Gimsteinn1 . You need to be kinder to yourself! Look at all you've done. It's admirable. Loose skin is not that big of a deal, and will reduce a little over time--drink lots of water, use a decent vitamin E enriched lotion, and consider taking a "beauty supplement" (usually marketed as such--has skin, hair and nails beneficial ingredients like collagen, biotin, etc.). It's unlikely it'll ever go away completely, but it's not that big of a deal. Lots of people have it--even extremely attractive people!

Do you have access to someone professional to talk about learning how to work on your self-esteem? Have you considered possible postpartum depression? It's extremely common, even 2 years from last giving birth.

It's so sweet that you're doing this for your husband, but you need to do it for yourself too! Everyone's happier, including your kids and husband, if you stop going through bouts of self-loathing and body mortification.