Obese because of my DAD!

Options

Replies

• N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Holding a grudge is like eating poison and expecting the other person to die.

If you keep blaming your dad, you will do yourself a disservice by not owning all the accountability, imo. Our parents definitely influence our actions in ways we don't even realize, but we shouldn't just be out to prove them wrong. That takes all the fun out of it.

I'm not holding a grudge against him. I have just realised why I was how I was, and decided to get others opinions. I really want to prove him wrong though with a much healthier me
    You don't have to prove anything to everyone but yourself! If they like you, cool..and if they don't, thats cool too. You can wave McDonalds in my face all day, its my choice on what I eat, no one force me to eat it, and no one is to blame for that except yourself. As a trainer I hear some many reasons why ppl say they are overweight, and when I push them hard they want to quit. Being overweight is easy, but being in shape is hard to do and even harder to maintain! Don't give into temptation, set your goals high, and bust your *kitten* to have the body you want!!
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Some people can be toxic in our lives. My mother was like your father. It is good that he is out of the country so you can discover what you are made of. I would suggest if and when he gets back you learn to say "my body and weight are off limits" He will not respect this at first, just repeat it every time he starts...then leave the room if he doesn't stop. You are now responsible for your health, you are also responsible to keep negative people and emotional abuse away from yourself.
  • NatStylz
    NatStylz Posts: 38
    Options
    Holding a grudge is like eating poison and expecting the other person to die.

If you keep blaming your dad, you will do yourself a disservice by not owning all the accountability, imo. Our parents definitely influence our actions in ways we don't even realize, but we shouldn't just be out to prove them wrong. That takes all the fun out of it.

I'm not holding a grudge against him. I have just realised why I was how I was, and decided to get others opinions. I really want to prove him wrong though with a much healthier me
    You don't have to prove anything to everyone but yourself! If they like you, cool..and if they don't, thats cool too. You can wave McDonalds in my face all day, its my choice on what I eat, no one force me to eat it, and no one is to blame for that except yourself. As a trainer I hear some many reasons why ppl say they are overweight, and when I push them hard they want to quit. Being overweight is easy, but being in shape is hard to do and even harder to maintain! Don't give into temptation, set your goals high, and bust your *kitten* to have the body you want!!

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm actually amazed now at my willpower and determination during this journey, it seemed to come from nowhere. I can safely say I never gave into temptation at the start of my weight loss and I don't plan too.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    until then...you live for you! you will do great, and don't let anyone tell you diff!!! go get it...and then tell you pa what for afterwards:happy:
  • chantell7
    chantell7 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My mum first put me on a diet when I was 6 . They continued from there , my weight went up n down like a yo yo .my child hood was pretty crazy and I emotionaly ate through it . I hit my highest weight of 150 when I was 16. =(. I decided I had to loose it , so I did. And I to use to blame my parents , my mum especialy . But as I got older , IV now have a kid of my own , I realise that our parents do ,say ,feed ,treat there children the best way they now how. And there is a point where you have to forgive all the hurt they have caused and take resonaibilty for your own life , and create it the way you want it. Because if you don't deal with the emotional side of your weight problem then you will never truely be free. Buy the book women food and god. It helped me alot
  • NatStylz
    Options
    My mum first put me on a diet when I was 6 . They continued from there , my weight went up n down like a yo yo .my child hood was pretty crazy and I emotionaly ate through it . I hit my highest weight of 150 when I was 16. =(. I decided I had to loose it , so I did. And I to use to blame my parents , my mum especialy . But as I got older , IV now have a kid of my own , I realise that our parents do ,say ,feed ,treat there children the best way they now how. And there is a point where you have to forgive all the hurt they have caused and take resonaibilty for your own life , and create it the way you want it. Because if you don't deal with the emotional side of your weight problem then you will never truely be free. Buy the book women food and god. It helped me alot

6 years old is crazy!! I'm glad you're getting through it and I'm sure I can too. I know I will forgive him but just not now. I may read that book aswell. Thank you
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else have problems with parents and their weight?

A thousand times yes, but with my mom more than my dad. I was always a chubby kid, and my weight yo-yoed quite a bit all throughout my adolescence. I ended up developing some eating disorder issues and struggled with bulimia in high school because of my anxious personality and my mother making me a nervous wreck. When I got to college, I lost 65 pounds in the first 6 months of my freshman year, basically by not eating (seriously, there were times I only ate on weekends). I came home at Thanksgiving with 35 pounds off and my mother said, "Great start!!"

Needless to say, I've gained all of that weight back and more - I managed to keep it off for a few years, but it's back now, plus a few pounds.

The reasons I share this are twofold: 1) If you feel like you have anything close to an eating disorder (this includes compulsive overeating), talking to someone can really help, and 2) I had some heartfelt discussions in the last couple of years with my mom, and it has really helped her (and me) to be less judgmental and more encouraging.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey and in getting things figured out with your dad. You can do it!! And this community is awesomely supportive :)
  • NatStylz
    Options

A thousand times yes, but with my mom more than my dad. I was always a chubby kid, and my weight yo-yoed quite a bit all throughout my adolescence. I ended up developing some eating disorder issues and struggled with bulimia in high school because of my anxious personality and my mother making me a nervous wreck. When I got to college, I lost 65 pounds in the first 6 months of my freshman year, basically by not eating (seriously, there were times I only ate on weekends). I came home at Thanksgiving with 35 pounds off and my mother said, "Great start!!"

Needless to say, I've gained all of that weight back and more - I managed to keep it off for a few years, but it's back now, plus a few pounds.

The reasons I share this are twofold: 1) If you feel like you have anything close to an eating disorder (this includes compulsive overeating), talking to someone can really help, and 2) I had some heartfelt discussions in the last couple of years with my mom, and it has really helped her (and me) to be less judgmental and more encouraging.

Best of luck on your weight loss journey and in getting things figured out with your dad. You can do it!! And this community is awesomely supportive :)

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm keeping on track with my eating habits very well and eating balanced meals, however I do become obsessed with the numbers on the scale. I'm trying not to but I don't want to go back to how I was. I hope your journey goes well
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You say you're not holding a grudge but then you say you'll forgive him one day, just not now... so which is it?

You're young and I realize that today's society likes to play the blame game. You aren't being force fed or chained to a couch so you cannot exercise... so there needs to be some personal responsibility.

I have worked with students that come from abusive households... it isn't acceptable for them to turn into abusers themselves and say "my parents made me do it." Personal responsibility has to come into play and myself, like countless others here, have dealt with the cards we were handed but chose a healthier and more productive path. Live in the past or move forward and I hope you choose the latter. Best of luck.
  • NatStylz
    Options
    You say you're not holding a grudge but then you say you'll forgive him one day, just not now... so which is it?

You're young and I realize that today's society likes to play the blame game. You aren't being force fed or chained to a couch so you cannot exercise... so there needs to be some personal responsibility.

I have worked with students that come from abusive households... it isn't acceptable for them to turn into abusers themselves and say "my parents made me do it." Personal responsibility has to come into play and myself, like countless others here, have dealt with the cards we were handed but chose a healthier and more productive path. Live in the past or move forward and I hope you choose the latter. Best of luck.

One of he reasons is because i haven't seen him or spoken to him in 9 months. I would like to get to my goal first to show him I can do it & then i can find the reasons why. I am now taking responsibility for myself and no one can change that. Thanks for the advice.
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You'll be free when you don't care one way or another what anyone else -- including your parents -- thinks of your appearance. Have you ever heard that difficult people are a gift? God (or karma, however you look at the world) puts challenges in our life to teach us lessons. You've learned a lot. Maybe you should be *thanking* your parents.

Worked for me, anyway. Good luck.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm 17 and I have been struggling with my weight for most of my life. During my early childhood, my family ate very unhealthy, but no one seemed to put on any weight but me. My dad always used to weigh me & my mother objected, however he did it anyway. I used to go up and up the scales & I could see he was disappointed with my increasing weight. He would always make small remarks which caused me to eat more. He never exactly brought home the healthiest food either. After my parents divorced my eating got worse and my weight went up to the highest 175lbs. Luckily I turned my life around and have so far lost 27lbs.

Even when I was losing the weight at the beginning of the journey. I told him I was changing my eating habits and would wave Mcdonalds in my face. He even said "You won't keep it off" and "You're just doing this to find a man"!!

I still have problems though and I obsess over the first sign of me beginning to gain weight.

I hope this inspires others

wow he's mean. lol. no offense to your father though. he probably doesn't understand the pain he's causing by the things hes saying.. and doing. you are a strong woman. and good for you for saying enough is enough.

you can do this.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options

well that is just ridiculous.
    how is a kid supposed to say UM. IM NOT EATING THIS IM GONNA STARVE INSTEAD. kids eat what their parents provide for them. a kid can't drive to the grocery store and buy healthy food..
    I come from a very abusive household. physically mentally emotionally and guess what? i find myself being that way too sometimes. i have anger issues im bipolar i flip **** i get violent. we are a product of our surroundings thats all there is to it.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Congratulations on trying to take control of your eating NOW!

I am 50 years old and have been struggling with my weight my ENTIRE LIFE. I was an overweight teenager and you know what that's like. I was so unhappy with myself and it wasn't until I was in my 40s that I even thought that my OVEREATING was as a result of my childhood. My homelife was very volatile and my father had some big anger and rage issues and so did Mom to a lesser degree.

I learned to EAT until I was in PAIN because if I was in PHYSICAL PAIN, I didn't have to think about the EMOTIONAL PAIN & FEAR I was experiencing at the time~ it was a coping mechanism and so is yours.

I like to read and have read MANY books on the subject of 'OVERCOMING OVEREATING' and I would like to recommend 2 of the best for you: 1) "When Food is Love" by Geneen Roth and 2) "Women, Food and God" also by Geneen Roth.
    Read #1 first and TAKE YOUR TIME with it. I read some pages over and over again. It seemed every single page spoke directly to ME.

You can overcome this~ I am, slowly but surely. I was VERY angry at my parents for YEARS but through these books I have learned that what happened was a LONG time ago and I AM IN CONTROL NOW!!

While you are still not technically an "adult" you can still gain control over your eating and hopefully your father's nasty comments will mean less and less to you!!

The very best of luck to you!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm actually amazed now at my willpower and determination during this journey, it seemed to come from nowhere. I can safely say I never gave into temptation at the start of my weight loss and I don't plan too.

Good for you! Losing weight is a mental battle, but with the right attitude you will succeed! :drinker:
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I can relate to what you're saying here. I think it's hard NOT to want to blame your parents if they didn't set a good example of eating habits. Because as an adult, you're STILL dealing with those same bad habits that your parents demonstrated. It's very hard to separate the past from the present when the same way of thinking persists.

I did not go through something as extreme as being weighed or told I'm going to fail. But both my parents had bad eating habits. My dad would snack multiple times a night, my mom would hide food, both habits that contribute to an unhealthy example. It's also been very clear over the years that my dad thinks less of me as a person for having a weight problem over the years (i.e. Telling me when I was 13, the family will like you more if you do). It took me many, many years to accept that what happened in my upbringing happened and no amount of finger-pointing will change what was. It's the harsh reality, that I'm a grown adult now that has a choice in changing things. Even at 24, I still have some feelings of resentment, but I'm learning to let go, and focus on the present.

When I read what you wrote, I said "Wow, there's a person who has felt the same way I have." Because I have had the same struggles, I didn't see it as you putting 100% on your dad. I saw someone say 'Despite my upbringing, I'm making a change'. If that was someone wallowing in the past, you wouldn't have done what you have already.

The other week, I saw my dad (who knows I've been going to the gym for awhile now). When I got out of the car, other than hi, first thing he said was "You still going to the gym?" Guess since I didn't drop 50 in 4 weeks, he thought I'd given up. Several years ago that would have crushed me and made me give up. Now, I can take a step back and see that he's a person with some faults too and go about my business like before. In time, I think you'll be able to not let it phase you either.
  • zoey4316
    zoey4316 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can say I kind of know how you feel. When I first told my father that I was deciding to lose weight to get healthy and feel better about myself, he could not understand why. He has always been over weight and so I think me attempting to lose weight made him examine his own self more closely. He would tell me things like "But Wes (my amazing boyfriend) loves you just the way you are...and You don't need to deny yourself all of the time." The best way that I have found to loose weight was for me to cut out all of the temptations I had previously given into - taco bell, mcdonalds, sonic etc. I know deep down that if I eat bad food, or have a "cheat day" I will want the next day to be a cheat day also. He could not understand this.

My mother on the other hand was the opposite when I was growing up. She was a great mom and only cared about my health, but she would limit my food intake and allow my brother and sister to eat what ever they wanted. (They both have a different father and didn't get the super obese genes). For example when we would have pancakes my brother and sister would put peanut butter on theirs and my mom would make sure that I got butter instead. I understand why she was doing it....but that didn't make it hurt any less at the time. Now my mother is super supportive of my weight loss and when I go home she always makes sure there is food for me to eat.

I have read some of the advice that people have given you and alot of them are saying that you need to forgive your father and make amends with him....What you need to do, is whatever motivates you to lose the weight. If you want to get to your goal so that you can show your father just how determined you are then go for it. This journey is about you, and being upset about a hurtful comment your father said does not make you a bad person, it only makes you human. Congratulations on your weight loss so far keep up the good work!
  • NatStylz
    Options
    Yeah, his so called tough love has helped me a lot, and has made me more determined to reach my goal
  • NatStylz
    Options
    I can say I kind of know how you feel. When I first told my father that I was deciding to lose weight to get healthy and feel better about myself, he could not understand why. He has always been over weight and so I think me attempting to lose weight made him examine his own self more closely. He would tell me things like "But Wes (my amazing boyfriend) loves you just the way you are...and You don't need to deny yourself all of the time." The best way that I have found to loose weight was for me to cut out all of the temptations I had previously given into - taco bell, mcdonalds, sonic etc. I know deep down that if I eat bad food, or have a "cheat day" I will want the next day to be a cheat day also. He could not understand this.

My mother on the other hand was the opposite when I was growing up. She was a great mom and only cared about my health, but she would limit my food intake and allow my brother and sister to eat what ever they wanted. (They both have a different father and didn't get the super obese genes). For example when we would have pancakes my brother and sister would put peanut butter on theirs and my mom would make sure that I got butter instead. I understand why she was doing it....but that didn't make it hurt any less at the time. Now my mother is super supportive of my weight loss and when I go home she always makes sure there is food for me to eat.

I have read some of the advice that people have given you and alot of them are saying that you need to forgive your father and make amends with him....What you need to do, is whatever motivates you to lose the weight. If you want to get to your goal so that you can show your father just how determined you are then go for it. This journey is about you, and being upset about a hurtful comment your father said does not make you a bad person, it only makes you human. Congratulations on your weight loss so far keep up the good work!

Thank you so much for your advice. I have learnt that this journey is about me and your advice just motivates me even more. His comments did get me down for a bit, but I know I can reach my goal and live a much healthier life. Your theory with the cheat days it true I know I would want another cheat day on top so I try to avoid them altogether.
  • NatStylz
    Options

I can relate to what you're saying here. I think it's hard NOT to want to blame your parents if they didn't set a good example of eating habits. Because as an adult, you're STILL dealing with those same bad habits that your parents demonstrated. It's very hard to separate the past from the present when the same way of thinking persists.

I did not go through something as extreme as being weighed or told I'm going to fail. But both my parents had bad eating habits. My dad would snack multiple times a night, my mom would hide food, both habits that contribute to an unhealthy example. It's also been very clear over the years that my dad thinks less of me as a person for having a weight problem over the years (i.e. Telling me when I was 13, the family will like you more if you do). It took me many, many years to accept that what happened in my upbringing happened and no amount of finger-pointing will change what was. It's the harsh reality, that I'm a grown adult now that has a choice in changing things. Even at 24, I still have some feelings of resentment, but I'm learning to let go, and focus on the present.

When I read what you wrote, I said "Wow, there's a person who has felt the same way I have." Because I have had the same struggles, I didn't see it as you putting 100% on your dad. I saw someone say 'Despite my upbringing, I'm making a change'. If that was someone wallowing in the past, you wouldn't have done what you have already.

The other week, I saw my dad (who knows I've been going to the gym for awhile now). When I got out of the car, other than hi, first thing he said was "You still going to the gym?" Guess since I didn't drop 50 in 4 weeks, he thought I'd given up. Several years ago that would have crushed me and made me give up. Now, I can take a step back and see that he's a person with some faults too and go about my business like before. In time, I think you'll be able to not let it phase you either.

Thanks for sharing your story. As you can see I have put this thread in the 'Success Stories' category, I have found that despite my upbringing I have made a huge change in my life. His comments haven't made me give up, it has made me push even harder to prove him wrong. He himself has some faults and he could have been projecting them onto me, but in a way it has made me stronger. This is a success story and I wanted to share and hopefully inspire others :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!