Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    jayv85 wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    theowlbox wrote: »
    When you're super stressed, it's often not the vest time to make plans. So I say do what you can to take care of yourself and your kids and put it in perspective. It won't stop you from being a pharmacist, but it might make things a little more difficult. Also, it's through experiences like this that you get better at it in the future. A ton of scientific info must be memorized and it's typically a different set of learning tools than you've used elsewhere. At some point you had to have seen that a problem was coming. So next time you will hopefully be better able to adjust quicker to a different set of expectations. But this is what learning looks like for a ton of people, so don't take it as a failure, but a part of learning.

Again its not me its definitely the teacher. I have straight As otherwise and just about student has a D.

Love those classes. When I was getting my BA I took what my school called finite math that was basically a computer program. It was awful and almost every student (including me) walked out with a D in the course. Thankfully I could take the D since I was a history major. I think they may have finally gotten rid of the course. Still killed my gpa though

Yeah I don't think there's another option to get it off my record unless I retake it with her too. That's what bites the most. lol.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I remember thinking college and classes was the end all be all. Man. The stress that comes later in life is so much worse. You're fine my dear.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: I think I miscalculated! It says I have a C! 70.63% woohoo! and I only got a high C on the final so for sure I didn't need an A I must have been so tired I typed the numbers in wrong when calculating what I needed.. lol I needed a 69.5% so I just made it and if it's right I won't need to retake the course! Also if I get an A on my Chem final or a high be I will have a 3.33 even with the C. ^_^

Congratulations
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I remember thinking college and classes was the end all be all. Man. The stress that comes later in life is so much worse. You're fine my dear.

Maybe it depends on what field you go into, but I'm much happier working in my profession than I was in school. Plus she has children with special demands of their own, so it's not as if the OP is a typical traditional college student. She's already living some of those stresses that typically come later in life.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Maybe it depends on what field you go into, but I'm much happier working in my profession than I was in school. Plus she has children with special demands of their own, so it's not as if the OP is a typical traditional college student. She's already living some of those stresses that typically come later in life.

oh word
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yeah as said above I'm 27 with three kids lol two have disabilities. And I also had a severe injury last year Im still trying to work on and lose the weight from. Sooo I got the stress - trust me. haha. But this is a big deal for me because I just want to get a career and make enough money to take care of my kids and their special needs (mainly my 5-year old who has autism and is nonverbal). I just want to get a good education so I can be financially prepared. :) I wont be done with school till Im 32! (By then I should have a Doctorate in Pharmacy if all goes as planned). Thank though! I understand that most college kids are kids. Lol. At least I have As in the rest so I wont look too bad on paper lol
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: I think I miscalculated! It says I have a C! 70.63% woohoo! and I only got a high C on the final so for sure I didn't need an A I must have been so tired I typed the numbers in wrong when calculating what I needed.. lol I needed a 69.5% so I just made it and if it's right I won't need to retake the course! Also if I get an A on my Chem final or a high be I will have a 3.33 even with the C. ^_^

Yay! Wishing you all the best, and I hope your calculations are right. :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Yay! Wishing you all the best, and I hope your calculations are right. :)

Well my blackboard actual final grade says 70.63%! so hopefully I originally calculated wrong lol I keep checking it I checked 2-3 times and it seems I messed up before. 70.63% seems correct. :) and thanks!
  • kwrzesniewski
    kwrzesniewski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't let that take you down. I've failed classes and had to retake them. If it doesn't work out for you this semester you can always redeem yourself! Stay positive and keep working toward your goal.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I remember those kinds of professors. They're a nightmare and can never seem to understand that if the ENTIRE EFFING class is failing, then maybe it's not the class but the teacher's approach? Being tough as professor is one thing (I had one where the common theme was: 'What you're taking Prof R's class on Whitman? You must be a masochist!" - I kept on going back to his classes simply because he was awesome at explaining things and at getting you to think for yourself), being incompetent is another.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like you have a bad teacher, and I'm sorry about that.

Here's how I see it:

You basically have 3 DAYS in order to do the best to polish this turd. You can hang in there for 3 days. After that, pass, no pass, or whatever, IT WILL BE ALL OVER.

Cramming takes concentration, and you can't do that effectively eating crap. You also will need to take exercise study breaks and actually get some sleep, otherwise your brain won't be functioning optimally. Oh, wait--that's stuff that fits nicely in your diet.

In education in the U.S., very rarely do you have only one chance to pass a test, class or whatever. Part of that is by design because all sorts of factors can cause great students to not do well.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the C!

My husband is dealing with an awful professor right now, and add that he thinks the guy has something against him. He worked on a lab with his friend, they basically had the same answers, but his friend go an 89 and my husband got a 57 (and that was for getting 1 thing not completely right). He's got his friends lab paperwork with the grade so if he fails he's going to bring it up to the department because they are pretty much the same thing (I looked and there's no way he go 30 points off for what was marked wrong).
  • bbell1985
    Options

Yeah as said above I'm 27 with three kids lol two have disabilities. And I also had a severe injury last year Im still trying to work on and lose the weight from. Sooo I got the stress - trust me. haha. But this is a big deal for me because I just want to get a career and make enough money to take care of my kids and their special needs (mainly my 5-year old who has autism and is nonverbal). I just want to get a good education so I can be financially prepared. :) I wont be done with school till Im 32! (By then I should have a Doctorate in Pharmacy if all goes as planned). Thank though! I understand that most college kids are kids. Lol. At least I have As in the rest so I wont look too bad on paper lol

Yeah this is in NO WAY a typical college scenario. You rock. I don't know how you do it.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Moving forward, as I think someone else stated, if you have anxiety issues, you may be eligible for certain adjustments during testing/exams, like extra time, a private room, etc.

I was a special needs tutor while in college and I used to help students with a variety of needs. It can really help even the playing field and relieve some of the pressure.

School is about learning the material, not competing with other students, so there is no shame in making adjustments to ensure that everyone understands the material and has an adequate chance to demonstrate their new knowledge.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yeah this is in NO WAY a typical college scenario. You rock. I don't know how you do it.

Thank you! That's kind. I have no idea how I do it to be honest! I'm so drained!!! The other day I was about 5 houses down and across the street from our building at night and all of a sudden I started thinking "where am I?" and felt a lot of anxiety before I snapped back into reality and a few days before I walked almost a mile and didn't remember the distance in between o_o like I was half asleep... I definitely am looking forward to summer break. The weight loss plus my kids in separative schools (my son has therapeutic prek 2 days a week) and 4 in home therapy sessions a week is enough on it's own without school. Plus trying to maintain a healthy romantic relationship at home in the process. & we all have health issues of some sort. Oy!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Thank you! That's kind. I have no idea how I do it to be honest! I'm so drained!!! The other day I was about 5 houses down and across the street from our building at night and all of a sudden I started thinking "where am I?" and felt a lot of anxiety before I snapped back into reality and a few days before I walked almost a mile and didn't remember the distance in between o_o like I was half asleep... I definitely am looking forward to summer break. The weight loss plus my kids in separative schools (my son has therapeutic prek 2 days a week) and 4 in home therapy sessions a week is enough on it's own without school. Plus trying to maintain a healthy romantic relationship at home in the process. Oy!

I've been there, always when I was super stressed and tired at the same time :frowning: Get yourself through to the break and try to rest up!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

I remember those kinds of professors. They're a nightmare and can never seem to understand that if the ENTIRE EFFING class is failing, then maybe it's not the class but the teacher's approach? Being tough as professor is one thing (I had one where the common theme was: 'What you're taking Prof R's class on Whitman? You must be a masochist!" - I kept on going back to his classes simply because he was awesome at explaining things and at getting you to think for yourself), being incompetent is another.

Agree.

I had one like that for Physical Chemistry. Fortunately, just before the final drop date he gave us our first pop quiz. Single question, 15min to complete. "Derive the two-electron probability distribution of helium". Yeah. We hadn't gotten to wave functions or the single electron probability distribution of hydrogen yet. No one got a single point. I went immediately to admissions to drop. Checked later out of curiosity and the prof failed every student. Lost his tenure the next year over some research hijinks, but too late to help the ones that took his classes.

Then on the other hand I had one for Theoretical Math that failed everyone by raw scores because his exams were brutal - but all on things we'd covered and had a chance to get right. It was actually possible to get a negative grade (and many did) because he'd dock extra points for every part that was incorrect and he thought you really had no idea. By which I mean if a question was worth 20 pts and you tried to answer it by bullshitting (or thought you knew and were completely off base), you might actually lose 40 pts. On the other hand, if you left it blank he'd give you 10 pts for knowing what you don't know. It was weird. Celebrating getting a 40 was even more weird. But, it worked and made us work a hell of a lot harder at his class than any other. He curved the grades at the very end so it all worked out.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

"Derive the two-electron probability distribution of helium". Yeah. We hadn't gotten to wave functions or the single electron probability distribution of hydrogen yet.

I understand some of those words. ^_^
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

"Derive the two-electron probability distribution of helium". Yeah. We hadn't gotten to wave functions or the single electron probability distribution of hydrogen yet.

I understand every one of those words. Just not together. In a sentence.