Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

Options

Replies

• roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, things change and people change. But I will not eat lab grown meat - even if it becomes normal.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I might try it a long time from now, after others have been more willing to be guinea pigs and they've proven its safe.
  • KcRavassa
    KcRavassa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? Most everything else we eat is grown in a lab in some way, shape or form.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I might try it a long time from now, after others have been more willing to be guinea pigs and they've proven its safe.

Fear not. If it ever becomes commercially available in my lifetime I will guina pig it for you in a heartbeat. The notion itself excites me. It's like being the first to commercially fly to space or make commercial use of nanobots. It's like stepping into the future.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Fear not. If it ever becomes commercially available in my lifetime I will guina pig it for you in a heartbeat. The notion itself excites me. It's like being the first to commercially fly to space or make commercial use of nanobots. It's like stepping into the future.

Maybe in a generation or so we will all be eating lab-grown meat in our biodome on Mars :)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options

I'm of a more cautious nature so you can have mine. :) I annoy doctors by refusing medications that haven't been used for a decade or more. I used to feel bad for annoying them but now I consider it a fun side effect.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Maybe in a generation or so we will all be eating lab-grown meat in our biodome on Mars :)

I wish...

I'm of a more cautious nature so you can have mine. :) I annoy doctors by refusing medications that haven't been used for a decade or more. I used to feel bad for annoying them but now I consider it a fun side effect.

The reason I mentioned nanobots is because my friend and I were having a conversation about them, how it would be interesting if there was a targeted nanobot antibiotic that would not touch your gut bacteria, and she said she would never try it because the idea of creepy crawlies parading around her body gives her the heebie jeebies. Some people are just cautious like that, so I understand what you are saying.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, I definitely would. The world is facing a global food crisis within our lifetime as the world population continues to grow, farmland is being used for inedible cash crops, decreasing number of farmers, and I support science and innovation that addresses these issues.

Seeing what the taste people can do today with processed food, I imagine the blandness will be addressed with time. Price right now is out of reach for most, but so were cars and TVs for a time. Now most Americans have one or the other (or both).

I consider myself damn lucky to be able to have the luxury to say I would or would not eat something when so many people, in the US and around the world, are starving.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    As long as the cost/taste are there, I'd go for it. The first time I'd be a bit nervous but as long as nothing went wrong, I'd be down.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would totally do it. I'm a sci-fi geek at heart and this would be right up my alley. Bring on the innovation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    roserly wrote: »
    Yes, things change and people change. But I will not eat lab grown meat - even if it becomes normal.
    Remember when they used to have LEADED gas? Then they stopped making it. Your choice then was to use unleaded gas and that was it. So, if their was NOTHING but lab grown meat that was chicken, beef, pork, etc (and you never know) you'd end up being a vegetarian?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options

The reason I mentioned nanobots is because my friend and I were having a conversation about them, how it would be interesting if there was a targeted nanobot antibiotic that would not touch your gut bacteria, and she said she would never try it because the idea of creepy crawlies parading around her body gives her the heebie jeebies. Some people are just cautious like that, so I understand what you are saying.
    Well they are even talking about nanobots to be used for SURGERY in heart, lungs, etc. Pretty exciting times in technology.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    As long as it tastes good and the price is right, I would.
    Most of us have already eaten things that were at least partially created in a lab of some sort.
    At least they started with actual meat, and not some fake substitute. =P
  • roserly
    roserly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    roserly wrote: »
    Remember when they used to have LEADED gas? Then they stopped making it. Your choice then was to use unleaded gas and that was it. So, if their was NOTHING but lab grown meat that was chicken, beef, pork, etc (and you never know) you'd end up being a vegetarian?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Uh yes. Lol. I can make my own decisions and I can stand by them. I doubt however that there would be no meat other than lab meat - but if so, yes I would be vegetarian. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I love eating meat but hate supporting the meat industry. Even if it cost more, as long as it tasted good I'd be perfectly fine paying for the guilt free indulgence once in awhile.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    I'm hoping the future farmer I'm nearly done raising will someday buy a farm and I can invest. Then I could have grass-fed meats from a reliable source without the guilt over factory farming.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping the future farmer I'm nearly done raising will someday buy a farm and I can invest. Then I could have grass-fed meats from a reliable source without the guilt over factory farming.

Oddly enough (just because it is a reasonably uncommon career path these days), my co-worker's son ended up becoming an organic farmer (well, he's still basically training by working at various farms in Washington -- where my grandparents were farmers, so the co-worker knows I am interested). He did this after graduating from Grinnell as a result of some summer job that every had thought was just a fluke thing originally.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If price, taste and texture fit, there's no reason why I wouldn't eat lab grown meat. But then again, I'm an omnivore. Except for bananas and asparagus, there's very little I won't eat or at the very least try.