How many cals is too low?

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ad28517 wrote: »
    I got tired of listening to people, so I went to a doctor. I don't have any health issues, other than being overweight. She put me on 1200 calories/day. If I work out (40 min on level 10 on elliptical usually) I burn roughly 450 calories, but (if I want to) I could go to 1400 on those days.

Note that this is *under* what non-doctors say (1200 net min).

I have about 30 # to lose. Hope that helps!

What kind of a doctor?
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I got tired of listening to people, so I went to a doctor. I don't have any health issues, other than being overweight. She put me on 1200 calories/day. If I work out (40 min on level 10 on elliptical usually) I burn roughly 450 calories, but (if I want to) I could go to 1400 on those days.

So did your doctor say that you could safely be at 750 calories or am I reading this incorrectly?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am sure others have said, but i would say this could depend on your activity level. I have very low, so i dont eat back calories. If you eat 1500 a day, but you burn a 1000 working out you will only net 500 calories, so you would want to eat back some calories. I try not to net less than 1000. If you watch weight loss shows though with people that weigh 600 pounds they reduce them to 1200 calories a day and they don't go into starvation mode. So, again i think it depends on lifestyle. Water intake is also big. I have an open diary and have calories set to 1500 (don't judge too much last weekend though i had the flu ;)) and i have been losing consistently for the 52 days i've been logging.
  • ad28517
    ad28517 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What kind of a doctor?

An MD of Internal Medicine
  • ad28517
    Options

So did your doctor say that you could safely be at 750 calories or am I reading this incorrectly?

1400 - 450 = 950
  • ad28517
    Options
    So 950 x 4 + 1200 x 3 = 7400/week
  • PrincessMel72
    Options

1400 - 450 = 950

But you said this: If I work out (40 min on level 10 on elliptical usually) I burn roughly 450 calories, but (if I want to) I could go to 1400 on those days.

That's assuming you'd want to bump it up to 1400, which is why I asked if the doc said it was ok to be at 750. You didn't say you were at 1400 on your workout days.
  • ad28517
    Options
    Yeah, some days I am not. I am very inconsistent. I am usually a little under but make up for it a bit on weekends. I think I watch my carbs too closely, so they are way under, and if I make up the calories in low carb (usually higher fat) foods, there isn't a lot of room until I hit 1200.

This is an adventure for all of us. I am not giving advice, but sharing what I have been told so that people can make informed decisions. Hope that helps!
  • PrincessMel72
    Options
    I'm usually under my 1200 daily allotment because I know I want a few extras on the weekends. I don't think I've ever gone as low as 750 though, which is another reason I asked about what your doc had said. You're right in that it is an adventure for us all and what works for one may not work for another :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Doctors who know study after study shows people are terrible at accurately logging calories might lowball you.

Doctors who know patients are terrible at compliance might also lowball you.

Doctors who know little about nutrition would also lowball you.

Doctors who are meticulously monitoring a patient's bloodwork and think the risks of being morbidly obese are greater than the risks of rapid weight loss might also give a lower net calorie amount. However, with only 30 pounds to lose, this wouldn't apply to you. I'm thinking of the patients on 'My 600 Pound Life'.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For me "too low" = any goal I can't stick with long enough to reach my goals. Or any goal that make it difficult and or miserable to stay under. Also, too low would be a goal that effects your health in a negative way (hair falling out, insomnia, low blood sugar or blood pressure, etc).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Doctors who know study after study shows people are terrible at accurately logging calories might lowball you.

Doctors who know patients are terrible at compliance might also lowball you.

Doctors who know little about nutrition would also lowball you.

Doctors who are meticulously monitoring a patient's bloodwork and think the risks of being morbidly obese are greater than the risks of rapid weight loss might also give a lower net calorie amount. However, with only 30 pounds to lose, this wouldn't apply to you. I'm thinking of the patients on 'My 600 Pound Life'.

^This.

Eating 1200 calories, working out and netting 800 or less - is not necessary, nor advisable, especially with only 30 lbs to lose.

@ad28517 what was the reason for going to the doctor for assistance in the first place?