Calorie Counting 101

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just giving some bumps tonight to cut through the woo.
  • dianaejennings
    dianaejennings Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Vismal, have seen some of your posts this evening while procrastinating (dishes. I already worked out)... thanks for the time you take to deliver very good information.
  • Cmarilyn95
    Cmarilyn95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting and am thankful for the great info. You pretty much nailed all the questions I have at this time.
  • WilsonAndrewN
    WilsonAndrewN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    (Adding 10% if you think you are under your count) What do you think you are under counting. Take a guess of what you under counted, then add 10% more of this food in weight rather then just adding calories.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    (Adding 10% if you think you are under your count) What do you think you are under counting. Take a guess of what you under counted, then add 10% more of this food in weight rather then just adding calories.
    I don't like this because if you are guessing, and also guessing at macros, adding 10% of the food might lead you to believe you are getting more protein than you really are and you end up being deficient for the day. Adding 10% to plain calories requires you still meet your macronutrient goals. It's not going to be the end of the world either way but IMO it's a better long term strategy.

• diannethegeek
    Options
    Hasn't been bumped in a while.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    N5QPbRH.gif
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks bumping this! Good post. :smiley: Adding 10% to restaurant meals is a good idea.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Needs more bumps this time of year.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    party-hard.gif
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    nahtilly wrote: »
    Does everyone know what the ''net calories'' mean ? is it what your body has to work with?

That's (Calories eaten - calories exercised). If your Net Calories is less than your daily calorie allowance, you can calculate the new 'calories available to eat' as (calorie allowance - net calories). If math isn't your forte, do it vismal's way.
    Even if you're excellent at math I still think it's a bad way to do it because getting an accurate "calories exercised" number is quite difficult.

assuming your nutrition logging is on point, and you have a reasonable period of data (6 weeks or so -- perhaps even more for women) can't you estimate the accuracy of caloric burn by looking at the average actual weight change vs weight change predicted by net calorie deficit to determine which percentage of exercise calories it's reasonable to eat back.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »
    nahtilly wrote: »
    Does everyone know what the ''net calories'' mean ? is it what your body has to work with?

That's (Calories eaten - calories exercised). If your Net Calories is less than your daily calorie allowance, you can calculate the new 'calories available to eat' as (calorie allowance - net calories). If math isn't your forte, do it vismal's way.
    Even if you're excellent at math I still think it's a bad way to do it because getting an accurate "calories exercised" number is quite difficult.

assuming your nutrition logging is on point, and you have a reasonable period of data (6 weeks or so -- perhaps even more for women) can't you estimate the accuracy of caloric burn by looking at the average actual weight change vs weight change predicted by net calorie deficit to determine which percentage of exercise calories it's reasonable to eat back.

You could, but I find that there are FAR too many variables involved in that approach. First off, it requires you to have excellent logging for 6 weeks straight, not an easy thing for most people. You'd also need to have a pretty consistent exercise regimen and lifestyle. Its difficult to assess whether a fitness device or MFP or whatever is overestimating your actual exercise, your bmr, a particular type of exercise, etc. Thermic effect of food is important here as well so you're diet would need to be rather consistent as well.

The biggest caveat to this method is NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis). This all of your daily movement that isn't exercise or BMR related and it can make up between 15 and 50% of your total calories burned each day. Now using a step counter and keeping a consistent number of steps per day/week helps with the variability of this number but things like fidgeting or performing an activity while standing will burn calories but not register on the fitness device. This number is also shown to decrease as dieting is prolonged and body fat decreases.

I still think if you are logging very accurately you really don't need to track calories out. If you're consistently eating 2000 calories and your trended weight over time is not going down, you need to eat less. If you must track something else, track steps. This at least allows you to know if your weight is stalling due to a sharp decrease in overall physical activity. If you normally get 15k steps a day and all of a sudden for whatever reason are only getting 5k, then you can pretty much figure out why you've stalled in weight loss despite maintaining an accurate and fixed intake. IMO it's just the simplest way for most people to do it.

Eat a fixed number of accurately counted calories, monitor weight (trend), keep activity consistent. After doing that for 4-6 weeks ask yourself is weight trending down? If yes, keep going, if no, examine the accuracy of your counting, if inaccuracies exist, remove them, if your count is accurate, reduce intake. That is literally weight loss in a nutshell. It's simple and really only hinges on one variable, how accurate you count.
  • jfr4660
    jfr4660 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for the tips:) . This is just my 3rd day and weighing everything i eat/drink . Ihave 196kc left but if i add fruit or anything else on my protein and sugar levels go well into red :( . Do i have to use the 196kc up or can i leave them . Any tips please
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    tumblr_n8da54GYKp1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    tumblr_ni1q0xf0YA1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

'nother bump.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ni1q0xf0YA1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

'nother bump.

Impressive

/bows
  • criselia95
    criselia95 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a scale, but it’s not digital. Do you recommend digital, or do you think the traditional is fine?
  • fortyloveiwin
    fortyloveiwin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to fitness pal, it is best to eat all of your calories allowed daily? I don't always use the total and wonder if that is causing me to loose slowly? Please help! Thx
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    New to fitness pal, it is best to eat all of your calories allowed daily? I don't always use the total and wonder if that is causing me to loose slowly? Please help! Thx

If you are a woman you should not go any lower than 1200 calories, 1500 calories if you are a man otherwise it will negatively impact your health.

Eating less will never result in losing at a slower pace but exactly the opposite. If your calories in are less than calories out you will lose weight, less calories in results in faster weight loss but you should not aim to lose more than 1% of your body weight in a week.
  • tthickens637
    tthickens637 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bump