!!!!Pasta!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    An acute randomised, single-blind crossover study, aimed to determine the effects of consumption of 48 g RS on appetite compared to energy and available carbohydrate-matched placebo. Twenty young healthy adult males consumed either 48 g RS or the placebo divided equally between two mixed meals on two separate occasions. Effects on appetite were assessed, using an ad libitum test meal and 24-h diet diaries for energy intake, and using visual analogue scales for subjective measures. Changes to postprandial glucose, insulin and C-peptide were also assessed. There was a significantly lower energy intake following the RS supplement compared to the placebo supplement at both the ad libitum test meal (5241 (sem 313) v. 5606 (sem 345) kJ, P = 0·033) and over the 24 h (12 603 (sem 519) v. 13 949 (sem 755) kJ, P = 0·044). However, there was no associated effect on subjective appetite measures. Postprandial plasma glucose concentrations were not significantly different between supplements, but there was a significantly lower postprandial insulin response following the RS supplement (P = 0·029). The corresponding C-peptide concentrations were not significantly different, although the ratio of C-peptide to insulin was higher following the RS supplement compared to placebo (P = 0·059). These results suggest that consumption of 48 g RS, over a 24-h period, may be useful in the management of the metabolic syndrome and appetite. Further studies are required to determine the exact mechanisms.

This is what the link says for people for don't like to click links.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Well fine, let's assume 48 grams of pure resistant starch reduces appetite by 300 calories. Do you have any idea how much resistant starch there is in cooled pasta? It certainly isn't 100%. Even if we assume 25% (it's likely much lower) you would need to consume at least 1000 or so calories in pasta (without the works) to have a 300 calorie reduction in appetite. I mean, I love pasta, but I'm not enough to exclusively live on it.
  • seantnash
    seantnash Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well firstly, a P value of 0.059 is an insignificant result so that's a false statement they've made.

Secondly, it was given as a supplement so isn't representative of real food.

Thirdly, it was only carried out on males.

Fourthly, it was only carried out on "healthy" individuals - therefore those who are not overweight.

Fifthly, the participants had to refrain from activity as much as possible during the investigation.

Sixthly, the participants were told no caffeine, alcohol or strenuous activity for 24 hours before the study.

But yeah, apart from all that, a really well designed study that represents real life so can be applied outside of the laboratory setting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even try to discuss it with him!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I personally don't waste my time trying to convince others. Their opinion isn't my problem. As long as I know what's right and what works for me, I pretty much dismiss them. Not meaning to sound snarky or rude by any means.

This totally. You're just wasting your time trying to convince him he's wrong. Just do what you know is right and don't worry about his beliefs.