Q AND A 'Is it Ok to lose up to 40 lbs in one month?'

Options

Replies

• Mishtia
    Mishtia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Please accept my friend request!
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Mishtia wrote: »
    Thanks for the opinions and answers! I got one more question, when do i have to eat a lot? After workout or before?

Depends on when your workout is and just on how you are. Some people workout in the morning and are able to do an intense workout fasted (without eating first). Other people might need to eat something an hour or two (depending on how heavy the meal) before they workout.

Experiment and see what works best for you. You might even find it varies depending on the type of workout you do.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    That's way too fast, that's like 10 pounds a week. You need to eat at a calorie deficit that's at least 10%. That's more healthy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Im just 149 and now im 146 i just got my hopes high so i asked you guys, your comments are really helpfu and i will take it easy. :)

How tall are you? Are you sure 109lbs is a good goal?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Im just 149 and now im 146 i just got my hopes high so i asked you guys, your comments are really helpfu and i will take it easy. :)

How tall are you? Are you sure 109lbs is a good goal?

She said 160 cm so about 5'3". Yeah, 109 seems light but still in the normal range.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    160 cm and the goal 40 lbs is not exactly what i want, its my highest option to lose so sorry if i didnt really clear that up... And im preparing for something beside from the classes starting.. i can't say it here
    You're a similar height to me, so I'd say you might see a visible difference within 8 lbs, which is much more achievable than 40!
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    160 cm and the goal 40 lbs is not exactly what i want, its my highest option to lose so sorry if i didnt really clear that up... And im preparing for something beside from the classes starting.. i can't say it here
    You're a similar height to me, so I'd say you might see a visible difference within 8 lbs, which is much more achievable than 40!

I'd say this could be even more so if strength workouts are included. (For body recomposition and assuming a slower rate of loss is taken)
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    That's not natural unless you're morbidly obese you shouldn't lose weight like that that fast. A safe amount to lose weekly is usually around 2lbs per week the heavier you are the more that will come off since when you're obese your body gets rid of weight it doesn't need the more you lose the slower it goes. But unless you're like 350+ lbs losing 40 in a month is drastic.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I mean you can if your 600+ pounds. At less than 150, in one month, you're most likely going to lose between 6-10 lbs max healthily.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How much calories should i eat?

My Fitness Pal's minimum recommendation for women is 1200 NET - that means if you add exercise.....you earn more calories. This 1200 will help you meet nutritional guidelines.

How much do you weigh, how tall are you, how old are you? Weight loss isn't one-size-fits-all. Very obese people may be able to lose weight that quickly, because it takes a large(r) number of calories to maintain their size.

But when you are closer to goal, your daily maintenance is smaller. You can't take a large deficit against a small number....it just doesn't work (while trying to be safe & healthy).
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you came here to get info before jumping in and trying to lose 40 pounds in a month, which just is not healthy (and for most people, not possible).

Yes, summer is just around the corner. My advice is: lose weight in a healthy, gradual way, but also don't wait around for your body to be "perfect" before enjoying the sun. The Bathing Suit Police aren't going to swoop in and arrest you if you wear a bikini while at an 'overweight' BMI, lol. Work towards being a healthier you, but in the meantime get out there and have some fun as the "you" that you are right now.

And of course my final piece of advice, don't forget to wear sunscreen. :)
    This!

But if you don't dare wear the bikini this summer, remember that you can buy a one-piece swimsuit with a tummy control panel!

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    From my first post i got people saying that it is "UNHEALTHY" to lose weight up to 40 lbs some say its "Ridiculous" (Might go easy on me because this os my first time) and i wanted to ask to the people who already lose weight,im not starving myself, i have been drinking green tea or sometimes apple cider then i go to gym or if im already done with those things i have a routine of workouts that i do at home before even i started gym and i limit my food and calories, is it natural or unatural or maybe my metabolisim is... Weird? Help me out please.

Its not mathematically possible really. To lose 40 pounds of fat in a month you need a deficit of ~4700 per day. Meaning you'd need to be able to burn 6000-7000, eat 1300-2300. And with a burn that high you might not be able to survive on 1300-2300 without feeling total spent. THen there is the issue that such a large deficit (if it were even possible) would be more than most human bodies could process in terms of fat loss so you'd also lose lean body mass, and likely do damage to your organs.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options

So you want to weight 109? Even if you COULD lose 40 lbs in a month, at your height you'd be way at the bottom of healthy, right at the border of underweight. I need to lose weight (I'm substantially taller than you) but my aim is mid-range. There must be some value to the 40 lb number that I'm missing unless you're competing with someone else your own height. Even at the same height, body type would mean that what might good for her would not be best for you.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions and answers! I got one more question, when do i have to eat a lot? After workout or before?

Are you still hung up on the 40 lb. in a month business? If so, you don't get to eat ever. Sorry.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Yes, summer is just around the corner. My advice is: lose weight in a healthy, gradual way, but also don't wait around for your body to be "perfect" before enjoying the sun. The Bathing Suit Police aren't going to swoop in and arrest you if you wear a bikini while at an 'overweight' BMI, lol.

She's in Asia so her summer is just ending :) I like this advice, though!

You should eat around your workouts based on when you are hungriest, and however helps you feel satisfied during the day. For some people this means eating smaller meals and snacks throughout the day, and other people like to save their calories for one big meal. It's just a matter of personal preference and to help keep you on track. This timing of when you eat in relation to your workout won't make much of a difference to your losing weight, as long as you stay within your calorie goal.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Also, to get near 40lbs lost, you'll have to chop off a limb in that time frame.

Not true. She's young... say she burns 2000calories a day normally. If she works out for 4 hrs a day she could easily burn another 2000 calories (I burned about 1500 per day average when I was a teen when I'd go to the gym) and if she ate 500 calories she'd be losing way too fast.
This discussion has been closed.