Apple Cider Vinegar - Does it really help with Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• MotivatedMom17
    MotivatedMom17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink it in water every night 2 tbsp, but not to lose weight. More so for the other health benefits. It's an antioxidant and helps regulate sugar (: And...I like the taste of vinegar. Here is what I did find though:
    https://draxe.com/apple-cider-vinegar-uses/
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I drink it in water every night 2 tbsp, but not to lose weight. More so for the other health benefits. It's an antioxidant and helps regulate sugar (: And...I like the taste of vinegar. Here is what I did find though:
    https://draxe.com/apple-cider-vinegar-uses/
    So do blueberries, raspberries, etc. but taste better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

But tastes better? She said she likes the taste of vinegar
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    what does it taste like? is it like drinking cider

It is like drinking vinegar

thanks
    oh my goodness why would someone drink something that tastes like vinegar.
    OP dont do it.

You're supposed to mix it with juices and water I guess. I'm looking into drinking it not for any supposed weight-loss benefits, but it's supposed to be great for arthritis. I have osteoarthritis and psoriatic so I'm all for trying natural remedies when I can.
  • CatchMom11
    Options
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    Acv is a great way to combat inflammation

Ya? No. Sorry. I can guarantee is does nothing for inflammation.

I've read from several people that it actually does help with inflammation/arthritis. I've also read the studies that say that it does have benefits that help with inflammation/arthritis.

Are you speaking from personal experience? I'm curious because like I said before, having two types of arthritis, I will try anything that's a natural remedy that could keep from having to use a biologic.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »

thanks
    OP dont do it.

You're supposed to mix it with juices and water I guess. I'm looking into drinking it not for any supposed weight-loss benefits, but it's supposed to be great for arthritis. I have osteoarthritis and psoriatic so I'm all for trying natural remedies when I can.

Seriously, google or do a Pinterest search for good girl moonshine. I actually like the ACV in this way, though I make mine without the sugar of course. ACV is also really good over pan-roasted red cabbage.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

I've read from several people that it actually does help with inflammation/arthritis. I've also read the studies that say that it does have benefits that help with inflammation/arthritis.

Are you speaking from personal experience? I'm curious because like I said before, having two types of arthritis, I will try anything that's a natural remedy that could keep from having to use a biologic.

I'm on a biologic, without it I am a hot mess. Honestly, if my doctor thought ACV has anti-inflammatory properties I would be using it. If this biologic shortens my life, so be it. But I want to live my life pain free. ACV is not magical.

OTOH, try it and let us know.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options

thanks
    OP dont do it.

I found turmeric (with bromelain) more useful for knee pain. (Xrays show some arthritis there.)
  • blessingsfromabove721
    blessingsfromabove721 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to drink it?

If you answered yes to this question than you would know that this drink is absolutely disgusting...i literally almost puked after one big gulp of it. I mean, maybe if you plugged your nose while drinking it you MIGHT be able to stand the taste...but then again..wheres the fun in that?

All in all, it tastes horrific (my opinion) and does literally nothing to side in weight loss.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    You'll have to pry my apple cider vinegar from my cold dead hands.
    u8qwv07gwo80.jpg

Easy!
  • hkjones22
    hkjones22 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @jgreer0109 From my experience, Apple Cider vinegar isn't a tool for weightloss (well unless the bad taste makes you not want to eat!). But I have taken a course where I learned a little bit about WHY apple cider vinegar became so popular.

Real apple cider vinegar (the jar should have floaties) works as a prebiotic like other fermented foods (I saw that some folks are also mentioning fermented foods like kim chi for example which work the same)... essentially food for probiotics which you can get from yogurt, for example.

So while I wouldn't say that it helps with weightloss, it's not a bad general health practice to work into your routine. Just make sure you're using the good stuff :)

Happy dieting everyone!
    Hannah

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • CatchMom11
    Options

I'm on a biologic, without it I am a hot mess. Honestly, if my doctor thought ACV has anti-inflammatory properties I would be using it. If this biologic shortens my life, so be it. But I want to live my life pain free. ACV is not magical.

I'm on a biologic as well, however having had surgery in March, I've been off for about 3 months now. I do agree that if there were something that definitely worked other than my biologic, my Rheumy would've said something by now. However, I also wonder if they get kick backs for prescribing certain things.

I will try it, but I'm not expecting anything magical. ;)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    To all the people talking about the taste:

People who take it daily (and know what they're doing) don't just take a straight shot of vinegar, it's supposed to be mixed with warm water, usually some lemon and honey, so it's like tea (but more sour).

If you're one of the people talking about doing this, please do it like that, and don't take it straight, because that's terrible for your teeth.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I've heard if you drink only Apple Cider Vinegar and nothing else, yeah, you'll lose a lot of weight fast.

Like... so fast.

Sorry, if it has any effect at all it's so minor it's probably not worth considering. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I'm on a biologic as well, however having had surgery in March, I've been off for about 3 months now. I do agree that if there were something that definitely worked other than my biologic, my Rheumy would've said something by now. However, I also wonder if they get kick backs for prescribing certain things.

I will try it, but I'm not expecting anything magical. ;)

I have yet to meet a doctor who would recommend natural remedies.. Natural/holistic etc equals the anti-Christ to regular doctors! Mine wouldn't even prescribe me Melatonin, his words were "It's expensive and does NOT work", but he was happy to give me a script for a strong sleeping tablet, which i declined.

If i had some debilitating condition that required strong medications with horrible or life shortening side effects down the road, i would bite the bullet and try acv again, even though i hate that *kitten* with a passion! Obviously i wouldn't cut the medication cold turkey, but use acv alongside, and hope it would allow me to decrease or possibly stop the medication. If a natural remedy worked, i would choose that a million times over, over a strong pharmaceutical.