Forget BMI

Options
The Body Volume Index BVI has been developed as an alternative to BMI that better measures obesity and predict health outcomes regardless of body composition.

a-simple-and-more-accurate-way-to-determine-whether-your-weight-is-healthy

body volume

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No android version?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    BMI tells me I'm fat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,927 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    BMI works for me! :)

I've been within my normal BMI range almost my entire life ... just stepped out of it very briefly 3 times.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Other than the 10% or so people who are in the overweight/obese range that are truly muscular, I'm pretty sure this new measure and BMI will give directionally similar results.

You don't have to be all that muscular to be obese/overweight as an average height male and have a 39.9 or lower waist.

2 years ago at 255 lbs I had a 39 inch abdominal circumference. I'm 71 inches tall.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Other than the 10% or so people who are in the overweight/obese range that are truly muscular, I'm pretty sure this new measure and BMI will give directionally similar results.

You don't have to be all that muscular to be obese/overweight as an average height male and have a 39.9 or lower waist.

2 years ago at 255 lbs I had a 39 inch abdominal circumference. I'm 71 inches tall.

If that's you in the avatar and it isn't Photoshop, I would say that equals pretty strong/muscular.
  • stanmann571
    Options

If that's you in the avatar and it isn't Photoshop, I would say that equals pretty strong/muscular.

Yes, it's me, no there's no photographic trickery(well almost none... It was more of a sweep to touch my navel and then recovery to 2 hands vs an extended static hold) IF you look closely you can see a little bit of blur on my hand in motion

But that's a party trick, and involves mostly balance... vs strength, although there is certainly a core strength component.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Just look in the mirror and take an honest look at yourself.

Is that app available on Android though? :smiley:

Yes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mmapps.mirror.free&hl=en
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That is interesting; thanks for posting. My husband is one for whom BMI is off. He's been losing weight and does still have a bit more to lose but nothing like BMI would indicate. I also just looked at the measurements we last took for him (he's lost a bit more since then) and waist was 39.75" even though he's now right on the border between "obese" and "overweight" per BMI.

I don't have time to research this more right now, but anyone know for this if waist measurement they're going by is the narrowest point between rib cage and hips, or belly button level? My belly button definitely migrated lower thanks to pregnancy so now that measurement is pretty close to my hip measurement. :/ BMI is 20.1 now, true waist is 28.5" but belly button level "waist" measurement is right around 35".
  • stanmann571
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    That is interesting; thanks for posting. My husband is one for whom BMI is off. He's been losing weight and does still have a bit more to lose but nothing like BMI would indicate. I also just looked at the measurements we last took for him (he's lost a bit more since then) and waist was 39.75" even though he's now right on the border between "obese" and "overweight" per BMI.

I don't have time to research this more right now, but anyone know for this if waist measurement they're going by is the narrowest point between rib cage and hips, or belly button level? My belly button definitely migrated lower thanks to pregnancy so now that measurement is pretty close to my hip measurement. :/ BMI is 20.1 now, true waist is 28.5" but belly button level "waist" measurement is right around 35".

The standard we use in the military is 2 fingers above the crest of the hip bone. A couple important components are standing upright. and using someone else to measure.. A stepstool is helpful so that the observer can ensure the tape is level. Also, for consistency... the measurement should be at the end of a "normal" exhalation... not an exaggerated one... and we normally take 3 measurements...

I'm not sure if the medical community uses a different location
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    BMI tells me I'm fat.
    **kitten* this :lol: