does this make me a jerk? Probably...

Options

Replies

• ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I admit I've been guilty of this :embarassed:

My SIL and I are very close and very good friends. She started losing weight before I did (so I was the copy cat here) and we are very close in both weight lost and current size. We're built a little different, but close. She's rockin' fours now and I'm just getting where some fours fit and am mostly wearing size six. When she cleared sixes on her way down, she gave me all of her size eights and 10s. It was way nice of her, since I really didn't want to waste any money buying clothes I wouldn't wear very long. I was jealous, though!

I feel like we are competing a little, and when I got to size six I was elated to let her know. I didn't send her pics or squeeze into them but was excited to tell her about it. She's at her ideal weight now and I've still got about ten pounds to go!

It's been a real motivator to have the little competition, though, seriously and we are really good spirited about it.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The thing that I was trying to say, but some missed is that my sister in law is NOT trying to lose weight--nor has ever had to. I have lost almost 50 lbs and my whole group of family and friends know that I am working hard at changing my life to a healthier one.

My SIL has always been smaller than me and now Im gaining on her! She didnt take the pic to show me her accomplishment of working out and losing weight. She was simply showing me her size 6. Thats the difference!

Now, in all honesty, if she was trying to lose weight, this would have just pushed me more to beat her! (Not that it hasnt already---so maybe it was motivation!) LOL
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The thing that I was trying to say, but some missed is that my sister in law is NOT trying to lose weight--nor has ever had to. I have lost almost 50 lbs and my whole group of family and friends know that I am working hard at changing my life to a healthier one.

My SIL has always been smaller than me and now Im gaining on her! She didnt take the pic to show me her accomplishment of working out and losing weight. She was simply showing me her size 6. Thats the difference!

Now, in all honesty, if she was trying to lose weight, this would have just pushed me more to beat her! (Not that it hasnt already---so maybe it was motivation!) LOL

Sounds like her insecurities are screaming! Maybe it will also inspire her to get fit! Great job on your accomplishments - (almost) 50 pounds is awesome!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    just because you can "fit" into something doesn't mean you should [justsayin]
    could not have said it better
  • Febes24
    Febes24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No your are not..
    I dont count a size unless i can sit,squat and breath fully in it..
    Im with you
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    A real friend would tell her straight up... "sweetie, those jeans don't fit."
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    take it as motivation and keep up your hard work.
    after all, you are doing this for yourself, to be healthy, embrace a new healthy lifestyle.

props to you for your dedication and your hard work. it's an amazing accompilshment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Lol, I've always wondered why so many women lie about their actual size. There are so many women out there wearing clothes that are are way too small for their bodies. But in honesty, glad you said something. Sometimes the truth is what people need to hear to understand what's really going on.
  • slheflinVA
    slheflinVA Posts: 47 Member
    Options

exactly!
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you're not a jerk!

There was this tiny girl in the store I was at the other day who was the smallest thing EVER and had a muffin top because her jeans were too tight. I mean, she couldn't have been bigger than a size 2 and she looked like she was wearing a "00"! I don't get some people.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    So my SIL started bragging to me about how she fit into a 6 at Kohls (I was stoked about getting an 8 last week). She sent me a pic of herself in them from the dressing room. They were TIGHT and theres no way she could have worn them with any other shirt than the tunic she had on...you could see the muffin top flowing over them. So---am I a jerk that I say that you can only count a size when you can zip them without holding your breath AND wear any shirt in your closet with them?

or maybe its just a rivalry thing...any opinions? (and I think I am usually a pretty nice person, for the record!!!) :grumble:

I don't think you're a jerk, but I wouldn't have said anything either. If it was me and my friend and we were shopping together, I'd say "Sure, you can wear those, but these (holding up the bigger size) look more flattering." Flattering is the key word. Not "better", not "not as skin tight", just flattering. Everyone wants to wear flattering clothing.

I was in the dressing room a few weeks ago, and I texted my best friend saying "Holy crap, I put on, zipped up AND sat down in a size four. There's no way I'd wear them because I'm NOT a four, but at least I put them on!" and I took the 6 to the register. :laugh:
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i went shopping saturday with my bf and tried on a dress, - size 6, it was fitting, tight and flattering and granted my boyfriend wanted me to get it, however, I really wanted to try on the size 8 to see if I felt more comfortable in it, especially since it was a dress that was for work. The store didn't have an 8, so I didn't even buy the 6. I just knew that I wouldn't be comfortable in the 6 even though i'm sure it looked good or okay. I rather have tried an 8 and compared, if I felt more comfortable in the 8, I would have bought it and had it tailored in where it may have needed it (if it did - like in the bust). So this coming weekend, i'll try the store again at a different mall and see if they have an 8. because i really loved the dress. :)

just wanted to share that LOL sorry if it's off topic
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone - fititng into and fitting are not the same. A 6 or 8 fits me, depending on the store. I can fit into a 4...but we won't be buying any of those for a bit.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Tbh I would love to fit into a 6 OR an 8, or even a 10, so kudos to the both of you :) I don't think you are a jerk at all, but don't get worked up about the little things :)
  • Viewparadise
    Options
    No, you are sooo NOT a jerk! Muffin top or jelly belly are not attractive.... and someone did mention infections due to too tight jeans. Sounds gross, but it's another thing your SIL should consider. I don't think anyone mentioned camel toe, but IMO that's WAY worse than muffin top! Ewwwww
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    you are not a jerk at all.. I totally agree with ya
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I was excited the other day when i put on a pair of size 1's
    they fit ok every where but the waist I had a 3" muffin top
    Would i say I wear size 1.... Hell no !! still a loose size 6
    Only tried them on cause my niece insisted, 2 months ago they
    would have never went over my thighs.... so it was a good motivator
    for me.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I'll bite.

You are not being a jerk but you are just stating the obvious. Just because you can squeeze (fat cells mushes about and can squeeze in places where they shouldn't) it does not make it your size. It can lead to back pain, etc. when you wear things that are too tight.

With that said. Be proud of your accomplishments and do not let SIL distract you with useless gander. A size 8 is a great accomplishment for you and it is your accomplishment along. Now, that you know you traveled a stubborn path to get here it is no problem using the size 6 that fits comfortably without the muffin top as your next goal. Go far it and share the pics.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

What she said.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't SAY anything to her, but zipping isn't the same as fitting.

I can zip my old high school jeans. And they hurt. A lot.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!