Supplements yes or no?

Options
abs1970
abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
Curious to know opinions on supplements like BCAA's and Creatine. I don't take either currently but wondering if I should to help me reach my goal of losing body fat & building lean muscle.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more calories if you want to gain muscle...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There is no need for bcaa if you get enough protein in your diet
  • abs1970
    Options
    You need to eat more calories if you want to gain muscle...

We've established that! And I'm making a real effort to increase them

• abs1970
    Options
    There is no need for bcaa if you get enough protein in your diet

Thanks for this - I don't know anything about supplements so this is really helpful :)
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on https://examine.com and look up any supplements you're curious about.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I don't take any supplements (besides some occasional protein powder to hit my macros) .. I am not recomping but I just finished a very successful bulk where I clearly gained significant muscle. So are they necessary? No. Do some people find them helpful.. sure. But I would have calories, macros and training in line first... Supplements would be the very last thing on the hierarchy of importance. Where is that Helms pyramid​...

gb95j2pmto2e.jpg

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    Curious to know opinions on supplements like BCAA's and Creatine. I don't take either currently but wondering if I should to help me reach my goal of losing body fat & building lean muscle.
    I really don't consider BCAA a supplement just like I wouldn't consider protein powder a supplement. I love BCAAs and I take them every day with my lifting workout. It wakes me up and it helps with muscle recovery. I love them and they taste amazing!
  • abs1970
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Spend some time on https://examine.com and look up any supplements you're curious about.

Thanks - great website. Just had a look.
  • abs1970
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't take any supplements (besides some occasional protein powder to hit my macros) .. I am not recomping but I just finished a very successful bulk where I clearly gained significant muscle. So are they necessary? No. Do some people find them helpful.. sure. But I would have calories, macros and training in line first... Supplements would be the very last thing on the hierarchy of importance. Where is that Helms pyramid​...

gb95j2pmto2e.jpg

Thanks for this - think it's telling me exactly what I kinda know.... sort my calories and they won't be necessary!

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Supplements should only be a very small portion of your diet. Making your calorie goals is the most important. I do love my BCAA for help with soreness, and being away at college I don't always get enough protein in due to crappy caf food so it's useful. My protein powder is also very convenient. If possible, when you're curious about a supplement, research it specifically and try to get your hands on a week worth of samples.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Right now I only take BCCA ( I don't consider protein shakes to be supplement). I don't even drink pre-workout. If I wasn't doing 18:6 IF I don't think I would take BCCA's either.
    I have taken creatine in the past. It has helped with strength and muscle growth.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    BCAA'S unnecessary if you have adequate protien intake.

No reason not to take creatine if you have healthy kidneys.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    BCAA'S unnecessary if you have adequate protien intake.

No reason not to take creatine if you have healthy kidneys.

What's adequate protein intake?
  • abs1970
    Options
    Right now I only take BCCA ( I don't consider protein shakes to be supplement). I don't even drink pre-workout. If I wasn't doing 18:6 IF I don't think I would take BCCA's either.
    I have taken creatine in the past. It has helped with strength and muscle growth.

I agree with you about protein shakes not being a supplement - I try to have at least one a day
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    BCAA's are good to take, especially if you're on a "high-this, low-that" kind of diet. Your body needs 20 essential amino acids, but only makes 11 of them naturally, the other 9 you get from food. Creatine is good too, 5g a day, and I think the whole "loading" phase is unnecessary. They're both about the cheapest supplements you can get, and they definitely won't hurt your training.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

I agree with you about protein shakes not being a supplement - I try to have at least one a day

Yep. It's very hard for me to get 160 grs of protein from food alone in 6 hour feeding window.

Creatine sometimes causes a little water weight gain though, keep that in mind if you wanna try it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    BCAA's are good to take, especially if you're on a "high-this, low-that" kind of diet. Your body needs 20 essential amino acids, but only makes 11 of them naturally, the other 9 you get from food. Creatine is good too, 5g a day, and I think the whole "loading" phase is unnecessary. They're both about the cheapest supplements you can get, and they definitely won't hurt your training.

BCAA supplements are composed of three essential amino acids - leucine, isoleucine and valine. All of which are found in any complete protein source in the diet. If you already have adequate dietary protein intake, BCAAs provide no additional advantage.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Examine.com has links to and summaries of the research on various supplements...
  • abs1970
    Options

Yep. It's very hard for me to get 160 grs of protein from food alone in 6 hour feeding window.

Creatine sometimes causes a little water weight gain though, keep that in mind if you wanna try it.

Damn- I don't want anything that'll give me water weight :#
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Damn- I don't want anything that'll give me water weight :#

But it's only water... not fat...

if you're trying to gain muscle you will gain fat and of course scale weight...