first week down but feel like giving up.. is this normal??

Options
My first week is down but I feel exhausted, unmotivated and i feel like giving this whole thing up. Has anyone else felt this way?. Should i take a break or push through and hope my body/mind falls in line? does anyone have any tips to help??
thanking you :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why did you decide to lose weight? Generally I've found that when I'm consistently connected to my motivation (and not just doing something because people think I should), it's relatively easy to stay on track.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Clo_Buffie wrote: »
    My first week is down but I feel exhausted, unmotivated and i feel like giving this whole thing up. Has anyone else felt this way?. Should i take a break or push through and hope my body/mind falls in line? does anyone have any tips to help??

there is literally no way anyone can help you the lack of information you provide.

so a week in and you want to throw in the towel and just be at whatever weight you are now forever?

provide us your stats, your weightloss plan, how you are tracking your food intake, what exercise you are doing. give us something..anything to go on. :)
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Did you set your calorie deficit too low? Are you not eating properly? Working out too hard? If you're doing those things, it can cause you to burn out pretty quickly. Reassess your goals and be sure they're realistic. Don't give up!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Since you're so early in i'd say keep pushing to encourage the mental motivation. 21 days to make a habit!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why did you decide to lose weight? Generally I've found that when I'm consistently connected to my motivation (and not just doing something because people think I should), it's relatively easy to stay on track.

This is really true.

Another consideration is if you are making it harder on yourself than it needs to be. A lot of times people think they need the maximum deficit, need to immediately jump to working out a ton, need a very restrictive diet. You can decide to make some gradual improvements over time, you can cut calories but not to the maximum, you can usually cut calories in ways that won't even be that noticeable. It can be fun and not all that hard.

Having patience with myself and not forcing myself to do things I wasn't yet in the mindset for (or in shape for) was one thing I'm grateful for this time. Rather than overdoing exercise and making myself feel miserable I was so out of shape, for example, I increased walking and did some additional exercise that wasn't too hard (and was kind of fun) 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I gradually increased and focused on finding what I enjoyed. Stuff like that works for the food changes/calories too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you think you have to make 180* whole sale changes to the way you live your life over night...I've never seen anyone succeed with that. You don't just flip a switch and go from this to that...it's an evolutionary process and you have to embrace that process. You don't have to do all of the things at once...and frankly, you shouldn't be exhausted.
  • Clo_Buffie
    Clo_Buffie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks all.. my calorie intake is 1200.. my excersice includes 30 mins of home bike and 10,000 steps which usually equates to around 200 - 300 cal. I am 78 kgs and only 5 foot high lol so i would like to loose 20 kgs by September as i am going on a holiday then..i am hoping to go slow and only loose 1 kg a week...

my motivation is..well..its just to be healthy again.. I feel tired all the time and i am wondering if that is more my body getting used to everything.

Usually my day is as below:

30 mins of bike + shower as i am covered in sweat lol
    breakfast is muesli and green tea

lunch is apple with peanut butter and peanut butter sandwich as i am on the road and i find if i eat to big i end up wanting to sleep more

Dinner is usually meats like small steak, chicken etc Wednesday having a small lasagna and Fridays a small home made nachos these all have veggies included with them.

usually my calories are around 400 each meal

I walk 10,000 steps a day using a garmin viofit and will be increasing this slowly.

i am struggling with the water intake and only drink around 1 litre... i live in a very tropical climate so i need to be drinking close to 3...

thanks for the help.. i appreciate it :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--you don't mention weighing and measuring your food. How do you know that you're eating 1200? You could be eating less and that can make you tired. You need to fuel your workouts. The trick here is to eat as much as possible and still lose weight. If you're not weighing, get a digital food scale and start there. Don't give up yet. Good luck.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I dont have the time to get into it, But keep in mind its not all or nothing. Quitting does no one any good, Even if you fall off the wagon get right back on. Successful dieters will all tell you the stories of their baby steps, Mis- steps and total fails when beginning. Of course its normal. All that matters is your making baby steps in the right direction. Just commit to baby steps forward, Whether that be eat a little less one meal, Walk a little more, Lift a little heavier, Drink a little more water, Sleep a little longer, Add an extra veggie, Smaller dessert portion etc. Baby steps get you there and are way more manageable thn the all or nothing approach. Wouldnt you rather get there, Eventually, Vs getting bigger or further away and one day having to go even further to get to your end goal. 1 step forwards 2 steps back still beats just 2 steps back. Practice your baby steps and you'll get there.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body actually isn't getting enough calories for your size AND your exercise. I am 5'3, 112 pounds (or thereabouts) and I typically eat around 1400 - 1500 calories a day when I exercise (7,000 steps a day) to maintain my weight. If I'm not exercising, I'm at 1350 calories...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you want to give up, then it's not really a priority to you. Or you may just be doing it wrong. How many calories are you consuming per day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you want to give up, then it's not really a priority to you. Or you may just be doing it wrong. How many calories are you consuming per day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

thanks all.. my calorie intake is 1200.. my excersice includes 30 mins of home bike and 10,000 steps which usually equates to around 200 - 300 cal. I am 78 kgs and only 5 foot high lol so i would like to loose 20 kgs by September as i am going on a holiday then..i am hoping to go slow and only loose 1 kg a week...

my motivation is..well..its just to be healthy again.. I feel tired all the time and i am wondering if that is more my body getting used to everything.

Usually my day is as below:

30 mins of bike + shower as i am covered in sweat lol
    breakfast is muesli and green tea

lunch is apple with peanut butter and peanut butter sandwich as i am on the road and i find if i eat to big i end up wanting to sleep more

Dinner is usually meats like small steak, chicken etc Wednesday having a small lasagna and Fridays a small home made nachos these all have veggies included with them.

usually my calories are around 400 each meal

I walk 10,000 steps a day using a garmin viofit and will be increasing this slowly.

i am struggling with the water intake and only drink around 1 litre... i live in a very tropical climate so i need to be drinking close to 3...

thanks for the help.. i appreciate it :)

She says 1200 a day and then she exercises--I don't think it's enough. If she's not weighing and measuring though, it's hard to tell.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If you're making it so tough that you would even consider quitting you should ease up. Or take a day or two to "practice" eating at maintenance, then get back to it.
  • Clo_Buffie
    Clo_Buffie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for your help i appreciate it .. i measure/weigh my food with a electric scales and log everything here and i am eating more than i was before i started. My starting calories is 1200 (set by my fitness pal) and i try to eat half of my exercise cals back buy the end of the day... so i am usually eating around 1300 - 1400 cals..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

1 kg/week is not going slow. It's actually an extremely aggressive goal, and more so when you are on the shorter side, as total TDEE is not so high. The benefit is that losses are more visible quickly when short, so that's a plus!

Exercise seems okay, and the steps is a great idea, but if you are doing that and eating 1200 without eating back anything you might be overdoing it.

Are you enjoying what you eat? Enjoying the exercise? If not, is there a way to make it more fun? You are doing basically what I was when I first started with the biking and walking, and I made the biking fun by watching stuff I wouldn't otherwise get to watch or listening to fun music (or podcasts if you like them).

What is making you feel like you don't want to continue?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    First thing I would suggest is swapping out all that peanut butter for filling leafy greens and a wide array of other vegetables. You can eat 5 cups on spinach for a half tablespoon of nut butter.
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that for once, I do not feel like giving up. I have tried to do Weight Watchers since the beginning of the year, losing and regaining the same 3-4 lbs. Very frustrating. I decided that the program is just too restrictive for me, and have chosen to calorie count only instead. It has been just a few days, but I feel like a HUGE weight has been lifted. I can now eat what I want as long as I stay within my daily calorie allotment. It is such a freeing feeling!! I really do think that counting calories is the way to go. Hang in there!! :)