Do you ever fill out your diary ahead of time?

Options

Replies

• kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    if I know what I'm having then yes I'll go ahead and fill in my diary :) It helps with the planning and it's not like it's set in stone :)
  • wildside79
    wildside79 Posts: 46
    Options
    for my normal monday - friday routine when I pack up all my meals and snacks for the day, yup, I have it all put in ahead of time. Helps me plan for dinner or any little treats that may come up through the day.
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    There is an old saying if you fail to plan then you plan to fail. By tracking ahead of time it is like planning ahead, it is written down so you have planned ahead, it is there so it is easy to follow along. I find I do so much better if I track/plan my day ahead. It takes the guess work out, I know what I need to grab to eat. No excuses for eating too much or not the right thing! I can also see if I am getting the right proportion of carbs, fats and proteins too!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I do!! Its 10:22am here and I logged my breakfast, lunch and afternoon and evening snacks so far.. Waiting to log dinner for a bit so I can have a good plan.. Usually I have it all logged by breakfast.
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    I do it for my exercise and sometimes for my food if I know what I am doing. But most of the time, I have to wait for food because I don't know what I'm having until I eat! :) BTW, how do I look at someone else's diary?
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Im just now filling it out ahead of time as well.......its paying off, it helps me plan for that day

also, I know what I have in the refrigerator, so I plan my meals from that.......again, I used to not plan, now I do and like it

also, I add my exercise all together, Im working out 2 times a day for 3 days because I am now doing yoga and show up 30 mins early, so I add those work out cals and the yoga with my morning work out and really like that as well
    again, its all about having some kind of a plan.........just make a plan AND STICK WITH IT, lol

youre going to do great...........Lloyd
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I do the same thing when I already know what I'm having. Committing the plan to the log reinforces my determination to stick to it!
  • HealthyBabe74
    HealthyBabe74 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been doing too. Like you I find it to be a great way to keep me on track. :wink:
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I prepopulate my diary as much as I can. I find it very helpful so that I don't end up hungry at the end of the day with no calories left.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Every day :smile:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I do it almost every day. I'm really trying to focus not only on calories but on my other nutrients as well. If I log before I eat, I have time to tweak the meal(s) to meet all my nutrient goals. Once I've eaten it, it's kinda too late.

Me too!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I always plan as far ahead as possible.

There is no point logging something after I have eaten it?

Now if I am really craving something I enter it and sometimes just seeing there calories there in black and white is enough to curb the craving LOL!! If I just go ahead and eat something and then enter I have no chance to make a healthier choice / to say no?

To me the single most important thing about MFP is being able to use my diary to plan ....
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am a planner by nature. I filled out all of Monday (today) last night. I start with dinner, my biggest meal that I eat and also has input from my husband, then I work in lunch and breakfast. If I don't plan the night before, I always seem to under- or over-eat.
  • sherrisloan
    sherrisloan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I always do. My problem is when I write everything down I really limit my calorie intake, so today I'm trying to get them all in. I think I'm not seeing the scale more bacause I eat to few calories in a day. Trying to do at least a 1000 today.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i do it sometimes, like if I know I'm heading out for the day, and I know what I'm having for dinner, I'll plug in dinner, and then play around with lunch options to see what I can eat. If I know what I'm eating for lunch, before i go there I'm less likely to eat something stupid. I just walk in and order, not wasting time looking at the menu and getting tempted with higher calorie options.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I usually plan my lunch and snacks after/ during breakfast. I don't take the time to track dinner in advance. Usually when I plan something for dinner, my husband has other ideas. I'd rather not track before since there's the potential of having to delete it all and retrack.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    While I don't usually log the food ahead of time, I've done it mentally many times. This serves as a "budget" so I can plan what I anticipate eating for the next meal or snack, especially if we are going to eat a meal at a restaurant instead of at home.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Yes, it keeps me on track and I don't have to think about food during the day. :)
  • Richard_J
    Richard_J Posts: 1
    Options
    Yep. Everyday. But since I work 12 hour shifts it makes it easier to track my intake. Good luck
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    yep not everyday but if I know what we are having that night yep I log it in in the morning and its really nice to see what I have left for snack choices :) also if we do go out to dinner I can see where my workout and other meals need to be to keep me in range