Your thoughts on medical doctors

Options
Sivadee00
Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
edited May 2017 in Chit-Chat
Be they a GP (general practitioner), psychologist, psychiatrist, surgeon, or dentist...what are your current views, experiences, and what are your expectations of them?

Do you trust them? Like them? Nervous about them? What changes would you like to see happen between doctors and their patients?

Replies

• JukeboxHeroine
    JukeboxHeroine Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I trust my doctor. I chose her because I knew she was a smart doctor who would listen to me. I've met others I did not trust. It varies widely.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of doctors. I don't know why, but I get very nervous. I guess I am afraid of bad news. I have white coat syndrome at the doctors office too. Same thing at the dentist. I do go to the dentist regularly and to the doctor if I have a problem, but I procrastinate about booking annual physicals. I go to the eye doctor, no problem. I trust and like all my doctors, if I didn't I would get a second opinion or find a new one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It depends on the doctor honestly. I haven't really had a GP I loved. I tolerate mine because she's much better than my last 3.

I like my dentist/hygienist though. Liked the old one too. That helps. GYN, I LOVED my old one but I moved so had to find another one. Not too thrilled about the new one, but it is what it is.

I trust them mostly. I kinda roll my eyes at my GP's recommendations of eating 'fat free' everything because of my cholesterol though.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Various doctors spent ten years telling me my ankle hurt because I was fat. I'd actually broken it.

I had a counsellor tell me that I was depressed because I was fat, when I have a family history of major depressive disorder on both sides of my family.

I don't trust doctors, and I avoid them unless I need medication.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I expect mine to look like this

Dr+Dawn+Harper+.jpg
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Doctors are for trauma care. I appreciate them for broken bones, trauma care, etc. They work for me, I'm not there to do what they tell me. I take their advice, weigh it against my research, and decide what is best for me/my family after that. I'm not hesitant to seek a second opinion and I use alternative medicine doctors liberally. There's good doctors out there and bad ones (both medical and natural). I interview extensively. But in general, I usually do the opposite of what medical doctors say to. That has worked pretty well for the last 10+ yrs. I expect it will continue to work. ;)
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    They make way too much money
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

What do you do and how much do you make?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think they are a resource that should be used, but still need to do my own research and ask my own questions. GPs can't know everything, a good GP will actually admit that.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    I am in finance and make close to six figures.
    My brother is a anesthesiologist and makes mid 300k. He does crosswords during surgeries.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options

Not sure I agree with this. Physicians go to school for 8 years, do a minimum of a 3 year residency (more for any specialty) - that's 11 years of training before they even "start". Compared to other professions that require less education, training, and responsibility, I'm not sure that they're overpaid.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    gianna42 wrote: »

Not sure I agree with this. Physicians go to school for 8 years, do a minimum of a 3 year residency (more for any specialty) - that's 11 years of training before they even "start". Compared to other professions that require less education, training, and responsibility, I'm not sure that they're overpaid.

Agree! I think pro athletes are the ones who make way too much money. But this thread is about the docs so.....carry on.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    My brother is a anesthesiologist and makes mid 300k. He does crosswords during surgeries.

You make close to $100,000? That's too much.

How long did you go to school for finance compared to your brother going through medical school?
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

How long did you go to school for finance compared to your brother going through medical school?

I went to college and grad school. Yes my brother went through alot od schooling.

I was joking though, most people get paid for what they know rather than what they do. For example my brother can sit there doing crosswords during surgeries, but he has to know what to do if something goes south. And that's what he gets paid for.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

Yeah but he does crosswords while at work! She just posts on mfp so it's not the same.

Exactly!!
    Not even close!