Space

Options

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    37m7ce60q2od.jpg

The photo you see above shows a couple of interesting celestial sights. For starters, the colorful collection of lights on the right is a galaxy called NGC 7250 which NASA notes is extremely active forming stars and playing host to supernovas. The galaxy is made up of billions of stars, and is located over 45 million light years away, so we’re only seeing a tiny glimpse of what it has to offer.

The ultra-bright star to the left of the galaxy is named TYC 3203-450-1, located in a constellation called Lacerta, which means “The Lizard.” It’s not a particularly notable star and researchers haven’t spent a whole lot of time studying it thus far, but because of its distance from Earth — roughly 1/1,000,000 the distance of the galaxy in the photo — it appears to be a much more dominating force in the sky. NASA even notes that, if the two were photographed at similar distances from our planet, we probably wouldn’t even be able to spot the star.

I love this picture. When I first opened it on my cell phone I visualized a skull, albeit with slanted eye sockets.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    37m7ce60q2od.jpg

The photo you see above shows a couple of interesting celestial sights. For starters, the colorful collection of lights on the right is a galaxy called NGC 7250 which NASA notes is extremely active forming stars and playing host to supernovas. The galaxy is made up of billions of stars, and is located over 45 million light years away, so we’re only seeing a tiny glimpse of what it has to offer.

The ultra-bright star to the left of the galaxy is named TYC 3203-450-1, located in a constellation called Lacerta, which means “The Lizard.” It’s not a particularly notable star and researchers haven’t spent a whole lot of time studying it thus far, but because of its distance from Earth — roughly 1/1,000,000 the distance of the galaxy in the photo — it appears to be a much more dominating force in the sky. NASA even notes that, if the two were photographed at similar distances from our planet, we probably wouldn’t even be able to spot the star.

I love this picture. When I first opened it on my cell phone I visualized a skull, albeit with slanted eye sockets.

Funny you should say that. You aren't the only one. "Harry Potter" fans think the Dark Mark appears in this picture from space.

c87rx8qqrzqo.jpg

• cee134
    Options
    Lake Poopo, Bolivia

qrkblixipf8b.jpg

In the high plains of the Andes in Bolivia, Lake Poopo has virtually vanished, as shown in this image from NASA Terra spacecraft. Once covering over 3,000 square kilometers, the lake essentially dried up in 2015.

What led to Lake Poopo's demise? Water diversions upstream, weather extremes and recurrent droughts are thought to blame.
  • cee134
    Options
    6a2n9ghpe234.jpg

(July 1997) --- The southern end of Baja California and part of the Gulf of Cortez are visible in this nadir view photographed with an electronic still camera aboard the Space Shuttle Columbia. Cabo San Lucas is cearly visible at land's end.
  • cee134
    Options
    4x7r5ug0ha68.jpg

(July 1997) --- Several islands in the Canary chain and the cloud formations that are generally associated with this chain.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    tub807x1hsen.gif
  • cee134
    Options
    Colorful Equatorial Gullies in Krupac Crater

bx0fd6icczht.jpg

Although large gullies (ravines) are concentrated at higher latitudes, there are gullies on steep slopes in equatorial regions, as seen in this image captured by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

The colors of the gully deposits match the colors of the eroded source materials. Krupac is a relatively young impact crater, but exposes ancient bedrock. Krupac Crater also hosts some of the most impressive recurring slope lineae (RSL) on equatorial Mars outside of Valles Marineris.
  • cee134
    Options
    nyazurwd5g2v.jpg

(April 22, 2017) --- The Cygnus resupply ship from Orbital ATK is remotely guided to its port on the Unity module by ground controllers using the Canadarm2 robotic arm.
  • cee134
    Options
    The first planets beyond our solar system were discovered in 1992, halfway between “Return of the Jedi” and “The Phantom Menace.” Since then, 1284 exoplanets have been added to the list. And if that figure doesn’t wow you, observations by NASA’s Kepler space telescope suggest there are billions of habitable planets in our Milky Way galaxy.

http://www.space.com/32847-nasa-kepler-1284-exoplanets-find-in-pictures.html

qwiwr4cxpnwf.jpg

• cee134
    Options
    55rzk3q1dqj3.jpg

This illustration shows a star behind a shattered comet.

Observations of the star KIC 8462852 by NASA's Kepler and Spitzer space telescopes suggest that its unusual light signals are likely from dusty comet fragments, which blocked the light of the star as they passed in front of it in 2011 and 2013.

The comets are thought to be traveling around the star in a very long, eccentric orbit.
  • cee134
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Printing bricks from moondust using the sun's heat

q5rgdxgnc5e8.jpg

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-bricks-moondust-sun.html
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    :)
    zf72u5ipat0l.gif
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    nbjp9cey63n0.gif
  • cee134
    Options
    Panorama with Active Linear Dune in Gale Crater, Mars

ppaeo4q0ke2n.jpg

This 360-degree mosaic from the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover looks out over a portion of the Bagnold Dunes, which stretch for several miles.

From early February to early April 2017, the rover examined four sites near linear dunes for comparison with what it found in late 2015 and early 2016 during its investigation of crescent-shaped dunes. The dark, rippled surface of a linear dune is visible at the center of the view and receding into the distance to the left. The bedrock of the Murray formation, made from sediments deposited in lakes billions of years ago, is in the foreground, along with some components of the rover.

The location, called "Ogunquit Beach," is on the northwestern flank of lower Mount Sharp. Northwest is at both ends of this full-circle panorama; southeast is at the center, where a higher portion of Mount Sharp dominates the horizon.

Among the questions this Martian dune campaign is addressing is how winds shape the dunes into different patterns. Others include whether Martian winds sort grains of sand in ways that affect the distribution of mineral compositions, which also would have implications for studies of Martian sandstones.

The 115 individual images that were combined into this mosaic were acquired by the Mastcam's left-eye camera on March 24 and March 25, 2017, (PST) during the 1,647th Martian day, or sol, of Curiosity's work on Mars.

This mosaic is white-balanced so that the colors of the colors of the rock and sand materials resemble how they would appear under daytime lighting conditions on Earth.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy

Even this Trekie scored well! 7 out of 10 even though I guessed at a few of them.
  • MichellePatte92
    MichellePatte92 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    e6s35nvokjrp.png

Simple enough, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and study astrophysics, lol.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    e6s35nvokjrp.png

Simple enough, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and study astrophysics, lol.

Well hello there!!