Space

Options

Replies

• MichellePatte92
    MichellePatte92 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    e6s35nvokjrp.png

Simple enough, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and study astrophysics, lol.

Well hello there!!

Hello!
    e6s35nvokjrp.png

Simple enough, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan and study astrophysics, lol.

Cheater :tongue: but that's awesome!! I wish I had studied astrophysics sometimes

Even if you don't go to school for it, there are plenty of awesome resources on the Internet for those interested! I took on a bit too much in school, personally. I majored in physics and biochemistry at the same time, so now that it's time for graduate school, I'm getting killed by the workload, lol.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Yesterday saw the approval of the increased budget for space - almost $20 billion total, which is an increase over $680 million. That includes an increase of $175 million for space science to $5.75 billion. This is all based on excellent work from few cross-party Congressmen, despise Trumps cabinet plans to slash all kinds of funding. There were still minor cuts to some programs, but this is awesome overall for NASA and related science programs.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I had this interesting revelation/though about planetary exploration yesterday when I was on a space forum I frequent. I was wondering, and we discussed how drones will be used for planetary observations. Maybe launched off rovers, or ???? Atmospheric conditions will dictate the ability to use them, but I see this becoming and tool in the next missions plans.

Anyway....
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    On a side note, I had this interesting revelation/though about planetary exploration yesterday when I was on a space forum I frequent. I was wondering, and we discussed how drones will be used for planetary observations. Maybe launched off rovers, or ???? Atmospheric conditions will dictate the ability to use them, but I see this becoming and tool in the next missions plans.

Anyway....

Check this out...

https://www.ted.com/talks/joel_levine
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    My phone keeps recommending this to me, video from Ap 22, be forewarned the music is loud

Aurora Australis + Meteor Shower + Lightning Sprites

Another reason why Australia, New Zealand and Antarctica are in my top travel destinations
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    8jp45lj301jp.jpg

Hubble Captures Volcanic Eruption Plume From Io.

Io is the innermost of the four Galilean moons of the planet Jupiter. It is the fourth-largest moon, has the highest density of all the moons, and has the least amount of water of any known astronomical object in the Solar System.
  • cee134
    Options
    0rfe6xxzf3t5.jpg

The Soyuz MS-03 crew ship (foreground) and the Progress 66 cargo craft are pictured as the International Space Station orbits about 250 miles above Earth.
  • cee134
    Options
    afl3p92p198i.jpg

Saturn hexagonal polar jet stream is the shining feature of almost every view of the north polar region of Saturn. The region, in shadow for the first part of NASA's Cassini mission, now enjoys full sunlight, which enables Cassini scientists to directly image it in reflected light.

Although the sunlight falling on the north pole of Saturn is enough to allow us to image and study the region, it does not provide much warmth. In addition to being low in the sky (just like summer at Earth's poles), the sun is nearly ten times as distant from Saturn as from Earth. This results in the sunlight being only about 1 percent as intense as at our planet. This view looks toward Saturn from about 31 degrees above the ring plane.

The image was taken with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Jan. 22, 2017 using a spectral filter which preferentially admits wavelengths of near-infrared light centered at 939 nanometers. The view was obtained at a distance of approximately 560,000 miles (900,000 kilometers) from Saturn.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Ever watch the show "What on Earth?" on the Discovery Channel? Such cool and funny stuff you can see from satellites that monitor our world.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    8jp45lj301jp.jpg

Hubble Captures Volcanic Eruption Plume From Io.

Io is the innermost of the four Galilean moons of the planet Jupiter. It is the fourth-largest moon, has the highest density of all the moons, and has the least amount of water of any known astronomical object in the Solar System.
    Lol could you imagine the reactions of water weight gain from members on here? :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cee134
    Options
    Crab Nebula from Five Observatories

vjf44snlo3ye.jpg

In the summer of the year 1054 AD, Chinese astronomers saw a new "guest star," that appeared six times brighter than Venus. So bright in fact, it could be seen during the daytime for several months. This "guest star" was forgotten about until 700 years later with the advent of telescopes.

Astronomers saw a tentacle-like nebula in the place of the vanished star and called it the Crab Nebula. Today we know it as the expanding gaseous remnant from a star that self-detonated as a supernova, briefly shining as brightly as 400 million suns.

The explosion took place 6,500 light-years away. If the blast had instead happened 50 light-years away it would have irradiated Earth, wiping out most life forms. In the late 1960s astronomers discovered the crushed heart of the doomed star, an ultra-dense neutron star that is a dynamo of intense magnetic field and radiation energizing the nebula. Astronomers therefore need to study the Crab Nebula across a broad range of electromagnetic radiation, from X-rays to radio waves.

This image combines data from five different telescopes: the VLA (radio) in red; Spitzer Space Telescope (infrared) in yellow; Hubble Space Telescope (visible) in green; XMM-Newton (ultraviolet) in blue; and Chandra X-ray Observatory (X-ray) in purple.
  • cee134
    Options
    Bleriot Propeller Close-up

q3oh2b3k3jk8.jpg

This view from NASA's Cassini spacecraft shows Cassini's best image of the propeller feature known informally as Bleriot. The propeller is named after Louis Bleriot, the French engineer and aviator who in 1909 was the first person to fly across the English Channel.

This is the third and final propeller to be targeted for a close flyby observation during Cassini's ring-grazing orbits (the period from Nov. 2016 to April 2017 when Cassini's orbit passed just outside the main rings). Because propellers are seen in the outermost parts of the main rings, the ring-grazing orbits provided Cassini's best opportunity to see them up close.

Many small, bright specks and linear, scratch-like artifacts are visible in the image. These artifacts are due to cosmic rays and particles of radiation near the planet striking the camera detector during the exposure. Bleriot is the largest of the propellers in Saturn's rings. The wavy features embedded in the propeller structure indicate that its central moonlet is some 60 percent wider than that of Santos-Dumont, which means the Bleriot moonlet is about four times more massive. Cassini scientists have been tracking the orbit of this object for the past decade, tracing the effect that the ring has upon it. Because it is the biggest propeller, it is more easily seen in lower-resolution images than other propellers, and thus it can be spotted in the most images by far.

Here, as Cassini moved in close to the rings as part of its ring-grazing orbits, it was able to obtain this extreme close-up view of the propeller, which enables researchers to examine its effects on the ring as never before. These views, and others like them, will inform models and studies in new ways going forward. This image was taken on the unilluminated side of the rings, where sunlight filters through the backlit ring. Like a frosted window, Saturn's rings look different depending on whether they are seen fully sunlit or backlit. On the lit side, the rings look darker where there is less material to reflect sunlight. On the unlit side, some regions look darker because there is less material, but other regions look dark because there is so much material that the ring becomes opaque.

Most dramatically in this image, a dark band cuts deeply through the middle of Bleriot's propeller. It is much more prominent than the similar dark band in the unlit-side image of the Santos-Dumont propeller, indicating that Bleriot stirs up the ring particles to much higher densities than does Santos-Dumont. The dark bands are regions where the density is so high that the ring becomes opaque to the sunlight filtering through the rings.

As in Cassini's other propeller close-up images, the central moonlet itself seems to be obscured by the stirred-up ring material around it, so that it cannot be directly seen. It would be about three pixels across, and lies at the center of the propeller structure.

The image was taken using the Cassini spacecraft's narrow-angle camera on April 12.
  • cee134
    Options
    xwqo6xi11e90.jpg

Most of the oldest terrains on Mars have eroded into branching valleys, as seen here in by NASA's Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter, much like many land regions of Earth are eroded by rain and snowmelt runoff. This is the primary evidence for major climate change on Mars billions of years ago.

How the climate of Mars could have supported a warmer and wetter environment has been the subject of scientific debates for 40 years.

A full-resolution enhanced color closeup reveals details in the bedrock and dunes on the valley floor (upper left). The bedrock of ancient Mars has been hardened and cemented by groundwater.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Crab Nebula from Five Observatories

vjf44snlo3ye.jpg

In the summer of the year 1054 AD, Chinese astronomers saw a new "guest star," that appeared six times brighter than Venus. So bright in fact, it could be seen during the daytime for several months. This "guest star" was forgotten about until 700 years later with the advent of telescopes.

Astronomers saw a tentacle-like nebula in the place of the vanished star and called it the Crab Nebula. Today we know it as the expanding gaseous remnant from a star that self-detonated as a supernova, briefly shining as brightly as 400 million suns.

The explosion took place 6,500 light-years away. If the blast had instead happened 50 light-years away it would have irradiated Earth, wiping out most life forms. In the late 1960s astronomers discovered the crushed heart of the doomed star, an ultra-dense neutron star that is a dynamo of intense magnetic field and radiation energizing the nebula. Astronomers therefore need to study the Crab Nebula across a broad range of electromagnetic radiation, from X-rays to radio waves.

This image combines data from five different telescopes: the VLA (radio) in red; Spitzer Space Telescope (infrared) in yellow; Hubble Space Telescope (visible) in green; XMM-Newton (ultraviolet) in blue; and Chandra X-ray Observatory (X-ray) in purple.

That's pretty.
  • cee134
    Options
    International Space Station (ISS)
    himyqvora787.jpg
    rjo6a1r1tuif.jpg

The International Space Station (ISS) is an unparalleled international scientific and technological cooperative venture that will usher in a new era of human space exploration and research and provide benefits to people on Earth.

On-Orbit assembly began on November 20, 1998, with the launch of the first ISS component, Zarya, on a Russian Proton rocket. The Space Shuttle followed on December 4, 1998, carrying the U.S.-built Unity cornecting Module.

Sixteen nations are participating in the ISS program: the United States, Canada, Japan, Russia, Brazil, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. The ISS will include six laboratories and be four times larger and more capable than any previous space station. The United States provides two laboratories (United States Laboratory and Centrifuge Accommodation Module) and a habitation module. There will be two Russian research modules, one Japanese laboratory, referred to as the Japanese Experiment Module (JEM), and one European Space Agency (ESA) laboratory called the Columbus Orbital Facility (COF).

The station's internal volume will be roughly equivalent to the passenger cabin volume of two 747 jets. Over five years, a total of more than 40 space flights by at least three different vehicles - the Space Shuttle, the Russian Proton Rocket, and the Russian Soyuz rocket - will bring together more than 100 different station components and the ISS crew. Astronauts will perform many spacewalks and use new robotics and other technologies to assemble ISS components in space.
  • cee134
    Options
    u3t9vu5k2k2p.jpg

Aboard the International Space Station (ISS), the Russian Lada greenhouse provides home to an experiment that investigates plant development and genetics. Space grown peas have dried and "gone to seed."

The crew of the ISS will soon harvest the seeds. Eventually some will be replanted onboard the ISS, and some will be returned to Earth for further study.
  • cee134
    Options
    Russia's Sarychev Volcano, on Matua Island in the Kuril Islands, erupting on 12 June 2009, as seen from the International Space Station.

cv57kzki2ngm.jpg
  • cee134
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Putting Martian Tribulation Behind

kaedot93dske.jpg

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity worked for 30 months on a raised segment of Endeavour Crater's rim called "Cape Tribulation" until departing that segment in mid-April 2017, southbound toward a new destination.

This view looks back at the southern end of Cape Tribulation from about two football fields' distance away. The component images were taken by the rover's Panoramic Camera (Pancam) on April 21, during the 4,707th Martian day, or sol, of Opportunity's mission on Mars.

Wheel tracks can be traced back to see the rover's route as it descended and departed Cape Tribulation. For scale, the distance between the two parallel tracks is about 3.3 feet (1 meter). The rover drove from the foot of Cape Tribulation to the head of "Perseverance Valley" in seven drives totaling about one-fifth of a mile (one-third of a kilometer).

The elevation difference between the highest point visible in this scene and the rover's location when the images were taken is about 180 feet (55 meters). This view looks northward.

It merges exposures taken through three of the Pancam's color filters.
  • cee134
    Options
    From 'Tribulation' to 'Perseverance' on Mars

ztkgadce7yiu.jpg

This graphic shows the route that NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity drove in its final approach to 'Perseverance Valley' on the western rim of Endeavour Crater.

The map covers an area about four-tenths of a mile (two-thirds of a kilometer) wide, with the interior of the crater on the right.

Opportunity entered this mapped area from the north along the gold traverse line on March 21, 2017, approaching the southern tip of the "Cape Tribulation" segment of Endeavour's rim. It reached the top of "Perseverance Valley" with a drive on Sol 4720 (the 4,720th Martian day) of the mission, on May 4, 2017.