Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Options

Replies

• crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    mskimee wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    IMO, until the US healthcare system isn't a FOR PROFIT venture, people will end up spending their retirement income and savings on it. See how much it costs to get hospitalized or how much medication costs for people who need it. It's pretty astounding and outrageous.
    We could pay for ALL AMERICANS healthcare, it's just that our government chooses to spend more of taxes towards the military might instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dd was hospitalized a couple weeks ago and so far we have a $7,000 hospital bill pending. That will probably be for the ER (which in the past has run us around $1,000), and then most likely her one night stay, (since the claim is pending it doesn't have the breakdown available yet for what services it's for).

I have nothing to add, but I'm not in the US so i'm curious. What if you didn't have the ability to pay the bill for the hospital? Or if you had no insurance? Surly a hospital would still give a critically ill person the same service? I mean, no parent would ever be told "we can save your child as long as you can pay X amount..."

right??

The hospital offers 0% interest payment plans, starting at a $20 a month payment. Also, if you qualify there's assistance programs as well.

Wow, at $20 a month and 0% interest, a $20K ER visit would only take some people with limited incomes the rest of their life to pay off. That's a lifetime of medical debt. Sounds fun...If you're young enough, you could be celebrating your 80 year anniversary of writing out that monthly check to the hospital.

Ugh...it would have taken 10 years to pay off my husband's over-priced tetanus shot and stitches at that rate! (He was accidentally cut by another employee at work and his boss took him to the ER. Urgent care wouldn't take the paperwork for some unknown reason. Work paid for it, thank goodness...)

I think this is probably why the number one reason for bankruptcy in the United States is medical debt. I mean even if you do have insurance, the costs are crazy high, and if there's an enormous deductible, is it true that you could be looking at paying upwards of $10K in medical bills out of pocket before the insurance even kicks in and starts paying? Anybody here with experience with high deductible insurance who can answer this? I'm curious.

I guess I look at it differently-$20 a month is eating out one time, a couple coffee runs, a small portion of a new outfit etc-but instead it's going towards paying for something much more important. Maybe because I'm so close to the incident yet, but I'll gladly pay for the services my dd received because I know what it did for her. When you have a neurosurgeon come into your triage room and tell you that your kid has a skull fracture, your whole world stops for a moment-paying for the professionals/equipment to help us get through that is well worth $20 a month payments, or eating out one less time a month (assuming we go the payment route, which we're still waiting to see the final bill before deciding).

Our plan is considered high deductible (it's a high deductible HSA plan)-it's $3,000 oop before any insurance kicks in, then it goes to 20/80 up to around $7,500, and then insurance takes over 100%. So annually we could have $7,500 oop for medical expenses, not including dental and vision, which is separate. We usually hit that every 2-3 years. Some years we do payment plans, some years we pay for all of it oop right away, just depends on what else is going on.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    IMO, until the US healthcare system isn't a FOR PROFIT venture, people will end up spending their retirement income and savings on it. See how much it costs to get hospitalized or how much medication costs for people who need it. It's pretty astounding and outrageous.
    We could pay for ALL AMERICANS healthcare, it's just that our government chooses to spend more of taxes towards the military might instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Dd was hospitalized a couple weeks ago and so far we have a $7,000 hospital bill pending. That will probably be for the ER (which in the past has run us around $1,000), and then most likely her one night stay, (since the claim is pending it doesn't have the breakdown available yet for what services it's for).

I have nothing to add, but I'm not in the US so i'm curious. What if you didn't have the ability to pay the bill for the hospital? Or if you had no insurance? Surly a hospital would still give a critically ill person the same service? I mean, no parent would ever be told "we can save your child as long as you can pay X amount..."

right??

The hospital offers 0% interest payment plans, starting at a $20 a month payment. Also, if you qualify there's assistance programs as well.

Not always available. This varies considerably by hospital. individual circumstances, etc.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably why the number one reason for bankruptcy in the United States is medical debt. I mean even if you do have insurance, the costs are crazy high, and if there's an enormous deductible, is it true that you could be looking at paying upwards of $10K in medical bills out of pocket before the insurance even kicks in and starts paying? Anybody here with experience with high deductible insurance who can answer this? I'm curious.

Our plan is considered high deductible (it's a high deductible HSA plan)-it's $3,000 oop before any insurance kicks in, then it goes to 20/80 up to around $7,500, and then insurance takes over 100%. So annually we could have $7,500 oop for medical expenses, not including dental and vision, which is separate. We usually hit that every 2-3 years. Some years we do payment plans, some years we pay for all of it oop right away, just depends on what else is going on.

Your deductible is less than half of what mine is - $6500 per person - $13,500 for the family. Most meds are covered with a $10 copay (even tho I have a scrip right now that both the docs and I are fighting the insurance company about - but that is a different thread). If we were to hit the max on our deductible, we would be living under a bridge someplace... sucks really - and ours is considered a 'good' policy.

So to answer the original question - yes, if something major were to happen, my family would have to pay $6500 per person (if multiple family members were involved) before we got anything from the insurance, and then 20% of the costs up to $13,000 (or another $2600) before the insurance took over full payment.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    The point isn't necessarily to encourage overweight people to lose weight, but to get them to shoulder most of their health costs for a result that (in most cases), is due to their own actions. Especially since weight related issues ranks high on health care costs.

The problem with that is that poorer people tend to eat more poorly. Not because they want to but it's much cheaper to buy processed food then to buy more healthy food. So charging the poor more because they are overweight doesn't solve anything. It makes matters worse.
    What needs to happen is that our elected officials should not bow down to the Insurance or drug company pacs. It is amazing how in Canada the drugs are so much cheaper than they are here. That is what is raising the cost of health care here.

The price controls in Canada and the EU are part of the reason that drugs that cost so much more in the US--we are subsidizing the R&D for the rest of the world.

Do you have any links to this with researched stats. I'd be interested to see just how much state funded healthcare eats into pharmaceutical profit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I take full responsibility for having a Swiftian perspective on the moralizing about people's weight and desire to penalize them occurring repeatedly on this thread.

Strawman. When a group of people go out to a restaurant, and enjoy a meal, they have to pay for it. Presumably each of them chips in according to what they ordered. That's what we're talking about.

Emotionally charged words like "penalize" them have no place in this.

Are you aware that young men pay more for car insurance than young women, because they're a higher risk group?
  • bmchillz
    bmchillz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Think about the fact that a large percentage of overweight/obese are lower income. You can't compare this to buying cigarettes, because smoking is an additional purchase. Often folks only purchase cheap food. Cheap food is not filling, which lends itself to eating more of it, hence becoming overweight/obese. Adding that type of financial burden is not going to help overweight people. It's only going to further benefit those who are either naturally slim, or fit.
  • GailLee4
    GailLee4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't. If we continue down this path, it will eventually lead to higher premiums for those who are genetically predisposed toward certain illnesses such as dementia, cancer, heart disease, which, despite all the yadda-yadda about everything being a result of obesity, may manifest itself or not. Regarding obesity being the mother of all that ails the world, I know many skinny folks with heart and kidney issues, diabetes, and cancer. I have lost 65 pounds for the upteenth time, so I understand obesity. One can argue about lifestyle choices, which I do agree to a degree; however, I know genetics play a large role in the way one's body processes food and stores fat. I run like a wildebeest and eat like a rabbit just to stay one pound into normal weight. I cannot eat my calories burned during exercise, or I'll gain weight. Should people like this be punished with higher premiums? I think not. Smokers (I am a former smoker), yes. That's always a choice.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Yes, obesity greatly increases the risk of developing a wide range of expensive diseases. It's fair that overweight/obese people pay more. Smokers pay more for the same reason. This is no different.

LMAO. Yes, it is actually VERY DIFFERENT. One is 100% a CHOICE. The other is not necessarily.