Gain muscle, lose fat. Possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting years ago my starting weight was 144 pounds, very lean. After about a year of dedicated lifting, up to the point I injured my knee, I had gotten up to 178 pounds and less than 7% body fat.

It just takes time, don't get discouraged and give up, stick with what you're doing and you'll get where you want to be physically.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think your goal would be a recomposition. If you're underweight maybe it's better to gain muscle first and then get lean.

It's possible to loss fat and gain muscle for beginners having an small deficit of 5-10%, no need for a surplus, aslong as you hit the protein needed 1.6 to 1.8 per lb of bodyweight. This is more complicated than just bulk and cut but you don't need excess calories just enough.

If you're eating enough protein what @heybales points might be the reason you're not seeing progress, that's why the programs like stronglifts are a good place to start, they've good compound excercises and follow a progresive weight overload.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Monday - arm day(coz everyone else is doing chest) + HIIT(one minute sprint + one minute jog)
    Tuesday - chest and core
    Wednesday - recovery day
    Thursday - shoulder and back
    Friday - legs
    Saturday - HIIT (UPPER BODY)
    Sunday-recovery day

HIIT while fasting coz it helps to burn extra bit of fat(glycosen stores are depleted) only taking my BCAA at that time(insulin level is less, growth harmone level is high)

Sets - 3 ( aint able to do 4) coz i do time bound set, around 30-45 seconds more than NORMAL SET TIME.
    Helps to release more lactic acid which in turn helps to increase T- level.

Mixture of an awful routine for your status/goals and a whole load of woo.

Keep it simple, get on a good lifting program, eat a balanced diet, train hard.
  • Abhi_131196
    Abhi_131196 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Ok.. Yeah... Balanced diet, right training and recovery. Got it.
    So if u guys can tell me what should be an ideal macro percentage for me coz now i know that most of the things which i was doing was WRONG. So let me help in starting it from basic.
  • Heidi252
    Heidi252 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    After 3 months of constant efforts... Losing hope to achieve the goal. Need motivation.

Read Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. Best. Book. Ever. I haven't read all your replies OP, but it's my bible. Tom Venuto's philosphy is if you want to look/be like a fitness pro, you have to eat like one and train like one.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Since you're not an obese beginner, you will not be able to do both. However since you are underweight, a good lifting program and a MODEST caloric surplus shouldn't get you too "fat" and you could minimize the fat you do gain. You need to know your tdee, eat in a surplus and follow a lifting regiment that progressively increases your load. Good luck OP!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My other suggestion would get me a warning
  • Abhi_131196
    Options

We are all buddies i guess.. Go on. ;)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

That's as may be, but he mods are nobody's friend. :#
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Possible yes. But you'd have to be:

Brand new to lifting
    Returning athlete after long layoff
    Obese and lifting to encourage hypertrophy

Recomp is possible, but it can take a couple of years to see some significant muscle gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and lift heavy and often. Yes, it can be done.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Look here bud, you can do it but it is quite too hard if you've been lifting for about a 9 months to a year and half.
    But it is very possible, question is, is it better than bulking/cutting or not?

Most people who bulk don't usually cut because they're used to eat their bulking food, got comfortable already, not mentioning dirty bulking, dirty bulking is complete *kitten*. Anyways

What you need to do is to eat nutritionally dense food, you can lose weight or gain muscle with few bad meals, but you can't do both with the same principle.

Maintain your macros, or cut back 100-250 calories max.
    Keep your protein rate up to 25-35% (higher range is better)
    Workout routine that doesn't last longer than 45 minutes a time (excluding your cardio)
    Do HIIT cardio for 10-20minutes because it burns fat, boosts metabolic rate (afterburn) and it increases legs muscularity so it's perfect for gaining muscle losing fat
    Stay consistent

Tho it works for people who have been lifting for year + but it is a lot slower.
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Brand new to lifting

Recomp is possible, but it can take a couple of years to see some significant muscle gain.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Couple years for some gain?? Did you mean couple months?
  • Abhi_131196
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

That's as may be, but he mods are nobody's friend. :#

• Abhi_131196
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Brand new to lifting

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I am like "almost" brand new. And thats the thing i was looking for.
  • Abhi_131196
    Options
    Look here bud, you can do it but it is quite too hard if you've been lifting for about a 9 months to a year and half.
    But it is very possible, question is, is it better than bulking/cutting or not?

Most people who bulk don't usually cut because they're used to eat their bulking food, got comfortable already, not mentioning dirty bulking, dirty bulking is complete *kitten*. Anyways

What you need to do is to eat nutritionally dense food, you can lose weight or gain muscle with few bad meals, but you can't do both with the same principle.

Maintain your macros, or cut back 100-250 calories max.
    Keep your protein rate up to 25-35% (higher range is better)
    Workout routine that doesn't last longer than 45 minutes a time (excluding your cardio)
    Do HIIT cardio for 10-20minutes because it burns fat, boosts metabolic rate (afterburn) and it increases legs muscularity so it's perfect for gaining muscle losing fat
    Stay consistent

Tho it works for people who have been lifting for year + but it is a lot slower.
    Protein rate-check.
    More info abt other macros will b appreciated.