Keto Day 5. Feel horrible & want to quit. Friends not supportive

Options
Islandbound25
Islandbound25 Posts: 10 Member
It is Keto day 5 for me and I feel terrible. I'm sure my electrolytes are out of balance and I am trying to get it under control. On top of that, I didn't tell one of my friends about it because I knew she would not be supportive, but had to confess after she kept asking questions about why I was sick. She is tall, thin, and has never struggled with her weight. "Just exercise more" is her response to everything. My A1C has been creeping up, triglycerides are high, and I have metabolic syndrome. Just eating healthy and exercising isn't working for me. I feel so bad and I am beginning to doubt my decision to start this. I am concerned about the health risks associated with an electrolyte imbalance. I am very tired, but not sleeping. I'm irritable and have trouble concentrating. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. My stomach feels like someone punched me. I feel lightheaded and want to cry. How long does this last? How long does it take to get to the point of feeling better? I'm not exercising because I feel so bad. I am taking supplements but am still having trouble getting enough sodium and potassium. Please share your experiences with me.

Replies

• Islandbound25
    Options
    newmedow, thanks for the information. I might have to up my carbs a little. I've been averaging 10-15 grams a day. How did you keep your electrolytes balanced?
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey there. First, congratulations. It's a great weight loss and energy boosting diet.
    I'm not an expert but have used KETO several times with great success. My advice would be:
    Make sure you are getting your protein and fats. Those metrics are MINIMUMS while on this.
    ADD SALT. Low carb requires you take in more salt. So pump it up.
    More water. You're probably doing this but you need the added water to flush out the extra protein byproducts. And because you are drinking more water: MORE SALT.

Lastly, there is a symptom called the KETO Flu in which you will feel like *kitten* around the time you are. It's a result of switching from carb burning to fat burning. It lasts 2-4 days and then goes away and the other side is blissful.

Keep on it. Stay the course and see how you are in four days. The result will be amazing.

Friend if you want more support.

Keep rocking it!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    khest25 wrote: »
    It is Keto day 5 for me and I feel terrible. I'm sure my electrolytes are out of balance and I am trying to get it under control. On top of that, I didn't tell one of my friends about it because I knew she would not be supportive, but had to confess after she kept asking questions about why I was sick. She is tall, thin, and has never struggled with her weight. "Just exercise more" is her response to everything. My A1C has been creeping up, triglycerides are high, and I have metabolic syndrome. Just eating healthy and exercising isn't working for me. I feel so bad and I am beginning to doubt my decision to start this. I am concerned about the health risks associated with an electrolyte imbalance. I am very tired, but not sleeping. I'm irritable and have trouble concentrating. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. My stomach feels like someone punched me. I feel lightheaded and want to cry. How long does this last? How long does it take to get to the point of feeling better? I'm not exercising because I feel so bad. I am taking supplements but am still having trouble getting enough sodium and potassium. Please share your experiences with me.

Hi, khest25, I'm sorry it's so unpleasant.

You might be interested in the low carb group, which will have more people with various experiences:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You also, of course, don't have to do keto to lose, although given the information you provide I understand why you would want to try low carb. I have been low carbing off and on -- around 100-120 mostly when doing it, tend to eat under 150 at maintenance just naturally, occasionally just under 100, and increasingly I realized there are some benefits to me of being on the lower end of this, so I decided to try keto-ing starting this week to see how that compared. My personal plan was that I would aim for around 50 total, less net, obviously, which from my reading should probably be low enough, but that I also am not going to do anything I'm not willing to do such as cut back in any significant way on non starchy vegetables.

I've been hanging out around 50-55 total, 30s net, and actually feel fine so far although I can totally feel it in my running which currently feels lethargic. I suspect people may react differently, of course, but I also wonder if me being at a higher level currently or having experience being somewhat lower first may have made it easier?

Anyway, I agree with newmeadow that for many people who obtain benefits from lower carb or higher fat, that you might do so at higher carb levels than keto. Here (http://caloriesproper.com/carbs-low-vs-lower/) is a blog post discussing a study that suggests that's so. It also might just be easier to try moderate or low carb first before going so extremely low since you are so much not enjoying it now.

Anyway, I expect there are people who found it miserable at first but ended up feeling great, and maybe some things that would help you (which is why I referred you to the group -- it's not just for keto-ers, also), but it may not be worth the pain for you right now if you haven't tried under 100 or some such.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I might have to up my carbs a little. I've been averaging 10-15 grams a day.

Even for keto that seems terribly low. How, if at all, are you measuring your ketone levels? I invested in a blood testing glucose & ketone monitor early in my journey so I could figure what works best for me. It is probably wise to up the carbs, you can improve all of your health issues without suffering so much pain and discomfort. I have been keto for 10 months (regained insulin sensitivity, managed PCOS, lost 30 kgs) , however, I have found I can eat up to 90g of carbs per day and remain in ketosis. You sound miserable, please don't keep suffering, try adding few more carbs & plenty of fluid & keep us informed of your progress!

• caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How many total calories are you taking in a day and what is your start weight? I'm guessing you are having some general withdrawals from foods you are used to (like sugar) in addition to way too low carbs and likely way too l little calories. Any diet is a journey. Yes, its great to go in full throttle but if you starve yourself this is likely to be a, "tried it, hated it, quit", experience. I know people who have had great success with Keto but also many who have done great with Jenny C and WW. Not everything is for everybody. Check your total calories. Did you calculate that somwhere too? I'd make the adjustments people have suggested like upping carbs, more water, sodium (chicken broth works great) and whenever possible eat real food vs. just bars and protein shakes. Give it a couple more days and if you still feel terrible, perhaps another kind of easy to follow diet will work better for you for now.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

I thought ketosis was measured by keto strips using urine, or a keto breathalyzer device. Although I've heard these methods are not widely accepted as being reliable.

You use a meter, lancet and strips to determine ketosis level? Are the strips used to measure glucose separate from the strips used to measure ketosis? What's the reliability index? Sorry for all the questions, but I find your post above very interesting. I haven't read any MFP posters who say they stay in ketosis on 90 grams of carb a day. But if you maintain ketosis that way, that sounds far more manageable than the tiny amount of carbs that other keto people take in.

No problem for the questions. I purchased a 'Freestyle Optium Neo' which uses separate strips to measure glucose & ketones & will record the last 1000 tests which are downloadable. It uses lancets yes, just like a standard blood glucose monitor. Accuracy is high (99.1% compared to lab testing according to manufacturer backed research -https://freestylediabetes.ie/images/uploads/documents/White_Paper__Clinical_FreeStyle_Optium_Neo.pdf), and my keto range is now around 1.5-3.0 mm/l. It was up to 6.5 in the early days, however research suggests there is no added benefit from high ketone levels.

The machine was inexpensive here is Australia, however, the strips are costly and I now only measure glucose/ketones every couple of weeks. I attribute my high carb allowance to my running, I average 45 km's per week. I find that my endurance is excellent, even if I have less carbs the day before a longer run. I find my carb intake to be a great level for adherence and am sure I could eat this way for life!

• Islandbound25
    Options
    I may be a little confused as to what my target numbers are for a keto diet. My targeted goal is 70% Fat, 25% Protein, & 5% Carbs. I'll add a pic of what my day looks like. I'm just concerned I'm not doing it correctly. Also, on the MFP app under nutrients, I am confused about the carb, fiber, & sugar results. How am I supposed to read/calculate them into the keto plan? Thanks in advance.

m8ixxu6l82bx.jpeg
    aexoerfhzl40.jpeg
    74gc9fbqh27w.jpeg
  • Islandbound25
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How, if at all, are you measuring your ketone levels?

I have ordered a monitor to test my blood. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I did find an electrolyte drink cocktail recipe online this afternoon and already feel much better. Not 100%, but feel a significant difference. I don't like salt and have never salted my food. I was taking supplements, but I guess I didn't consider the sodium. Even though I don't normally like salt and dreaded the drink, it was actually good. I guess it's what my body needed.

• LisaEatSleepRun
    Options
    That's good news that you are feeling a bit better! Your target goals seems accurate, most keto calculators suggest 5-10% carbs, so maybe go to 10% instead of the 5% you are on now? It will be great to have a monitor, it gives great clarity, especially in the very early days.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I may be a little confused as to what my target numbers are for a keto diet. My targeted goal is 70% Fat, 25% Protein, & 5% Carbs. I'll add a pic of what my day looks like. I'm just concerned I'm not doing it correctly. Also, on the MFP app under nutrients, I am confused about the carb, fiber, & sugar results. How am I supposed to read/calculate them into the keto plan? Thanks in advance.

m8ixxu6l82bx.jpeg
    aexoerfhzl40.jpeg
    74gc9fbqh27w.jpeg

you need to up your calories too. 1000 may be too little for you which can also cause those side effects. for keto you subtract the amount of fiber from your amount of carbs to get your net grams of carbs. you need to get more fiber in your diet too as keto can for some cause constipation.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    The public discussion forums are not keto friendly. Here's a link to the keto group if you want to attempt to continue keto http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I don't see "unfriendliness" with regard to keto - what I DO see on occasion is keto advocates claiming it's THE way (usually the "only" or "best" way) to lose weight or to "cure" certain conditions, and other people commenting that in most cases it's not necessary. We're all individuals, and what works for one doesn't for another, so if keto works for someone that's great! It's not something that everyone needs to try, however.

That said, if this is what the OP wants or needs to do, joining a specific group for advice and guidance will definitely be helpful to her. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Drink pickle juice.
  • maycon55
    maycon55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Drink some pickle juice. It did wonders for me when I felt like that. I'm on day 6. Now I make sure I have 1 pickle spear a day as a snack.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Hi, khest25, I'm sorry it's so unpleasant.

You might be interested in the low carb group, which will have more people with various experiences:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You also, of course, don't have to do keto to lose, although given the information you provide I understand why you would want to try low carb. I have been low carbing off and on -- around 100-120 mostly when doing it, tend to eat under 150 at maintenance just naturally, occasionally just under 100, and increasingly I realized there are some benefits to me of being on the lower end of this, so I decided to try keto-ing starting this week to see how that compared. My personal plan was that I would aim for around 50 total, less net, obviously, which from my reading should probably be low enough, but that I also am not going to do anything I'm not willing to do such as cut back in any significant way on non starchy vegetables.

I've been hanging out around 50-55 total, 30s net, and actually feel fine so far although I can totally feel it in my running which currently feels lethargic. I suspect people may react differently, of course, but I also wonder if me being at a higher level currently or having experience being somewhat lower first may have made it easier?

Anyway, I agree with newmeadow that for many people who obtain benefits from lower carb or higher fat, that you might do so at higher carb levels than keto. Here (http://caloriesproper.com/carbs-low-vs-lower/) is a blog post discussing a study that suggests that's so. It also might just be easier to try moderate or low carb first before going so extremely low since you are so much not enjoying it now.

Anyway, I expect there are people who found it miserable at first but ended up feeling great, and maybe some things that would help you (which is why I referred you to the group -- it's not just for keto-ers, also), but it may not be worth the pain for you right now if you haven't tried under 100 or some such.

Kitty, I'm in shock. I thought you were high carb. You're actually lower carb than me and you even qualify for membership in the Low Carbers Daily Forum! 50 grams per day is technically keto, so you're pretty much keto???!!!

I've been mostly what I call moderate carb -- started at 30-35% of 1250 (around 100 g), and liked it. Moved to 40% when I increased calories due to working out more, but generally had carbs below 150 when losing (so not high carb, certainly). At maintenance I tried to push them to 50% and also tried a more vegetarian diet, but neither really work for me. Went to under 100 in January and felt fabulous. Did vegetarian Lent (didn't track carbs but they were higher) and rather than convincing me I wanted to go vegetarian full time (which was something I was considering a little) it convinced me I felt way better in January. I decided what the heck I'd go all the way, see if I like ketoing at all (assuming I am low enough now since I don't think I could go lower), and if not go back to somewhere under 100.

I don't like the idea that one must be low carb to lose or that it's the healthiest way (I think all macro ratios can be done healthfully, well, within reason, of course). But I always say that I get that low carb works for some, and moderate to lower works better for me for a variety of reasons (food preference, how I feel).

The keto experiment started Sunday.
  • mohamedahmed07
    mohamedahmed07 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Look, first 2 weeks in keto diet you gonna feel up like complete *kitten*, keep at it for about 2-3 weeks with 30 or less net carbs ( net carbs = carbs - fibers )
    you need the time to get into the ketosis state first, because when you don't, you don't have energy, you took the carb away, and your body doesn't use fat for energy so just be patient, and if after a month you still feel like *kitten*, switch to a moderate 120-200 carb diet.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

m8ixxu6l82bx.jpeg
    aexoerfhzl40.jpeg
    74gc9fbqh27w.jpeg

you need to up your calories too. 1000 may be too little for you which can also cause those side effects. for keto you subtract the amount of fiber from your amount of carbs to get your net grams of carbs. you need to get more fiber in your diet too as keto can for some cause constipation.

This is my thought too.

Rather than percentages, I'd focus on grams. .8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight is a good goal for maintaining muscle while losing, more important on low cals, and not so much that it would kick you out of keto/prevent you getting in. Under 30 g (net, I think) is supposed to be safe to get into ketosis. I am doing a bit higher since I run. My reasoning was that it's 5% of maintenance calories, really, since the deficit is fueled by your own fat. My maintenance is around 2000, so 5% of that is 50 g. Then for fat, whatever is left, but try to eat all the calories, as being really low can be why you feel bad as much as the carbs. (It's hard to know how to fill the calories when you have a radical diet change.)

For more advice on macros and how to fill in the diet, the group is a good source. Like I said above, I'm a beginner.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more salt. If you don't like salting your food, try drinking a cup of bouillon or add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a big glass of water. You'll feel better in half an hour.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm studying nutrition... eating that low seems... pretty dangerous... I don't know much about the keto diet. except that your body starts to burn fat instead of carbs but... you can also mess around with your blood pH and your brain does need carbs to function.

Is there a specific reason why you are doing Keto?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    I'm studying nutrition... eating that low seems... pretty dangerous... I don't know much about the keto diet. except that your body starts to burn fat instead of carbs but... you can also mess around with your blood pH and your brain does need carbs to function.

Is there a specific reason why you are doing Keto?

your body keeps your blood pH at certain levels. eating a certain way will not change that.and the fat your body burns is the dietary fat not body fat.body fat is burned in a deficit doesnt matter how you eat.