Keto Day 5. Feel horrible & want to quit. Friends not supportive

Options
2»

Replies

• Islandbound25
    Islandbound25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've actually been getting anywhere between 1200-1400 calories per day. The screenshot above just wasn't complete for today. I finished with about 1200 calories. Thank you all for replying with useful information.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »
    our brain does need carbs to function.

Wrong. Our brain / central nervous system needs glucose to function. We can make glucose from protein, so there is no requirement to eat carbs for glucose.

Additionally, our brain can get some energy from ketones. Studies seem to consistently find decreased glucose needs of 10% per mmol/l of blood ketones.

Since we all have about the same size brain, we all need about 120g-130g of glucose daily. Let's use 125g. If blood ketones are 3.0 mmol/l, then that is only 87.5g (125g × (1-30%)) of glucose.

Net carbs convert to glucose at near 100%. Figure 15g carbs consumed. 87.5g - 15g = 72.5g

Now consider protein converts to glucose at 58% efficiency (gluconeogenesis isn't very efficient)... to make the needed 72.5g of glucose, you use 125g (72.5g / 58%) of protein. This can come from food or body protein.

That scenario ignores glycogen, which is usually released for energy during the first several weeks of low carb diets.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm studying nutrition... eating that low seems... pretty dangerous... I don't know much about the keto diet. except that your body starts to burn fat instead of carbs but... you can also mess around with your blood pH and your brain does need carbs to function.

Is there a specific reason why you are doing Keto?

Ketones aren't really any more acidotic than glucose. Metabolic acidosis is one of the fastest tickets to the morgue, if keto substantially altered blood PH (which it doesn't); most people wouldn't live too long on it.

Don't confuse dietary ketosis with DKA, in which the primary acidosis cause is really really high blood glucose.
  • muri72
    muri72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are experiencing Keto flu! Hang in there and you will be able to push through!
  • Islandbound25
    Islandbound25 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've been taking a complete multivitamin since before starting the keto diet. After getting "keto flu" symptoms, I have increased my sodium intake for the past 2 days. It's made me feel slightly better. Additionally, I slightly increased my carb intake because I am feeling shaky today. Today, I ate roughly 1250 cal. 65% Fat, 25% Protein, & 10% Carbs. I'm not eating a ton of junk. I'm actually preparing keto recipes using as much fresh ingredients as possible along with almond flour, coconut oil, etc... I am still very dizzy, nauseous, restless, shaky, and feel like I am hungover. I feel sick and my heart is pounding. To top it off, since increasing my sodium intake, I've gained back 5 of the 6 lbs I had lost. I am drinking 2500-3000 ml of water a day. My activity level is normal and I haven't been sedentary, but I have not exercised in 3 days due to the symptoms. What am I doing wrong, or does everyone experience these symptoms? How long do they last and when will I have the energy to exercise?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ok, so I've been taking a complete multivitamin since before starting the keto diet. After getting "keto flu" symptoms, I have increased my sodium intake for the past 2 days. It's made me feel slightly better. Additionally, I slightly increased my carb intake because I am feeling shaky today. Today, I ate roughly 1250 cal. 65% Fat, 25% Protein, & 10% Carbs. I'm not eating a ton of junk. I'm actually preparing keto recipes using as much fresh ingredients as possible along with almond flour, coconut oil, etc... I am still very dizzy, nauseous, restless, shaky, and feel like I am hungover. I feel sick and my heart is pounding. To top it off, since increasing my sodium intake, I've gained back 5 of the 6 lbs I had lost. I am drinking 2500-3000 ml of water a day. My activity level is normal and I haven't been sedentary, but I have not exercised in 3 days due to the symptoms. What am I doing wrong, or does everyone experience these symptoms? How long do they last and when will I have the energy to exercise?

keto may not be something that works for you then. not everyone can do keto.as for the weight you gained back,you upped your carbs a little so its water retention. weight/fat is lost in a deficit,keto is nothing magical for weight loss.it could be you arent eating enough as well. so either up carbs a little/ up calories some(or both). if you still feel like that in a few days then I would just stop doing keto. if you dont have the energy to exercise it could mean that your body runs better on carbs instead of fat. I am that way(also due to health issues but)
  • jlbroyles
    jlbroyles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am just starting high fat low carb. Hoping it's what I need to boost my weight loss as nothing else has. Good luck to you and hope you get to feeling better!!!
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Wrong. Our brain / central nervous system needs glucose to function. We can make glucose from protein, so there is no requirement to eat carbs for glucose.

Additionally, our brain can get some energy from ketones. Studies seem to consistently find decreased glucose needs of 10% per mmol/l of blood ketones.

Since we all have about the same size brain, we all need about 120g-130g of glucose daily. Let's use 125g. If blood ketones are 3.0 mmol/l, then that is only 87.5g (125g × (1-30%)) of glucose.

Net carbs convert to glucose at near 100%. Figure 15g carbs consumed. 87.5g - 15g = 72.5g

Now consider protein converts to glucose at 58% efficiency (gluconeogenesis isn't very efficient)... to make the needed 72.5g of glucose, you use 125g (72.5g / 58%) of protein. This can come from food or body protein.

That scenario ignores glycogen, which is usually released for energy during the first several weeks of low carb diets.

I used the term carbs because it breaks down to glucose, I was just simplifying it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jlbroyles wrote: »
    I am just starting high fat low carb. Hoping it's what I need to boost my weight loss as nothing else has. Good luck to you and hope you get to feeling better!!!

it will boost water weight loss,but if you werent losing before chances are you werent in a deficit.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm studying nutrition... eating that low seems... pretty dangerous... I don't know much about the keto diet. except that your body starts to burn fat instead of carbs but... you can also mess around with your blood pH and your brain does need carbs to function.

Did you miss this in her first post?
    khest25 wrote: »
    My A1C has been creeping up, triglycerides are high, and I have metabolic syndrome.

Why would I respond to a post that I didn't read? I meant why choose keto when she isn't feeling the greatest vs. other diets
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »

Ketones aren't really any more acidotic than glucose. Metabolic acidosis is one of the fastest tickets to the morgue, if keto substantially altered blood PH (which it doesn't); most people wouldn't live too long on it.

Don't confuse dietary ketosis with DKA, in which the primary acidosis cause is really really high blood glucose.

Thanks, when I was learning about ketosis, it was in biochem and we were going over ketosis, acidosis, diabetes, etc everything so i might have gotten a little mixed up.

• Cocoa1020
    Options
    And to O.P, best of luck!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I used the term carbs because it breaks down to glucose, I was just simplifying it.

As I pointed out, carbs are not the only thing that becomes glucose. You "simplified" it to something that is incorrect... to say "our brain does need carbs" is not the same as saying "our brain needs glucose." How does the correct statement add any value to this thread?