Is this healthy?

Options

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"9" burn 800-1000 calories every single day but I eat 1600-1800 calories each day. I try to go to bed with a deficit of about 1000. I can't imagine not feeling hungry. I could easily eat another 1000 calories a day plus my flip flop but I don't. I eat balanced and healthy. I sleep at night. Some weeks I lose 2lbs and some 4lbs...the last three weeks, zero. But I keep truckin.

It's simple. Eat right, sleep right, drink water-a lot... if you are not hungry maybe visit a nutritionist or doctor to see what you can do differently.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    Also signs of malnutrition don't tend to show up til later so people think they are fine. By the time their hair starts falling out its a lot harder to reverse the damage.

Right, because of the hair follicle life cycle, hair loss in particular might not show up for 3-6 months after the undereating begins.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The burn might not be that crazy, it's 10'000 steps of calories AND purposeful exercise.

Around 5000 steps a day are consider normal for an adult with an office job. 5000 more steps do not burn that much calories.
    Again, I don't Know how much OP weighs but, in general most calories burn during workouts are way overestimated.

Right, without knowing how much the OP weighs and how long her workouts are, we really can't comment on whether her burns are grossly inflated or not. Shorter, lighter women are often surprised at the burns heavier, taller women put up. This OP is 5'11".

And I'm 5'10. While there's a chance that 750 calorie burn is accurate, there's a better chance that is not, unless OP is seriously overweight and put some serious high intensity cardio. My point is that exercise burns are usually overestimated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    linlinjay wrote: »
    You need to eat more full stop. 1000 calories leaves your body literally nothing for bodily functions. You are going to have a collapse at some point if you carry on like this. The odd day is fine. Every day is not.

It sounds like you have some sort of morally applied view of food and it's the guilt associated with so called "junk" that's the issue not that it actually makes you feel bad. It's always better to eat as healthfully as possible but there is also a time when you just need to get calories in to prevent harm.

I cant make myself eat though, i'm not hungry :(

This is how eating disorders start.......maybe look into counseling.

Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado, full fat dairy, full fat salad dressings. Smoothies can be calorie dense. There a lots of calorie dense foods with small serving sizes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The burn might not be that crazy, it's 10'000 steps of calories AND purposeful exercise.

Around 5000 steps a day are consider normal for an adult with an office job. 5000 more steps do not burn that much calories.
    Again, I don't Know how much OP weighs but, in general most calories burn during workouts are way overestimated.

Right, without knowing how much the OP weighs and how long her workouts are, we really can't comment on whether her burns are grossly inflated or not. Shorter, lighter women are often surprised at the burns heavier, taller women put up. This OP is 5'11".

And I'm 5'10. While there's a chance that 750 calorie burn is accurate, there's a better chance that is not, unless OP is seriously overweight and put some serious high intensity cardio. My point is that exercise burns are usually overestimated.

even so, OP is only eating 1100 cals, barely enough if she was completely sedentary!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I do see burns like that at 5'3 and just under 200 lbs, but I generally eat back no more than half. (Also, my activity level is set to sedentary and I log virtually all exercise, including 15-minute errands to the grocery store, warmup and cool-down stretches, etc. So, because there's a good chance of overlap between 'exercise' and 'normal day-to-day movements already factored into my calorie budget for the day', I don't eat all the exercise calories back.)
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad

Mfp allows me 1600. I work out average 1000. That puts me at 2600 calories assuming machines are rightish. I eat 1600. Leaves me with 1000 calorie deficit. Am I am definitely not starving myself. Sorry if I said that wrong before.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hope you haven't been doing that for long - please start eating more before you do lasting harm.

@TavistockToad Could you further elaborate?

I'm the same as the guy you replied, due to excercise and walking a lot I tend to burn 1000 to 1200 extra cals daily. Normally I barely eat some back so I had deficits of 1000 but I eat the adecuate amount of protein and nutrients. I've been doing it for 4 months, I've not felt tired or hungry and have only see the consecuence of sightly muscular loss.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If I had trouble getting enough calories I'd probably not be on this forum.

You'll go hard like this for a few weeks and crash... no thx
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    @TavistockToad

Mfp allows me 1600. I work out average 1000. That puts me at 2600 calories assuming machines are rightish. I eat 1600. Leaves me with 1000 calorie deficit. Am I am definitely not starving myself. Sorry if I said that wrong before.

No - that's not how MFP works.

You don't burn calories only during workouts.....you burn calories 24/7. Your heart, lungs, kidneys all need fuel every day. MFP allows 1600 BEFORE exercise. Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss. Some people can't/won't exercise. So you should be eating 1600 + 1000 calories (if the machines are correct....which they almost never are).

Try eating 1600 + (.50x1000) = 500 or 2100 calories. That's going to be closer to your weekly weight loss goal (assuming you are logging food accurately).
  • linlinjay
    linlinjay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like i'm only hungry for junk even if i have healthy options but then when i eat junk i feel gross and weird.

What's junk food?

Something that is highly processed or not a whole food???

No. Just no.

If my memory serves me right, you have posted before about having a history of an eating disorder since you were 11.

Please consider talking to a health professional about this.

Not anorexia though!!!