margarine or butter

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Bacon fat and duck fat are awesome.

I'm so ashamed for forgetting bacon fat :disappointed: I've heard duck fat is amazing, but have never used it. Something I want to try!

And a tub of it lasts forever in the fridge. I got one from the farmer's market.
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have used real butter now for years. My father-in-law is board certified health and wellness doctor, he recommends akways non-processed food. He says your body knows what to do with it but the chemicals just confuse it and are unhealthy.
    We have been following his advice for years and are MUCH healthier for it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    biffa66 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips.
    Butter seems more natural but more fatty.
    Marg is less fat but more harmful chemicals.

Has anyone found a perfect balance?

I use butter. I think it tastes better even in smaller amounts. It makes toast less soggy. It is better in baking.
    I grew up with margarine and hate it.

Use whatever you prefer.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    I use both, but mostly margarine because it's spreadable on sammiches without needing to leave it out for a while beforehand.

Lard and shortening are good too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    Eri0515 wrote: »
    I have used real butter now for years. My father-in-law is board certified health and wellness doctor, he recommends akways non-processed food. He says your body knows what to do with it but the chemicals just confuse it and are unhealthy.

While I know what you mean by processed food, since technically if I take a strawberry from my garden, hull it, and throw it in the freezer, I have processed it, here on the MFP forums I use the term Ultra Processed Food and refer to the Brazilian definition.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Always butter
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Goose fat on roast potatoes at Christmas!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I use both. Margarine on my bread, and butter in my baking/cooking.
  • KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Butter is my preference
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Butter...or ghee, olive oil, schmaltz, lard, duck fat, bacon fat, tallow, coconut oil, sesame oil, etc.

Never, ever margarine for me under any circumstances. I can't believe anyone still uses that horrific stuff. And regular margarine has the same amount of calories as butter.

But it's your body and your choice what to put into it.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    I use two types of butter, sweet butter for cooking, baking and salted butter for toast which I leave out in a crock so its spreadable. I have no need margarine.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I prefer butter as it has a much better flavor and I don't like margarine as it is too artificial for me. I use less butter than I use to but definitely on toast!
  • RAVERSTACE1983
    RAVERSTACE1983 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Butter because it tastes better
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Butter thou i dont use it often
    My daughter refuses to eat toast or sandwiches made at school as they use marg and she doest like the taste
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Goose fat on roast potatoes at Christmas!

Thats a must in our house
    We use olive oil for roasties the rest of the year but goose fat makes it that extra bit special
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then! Goose or duck fat, I have to try this.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Eri0515 wrote: »

Your father-in-law needs a new job then, because that's not how the human body works. It doesn't get 'confused'. That's not how chemicals work, either. Everything is made from chemicals. Fruit and vegetables and you and me and the air and water and... yeah, everything.
    OP, eat whichever you prefer. Fat isn't bad for you. Neither is margarine. Just measure it accurately and log it. For years I used olive oil based margarine but recently switched to an oil margarine and butter mix because the olive oil marg I used contained palm oil. I try not to use palm oil because I love orangutans and all that.

Now I can't use palm oil either.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray during my weight loss phase because of the low calories. Now in maintenance I use Aldi's butter with canola oil spread.