How a Plant Based Lifestyle Helped Me

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think people are wise enough to understand that this is me sharing MY journey and that everyone has their own. Just like your method works for YOU. Don't go around telling people what they need to feel, say, or think. If you don't like positive affirmations then you don't need luck. You need a mind shift change. Be positive, respect other people's journey's and most importantly DONT TAKE THINGS PERSONAL. @janejellyroll sending you all the positive vibez that this universe has to offer you. Whether you like it or not. ✨✨✨✨✨

Since you say you are doing a plant based lifestyle (not a plant based way of eating) I am curious how you were able to eliminate animal products in your personal care products and household stuff. I am trying to reduce my usage of animal based products and am finding it difficult to do because so many colorings and scents are from animals and beeswax is such a common ingredient, especially lotions and makeup.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Glad you've found something that works well for you!
  • sandrita0706
    sandrita0706 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! Thank you for asking and catching that. So I began reading nutrition labels when I studied nutrition in college. Then pursued a food science degree which helped me understand the more technical terms in household and body products. However, I understand the general public needs a more efficient way of reading/understanding labels, I personally use Google whenever I have my doubts or need clarifications. It can definitely be time consuming but well worth it seeing that you're more aware of what you're putting on your body and into the environment. Check out EWG.org , it's very resourceful. :)@earlnabby
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I think people are wise enough to understand that this is me sharing MY journey and that everyone has their own. Just like your method works for YOU. Don't go around telling people what they need to feel, say, or think. If you don't like positive affirmations then you don't need luck. You need a mind shift change. Be positive, respect other people's journey's and most importantly DONT TAKE THINGS PERSONAL. @janejellyroll sending you all the positive vibez that this universe has to offer you. Whether you like it or not. ✨✨✨✨✨

Since you say you are doing a plant based lifestyle (not a plant based way of eating) I am curious how you were able to eliminate animal products in your personal care products and household stuff. I am trying to reduce my usage of animal based products and am finding it difficult to do because so many colorings and scents are from animals and beeswax is such a common ingredient, especially lotions and makeup.

Not OP, but I have some suggestions.

Not sure where you live (I'm in the US), but I LOVE the Pacifica Brand for lotions and makeup. I use their facial products and they are all vegan. They also make mascara without beeswax and it's the best I've ever tried. Their lotions smell so good too. And they have shimmer lip balms without beeswax, a huge find for me! Alba Botanical is another brand of lotions and personal care that I like. They have a lot of facial products like lotions and masks and cleaners. If you like fancier makeup, Urban Decay has marked all the vegan products on their website with a little paw -- last time I checked, they had a bunch of stuff (I get almost all my eye shadow from there).

For cleaning products, I usually stick to the Method brand (all vegan). Barkeepers Friend is a powered cleaner that is great for bathtubs, sinks, and pans with stuck-on food. Also vegan.

http://www.urbandecay.com/featured/vegan

(once you look up what is vegan, you can check it out in person at a place like Sephora if you prefer)

http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/ultimate-guide-to-cruelty-free-makeup/

(This is a huge list, haven't tried many of them)
  • sandrita0706
    Options
    Thank you! @macchiatto
  • sandrita0706
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Also, thanks to whatever mod combined these threads.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thanks @janejellyroll you have a lot of time on your hands! :)

Given that I already had the links and knew my own product preferences, that only took a minute or so. But you're welcome.
  • LittleBrownLamb
    LittleBrownLamb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm very new to the plant based lifestyle and have a couple of questions if I may. First of all, I don't own a juicer so I'm using my blender to make smoothies instead of juices. Kinda bums me out because I think I'd incorporate beets and other veggies I didn't like (which are few) if I had a juicer. My hubby just doesn't see the point...yet. I do realize that I'm not using as many veggies in the blender as I would be in the juicer, but aside from that, as I doing myself a disservice? Also, I'm not pumping myself full of fruit, white potatoes, or anything bad, but yesterday I went over my carbs by 3. Should I be worries about my carb intake if this happens regularly? It's hard to hit 1000 calories sometimes but easy to hit the carb number. Thanks!

PS, You look wonderful! Thank you for sharing!
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it works for you OP. Being a vegetarian made me fatter. Tons of junk food are veg/vegan and I can't control my appetite on that stuff.

I might experiment with lacto-ovo vegetarianism again when I hit my goal weight but I don't think I could ever be vegan. I don't trust soy products and it seems I would have a hard time getting enough protein.

Congrats on your success though, WTG!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Hey there! I'm very new to the plant based lifestyle and have a couple of questions if I may. First of all, I don't own a juicer so I'm using my blender to make smoothies instead of juices. Kinda bums me out because I think I'd incorporate beets and other veggies I didn't like (which are few) if I had a juicer. My hubby just doesn't see the point...yet. I do realize that I'm not using as many veggies in the blender as I would be in the juicer, but aside from that, as I doing myself a disservice? Also, I'm not pumping myself full of fruit, white potatoes, or anything bad, but yesterday I went over my carbs by 3. Should I be worries about my carb intake if this happens regularly? It's hard to hit 1000 calories sometimes but easy to hit the carb number. Thanks!

PS, You look wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Fruit and white potatoes are not bad. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requires it, I wouldn't bother limiting carbohydrates on a plant-based diet. Fruit, vegetables, beans, and grains are all carbohydrate-rich foods that are full of vitamins. As long as you're getting sufficient protein and fat, carbohydrates aren't going to hurt you.

If you have trouble eating 1,000 calories, it's probably a sign that you have limited your diet too much. Are you eating enough fat?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I'm glad it works for you OP. Being a vegetarian made me fatter. Tons of junk food are veg/vegan and I can't control my appetite on that stuff.

I might experiment with lacto-ovo vegetarianism again when I hit my goal weight but I don't think I could ever be vegan. I don't trust soy products and it seems I would have a hard time getting enough protein.

Congrats on your success though, WTG!

Soy-free vegans do exist. They get their protein from beans and grains. Some of them also eat seitan or hemp/rice/pea protein powders.