Options

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    I just discovered Halo Top last week and I'm totally in love too. I also love the ingredient list - eggs, milk, erythritol, flavouring, etc. Erythritol is a fabulous sugar substitute, I buy it by the bag for cooking and baking. It has no weird aftertaste or side effects. Loooove that stuff.

My favourite Halo Top flavour so far is Salted Caramel I think.

Glad to hear that you have tried it. I bought some a few weeks ago but have not had the chance to bake anything yet. I got a wild hair and started remodeling my kitchen, so nothing is going to be cooked in my house for a couple of months I expect! :#

I hope you like it! I use it for everything. It's great for sweetening my tea, baking, adding a pinch into savory dishes (lasagna and Italian pasta sauces are great with a bit of sweet). I believe the usage is 3/4 cup of erythritol = 1 cup of sugar. So keep that in mind! I usually use it at more like 1/2 cup because I don't have a major sweet tooth.

Interesting. Erythritol is actually less sweet than sugar - supposedly 70 to 80% less. That's about what I have found when using it in tea and coffee. I would expect to use maybe 1.2 cups, for a cup of sugar. I think my first try will be using a small amount of sugar. Here is some info on it.

https://www.justapinch.com/groups/discuss/13070/how-to-use-xylitol-and-erythritol-in-baking

Whoops, I must have mixed up my values. I still tend to err on the side of less when it comes to any sugar or sugar substitute so I must have confused myself, hah.
  • monstar4kc
    monstar4kc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Halo Top from reading about it here. Great for that late night craving of something sweet; especially when you still have enough calories left over in your deficit.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to look for birthday cake flavor. Even if it tastes like vanilla frosting... yum. I bought vanilla since I haven't had it before and figured it was safe.

I'm not sure how Halo Top isn't "real" ice cream. Like someone else said, when posting the ingredients, I was actually surprised to see that the ingredients all looked to be simply... ice cream ingredients. I'm interested in how they get it so low calorie. Lots of air whipped in? It's light but doesn't even seem as light as fro-yo. I was surprised by the creaminess. I got a very slight stevia aftertaste but I stopped noticing after the first few bites.

I have a bad sweet tooth so I don't think frozen greek yogurt would be sweet enough for me. I would eat gummies and candy all day if unrestrained =/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    I'm interested in how they get it so low calorie. Lots of air whipped in? It's light but doesn't even seem as light as fro-yo. I was surprised by the creaminess. I got a very slight stevia aftertaste but I stopped noticing after the first few bites.

Here are the ingredients: Milk and cream, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein concentrate, organic cane sugar, vegetable glycerin, rainbow sprinkles (sugar, cornstarch, vegetable oil, glucose, natural colors, soy lecithin), sea salt, natural flavors, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia.

So why so much lower? There is some whipping, no more so than the Breyer's whipped (which is all about less volume). Biggest difference is milk (apparently mostly non-fat) vs. cream -- huge calorie difference -- and then mostly artificial sweetener vs. sugar. Some of the other ingredients must give it the creaminess without the cream.

Here's an "not natural enough" commentary from Fooducate that I don't really agree with, but that supports the non-fat milk bit: http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57319A35-CCFC-7263-4E53-ADEDD4D11C8B
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Cool link, thank you! That's exactly what I was curious about :)

Lucky me I don't require my food to be natural and I'll eat all the cool things that food science has produced. Yay science!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I heard from around these parts that Halo Top is now at Costco in a 4 pack. I plan on checking it out when I go on my weekly shopping trip this weekend.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I heard from around these parts that Halo Top is now at Costco in a 4 pack. I plan on checking it out when I go on my weekly shopping trip this weekend.

It's supposedly available in a four pack of vanilla only, but I haven't seen it in my local Costco yet. I'm going this week and will check.
  • jnmrie
    jnmrie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I first found out about Halo Top I jumped on it and bought so many pints but thought to myself each time I dug my spoon into it that something was just off about the taste. Enlightened tastes slightly better in my opinion (red velvet is good) but I think I'd rather have portioned out regular ice cream/gelato or frozen yogurt.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who has never heard of this? I'm definitely going to try it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

If you have a Whole Foods nearby, they treat 8 pints as a case and knock 10% off. However, they're the most expensive place that carries it; it was over $6 last time I was there O.O

Lemon Cake is my favorite of the 240 calorie versions
    Sea Salt Caramel is my favorite of the higher cal versions.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I first heard about this ice cream brand here and have tried 2 flavors. I guess for a low-calorie ice cream it's okay, but I've since moved on to Haagen Dazs little portion cups. The flavors are limited in that size, but I know if I buy a pint I won't leave it alone. Sometimes I'd rather eat less of the real stuff than more of the okay.

I keep meaning to pick up a bag of them. Perhaps it would help me work thorough my portion control "issues" I'm having at the moment. :blush: I'm stuck in that 'don't eat this..or you'll binge' .... then I binge because I didn't eat it. So going to try portion control again and see if I can work on having treats in small quantities... such a slippery slope at times! :#

• ew_david
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Has anyone noticed that Sea Salt Caramel is now 320 calories when it used to be 280? I thought I logged it wrong, but the new pints I buy say 320.

ETA: nevermind...I just found something on Reddit that says they updated their recipes a bit. I liked 280 better :'(
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that Sea Salt Caramel is now 320 calories when it used to be 280? I thought I logged it wrong, but the new pints I buy say 320.

ETA: nevermind...I just found something on Reddit that says they updated their recipes a bit. I liked 280 better :'(

That just happened to me this past weekend!! I had an old pint of the 280, fell in love and went to pick up more and it was 320. I was like WTF?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

That just happened to me this past weekend!! I had an old pint of the 280, fell in love and went to pick up more and it was 320. I was like WTF?

This makes sense since I am new to Halo Top and bought the sea salt caramel and every time I scanned, it was showing a lower calorie serving. I was thinking they must have changed something recently.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ten extra calories per serving. Totally worth it.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    *looks at Halo Top website*

*looks down at feet, firmly planted in the UK*

*cries*
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Agreed. I am a whole pint eater, even in that case it is only 40 extra calories. I will stay on the treadmill and extra 3.832546 minutes for that.
  • ew_david
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Agreed. I am a whole pint eater, even in that case it is only 40 extra calories. I will stay on the treadmill and extra 3.832546 minutes for that.

Oh yeah, I'm still gonna eat it; it's just annoying.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I'm totally in love with the new flavors. That peanut butter cup Halo Top is insanely delicious! I eat a half a pint a day. It's glorious. Takes the edge off a low sugar diet and all the lovely fiber and protein! I want a post where people just share all the awesome products they've discovered! In addition to Halo Top, I'm in LOVE with shiritaki noodles/rice, IsoProtein pasta (30 g of protein/170 cal per serving!), and Flap Jacked Apple Cinnamon pancake mix (20 g protein/200 cal per serving--that's 3 pancakes!).
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be on the bandwagon for Halo Top but I'd rather eat Haagen Dazs or my own ice cream from scratch. Halo just leaves me with an extremely sweet aftertaste and it just didn't sit well with me. But I think it's awesome people were able to find it enjoyable. Whatever works.