Trying to eat better but hubby doesn't have too....

Options
2»

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just came back to MFP and started with a new profile as I couldn't for the life of me get in LOL. In 2014 I was able to use MFP to get close to my goal weight, the problem was I had to have 3 meals a day totally different then my family to do that. My husband is the cook in the family (I can cook great but he just prefers his cooking) and he likes cheese burgers, pizza, hot dogs, basically yummy food that isn't that healthy. When he wants to lose weight he stops drinking soda and BOOM 15 pounds are gone. He also said, and I agreed, that having to have 3 separate meals for me as well as for him and the family isn't doable. So I went back to just eating what they ate, and gained all my weight back and more :-( I am currently 155 and want to be 140, so I decided I'd do a separate breakfast and lunch, then family dinner to see if that helps even it out. I'm doing a meal replacement shake for breakfast and salad, frozen diet lunch or tuna fish sandwich for lunch. I'm going to eat the family dinner but just less.

Two question:

1). I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to track dinner, do I just search for what my husband made and select the one with the highest calories? He makes foods without a recipe, his food is ALWAYS great, but I have no clue what is in it.

2). If you're also in this situation, what are some ways you're being successful at weight loss when the family isn't eating the best?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and support.

I have to eat "my way", not what everyone else is eating. It wouldn't work for me to eat my husband's dinner. I need to weigh my food and eat the food that's best for me. That's just me.

When I ate differently, my whole family followed my example. I didn't expect that! It actually made it a little harder for me, because I had to stock enough for them to eat "my way." They STILL eat "my way". Total shock!

Recently I made the following salad when company came over, as a snack. The wife was saying her family and husband don't like vegetables. This made me smile, because I had learned what it means to lead by example. They ALL ate this salad, even the children, and the husband said he would eat this for breakfast (which is exactly what I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner....lots of veggies).

SALAD
    mixed baby spring mix salad greens (chopped)
    finely diced celery
    feta cheese (or blue cheese crumbles)
    crumbled bacon
    roasted pistachios (I get the unsalted from Trader Joe's)
    dried cherries or cranberries

vinaigrette:
    red wine vinegar
    olive oil
    touch of garlic powder
    big dose of italian herbs
    unrefined salt
    stevia to sweeten

Here's how I ate to lose weight (and my family copied me, even though they didn't need to lose weight)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/108738-hormone-resetters

• amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Prep your own food. I have 5 kids, work full time plus PRN but that doesn't mean my husband and kids have to eat the same as I do.